Software
Houzz Logo Print
beachy05

Help me choose siding color for new lake house!

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago


We will use Cedar Impressions 7" cedar shake (vinyl). We can use 'rough or perfection/smooth. We're open to suggestions but it seems the above 2 colors are the ones of the family likes best. We either wants awesome contrast or a soft look.

This is a narrow house -27X48 & is at a lake. House on one side of it is white & other dark browns. We are stuck between "SEAGRASS (on right) & CHARCOAL GRAY"/ All white trim/White windows & no shutters. Help!!

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago

    forgot to attach photo of house --

  • 11 years ago

    not sure why my photos aren't posting together--here's the entire siding color collection-Also - we'll be using the shingle on right -in darkest shade.

  • 11 years ago

    I appreciate your comments.

  • 11 years ago

    As far as choosing between the colors... Why not go with whatever your family likes instead of us? There is no right or wrong color, just what you prefer.

  • 11 years ago

    I was seeking advice because we can't decide. Sometimes others with more experience can point out something we haven't thought of.


  • 11 years ago

    I'm a high contrast sort of color chooser who is also fond of gray. I also really can't stand green painted walls so obviously you know what I would vote for. Having rented a lake house with summer with siblings and our kiddos, one of our favorite things was to ride around the small lake on the pontoon boat and look at the houses and their docks, "toys" and the color choices. I think lake houses, even though yours looks WAY nicer than the ones at this tiny lake, gives you an opportunity to have some fun so even if it's not gray, I'd go with maximum contrast because it's a way to give boaters directions to your house :-) Fun colored adirondack chairs would help liven up the area facing the water too.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank! I love high contrast too-just not sure if Charcoal Gray the way I want to go. Big Decision & I have to decide SOON!! Thanks again!

  • 11 years ago

    Beachy, I took at look at your profile and I'll make a few assumptions: you lean towards traditional style with more earth tones that offer contrast. I feel you will end up picking the Seagrass. They are both nice colors. If it's hard to commit to high contrast everywhere, maybe this is the right call for you. If you want to make the house a little bit more transitional on the exterior, I'd say gray and have a cool blue colored door like a teal or aqua or maybe something other than white for the trim (unless of course that ship has sailed bc it's already been done) or even a red door. I also like the blue option in the third row, second from the left. It's cool, fits in well with white and brown neighbors and can still be very traditional with wood accents and bright white trim and fun with brighter accessories or a different color railing. Please post an after pic! It will be nice to see either way.

  • 11 years ago

    Appreciate your comments. We also will re-side 2 small out buildings. I was considering board & batten on bottom & cedar shake on top half of these buildings. If I go Seagrass, i would consider a soft white in board & batten (doesn't come in Seagress). If I do Charcoal, I'd do board 7 batten on bottom of outbuilding with soft white on top. I also have a boat house to re-side. There are 4 buildings to side in all-including house-so the color is really important. A very large house 2 doors down is that blue so i don't want duplicate. I guess I'm worried about Charcoal being too dark but it's probably more of a sure bet-staying power-than Seagrass. I end up complicating these decisions!!

  • 11 years ago

    We should be friends... I LOVE board and batten in white, especially with metal roofs! Like I said, I'm not a green fan because I think it ends up making all trim colors look yellowish so I'm biased. I do tend to look at gray and white as a very nice backdrop for green grass, flowers and landscaping, tones in rocks/hardscaping and of course water. I also thought the gray looked better against what I am assuming is your composite decking, I thought the green looked okay, but a bit doll-house neutral (I think I was going for a way to say a Painted Lady that blends in). It sounds like you have a nice property and I'm still excited to see what you choose. One other option btw is to pay a consult fee with a designer who can see all the buildings in case there is another direction to go.

  • 11 years ago

    I think the family is leaning Charcoal because it is classic. Our last cottage was Savannah wicker (nice medium beige) and we never tired of it. although, no one wants to duplicate it & we want something current but staying power. Thank you so much for your help!!

    BTW, someone else told me the landscaping would not pop out with the Seagrass & that's why we are also seriously considering Charcoal Gray.

  • 11 years ago
    I love the Seagrass. If you have color in your landscaping the colors will definitely pop!
  • 11 years ago
    I like the seagrass but agree that vinyl siding is not the way to go. It may be inexpensive but you get what you pay for.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Consider a cement composite product such as James Hardy. I would share my opinion of vinyl siding but there may be ladies present.

  • 10 years ago

    Did you make your final decision? I am very curious what you chose.

  • 9 years ago

    Did you end up choosing the Seagrass or charcoal color? If so I'd love to see a picture.. I'm trying to decide on siding color now and at 37 weeks pregnant I'm so indecisive :) those are my top picks also