0
debby_scheck

My New Kitchen

Debby Scheck
September 17, 2015

We're moving into this house with a new kitchen. We plan to add an island using an antique buffet. What kind of countertop would you add to the island? What about backsplash ideas?

My Kitchen · More Info

My Kitchen · More Info

• Jillian - Interior design student

Have you decided upon a general color scheme for the home? Is your style more traditional, contemporary, rustic or the other?

• Debby Scheck

I'd say we're traditional. We love the neutral gray walls, but also love to introduce color in accessories. No color scheme yet.

• Jillian - Interior design student

Gray and brown together are a good combination and give you lots of flexibility to go blue and/or green with accents.

Pic#2 would like great installed vertically.

• Debby Scheck

That's what I'm not sure of -- gray and brown together. I was thinking a black granite countertop for the island (is that passé?) with similar tiles to what you picked out for the backsplash that pick up the black, gray and brown tones

• Mazzie

Your kitchen is very similar to mine (we have the same color cabinets). What color paint do you have on the walls?

• Debby Scheck

We don't live there yet, so I can't look at the paint cans! I'd say it's a grayish green, khaki color. I'll post when I check out the cans. Can you post a picture of your kitchen?

Ruebl Builders LLC

I think a wood counter top island would look great

• Mazzie

Photos of my kitchen are here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/3372176. We are looking to change the paint color (we also don't live here yet).

• thegypsyrover

Nice kitchen! If you are a baker, I would consider a marble top for your antique buffet. If you don't want the upkeep required for marble, there are quartz countertops that give a marble look. For a backsplash, consider tin ceiling tiles, left either silver or painted; they are reasonable in cost and would coordinate well with your antique island. Good luck in your new home!

Engrained Cabinetry & Countertops

A well-made butcher block top would be great in this space.