Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmarie3

Help My new couch doesn't work

11 years ago

I just got my new couch that I waited 4 months for and spent a lot on, and I feel it doesn't work with my old rug/table/chairs that I had with my old cream colored couch. How can I make it work! Suggestions much appreciated!! :)

Comments (14)

  • 11 years ago
    It perfect, this will be easy...sit a cream tray on your coffee tables, you need cram on that side of the room, get a cream throw for the sofa and some cream pillows,just need balance, also add some sparkle with mercury glass candleholders or something,and turn the two cream chairs straight as the are not working like that
    Dawn Templeton thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 11 years ago
    Can you move the chairs facing the window, what is behind where your back would be in this photo
  • 11 years ago
    Maybe try sitting something light under the coffee tables, the rug is gorgeous I think you can make it work with a few tweaks
    Dawn Templeton thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 11 years ago
    the rug doesn't look good with the new couch.
    Dawn Templeton thanked Carrie Kennedy
  • 11 years ago

    I think you need to try and find your rug a new home. It is beautiful but it is too similar to the sofa, which makes the sofa disappear. LOVE the sofa so help it to stand out. With so much texture in the sofa, I'd go neutral on the rug. Everything else works...I'd consider adding some gold pillows to pull the color from the painting and warm it up a little bit. BTW, pretty view out the windows!

    Dawn Templeton thanked columbia93
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Is the new sectional a bluish grey and the rug a warmer grey? If that's the case you might have to change out the rug.

    I'm guessing you might be using the pillows from the former sofa. Those fuzzy pillows on a a heavily textured sectional don't seem like a good fit. Maybe pillows that are the color of the lounge chairs will help lighten the right side of the room.

    Dawn Templeton thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 11 years ago

    Love the rug. Maybe try out some different colors of pillows on the sofa, to draw the eyes up a bit from the rug +sofa. Maybe even a bit of green in some pillows, like the green trees outdoors (that can be seen through the windows). I like the other suggestion of adding a cream colored item to the table, or generally, to that side of the room. The lighter cream color will make the lighter color in the rug stand out more too, lightening the sofa side of the room. Keep the rug and the sofa. They're great. Beautiful room.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Besides some of the suggestions already made you might look into a large round coffee table.

    If that isn't a possibility try turning the tables you have at right angles like the sofa. Have the longest part of the table facing the fireplace parallel to the sofa. Now turn the smaller table so it forms an L with the first table. Table mimics the sofa. Can we see a picture, please?

    Dawn Templeton thanked leelee
  • 11 years ago

    Do add dark pillows to light chairs and light pillows to sofa.

    Dawn Templeton thanked leelee
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! I will try some of them out and repost a picture!!

  • 11 years ago
    I would start with putting the darker grey pillows that are on the sofa onto the two chairs. I agree that a lighter rug or coffee table would help.
    Dawn Templeton thanked lnsail
  • 11 years ago

    I don't think any number of pillows will make that couch and rug play well together -- they're just too close. Too bad -- I love each separately (where did that rug come from??), and the room is gorgeous. Feel like if you could get the same rug in brownish tones, you'd be good, or, you know, a khaki couch, heh.

    Sorry about that! I know how disappointing it is when you find something you love and then have to do extra work to make it work, rather than just sitting back and admiring your luck. Hope you find a great solution.

    Dawn Templeton thanked acm
  • 11 years ago

    I agree. Separately, they are nice! Together, not so much. I would replace the rug.

    Dawn Templeton thanked rcarterworld