Software
Houzz Logo Print
geneva_bijou

Kitchen sink and counter colours

10 years ago
My kitchen cupboards are white, wall is black, the rest of the house is grey. I'm aiming for modern, clean and cool. Appliances are brushed chrome and black. My dilemmas:
-leave back splash painted black wall or mirrored?
-white, light or medium grey countertop?
-black Quartz or stainless sink?

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago
    I vote for mirrored backsplash, light gray countertop, and stainless sink.
  • 10 years ago
    Hmmmm, so stainless sink. Grey colored counters. Then how about glass tile backsplash? Bigger tiles, (see attached picture) subway tile sized? Glass just being clear toned so adds a little shine, dimension to the kitchen. Don't want it too dark. It appears that there isn't any natural light in there.
  • 10 years ago

    still stainless but a little interest

    Roman Pattern Stainless Steel and Pewter Accents Tile, Sample · More Info
    just a hint of color, think of it as a cool pool in your black sandy beach.
    Modern Mosaic Tile · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks all for the suggestions! Love the back splash ideas. There isn't a lot of light so yes, I should stay with light colours. I'll post a pic when it's done!
  • 10 years ago

    I feel you need to introduce light and avoid large areas of black. This idea works well:- from thedecorista.tumblr.com

  • 10 years ago

    Stainless sink. White subway tile backsplash. Gray counters. All classic will never go out of style. Allows you to add color with accessories which you can change often without a large expense. If you ever sell your house, you will not hear, the kitchen is dated.

  • 10 years ago

    Definitely a mirrored backsplash; stainless steel sink and a very light gray for counter tops

  • 10 years ago

    For a counter top, how bout butcher block? I put it in my reno and loved it - especially as it gives some warmth to the space. But also, I know someday someone will renovate everyone of these kitchens: so I like to go with biodegradable products which the wood is. I cringe at the thought of all the granite/rock being harvested for "pretty" countertops that will go into landfills later. And it looks very cold and un-interesting to me. Can't say I've seen a single rock countertop that added something.


    As for backsplash, the hightened counter area you currently have (4"?) is all anyone ever had until people tried to make backsplashes a design must have. Challenge with your space is how to end it as it meets the wall where the cabinets aren't. I think if anything, maybe find some interesting 4x4" or 6x6" tiles and run them along the countertop - not all up the wall. And if you do go up the wall, don't use decorative/"interesting" tiles, as it becomes too much...


    I could even see such tiles being white tiles, and every 3rd o 5th tile insert an interesting one - like these: http://emutile.com/


    And if using a color in such tiles, stay to something simple that can go with any other color/decor, as in the tiles noted before.


    And, if you are determined to do a backsplash, maybe something more like tin ceiling tiles that can be painted/color changed as desired: they become more of a texture to the wall.


    As for using mirrors, not everyone wants to see that much of themselves all the time. Could be a real turn off at re-sale time... http://www.decorativeceilingtiles.net/tin-ceiling-tiles/

  • 10 years ago

    Also, for a sink, go with an undermount. Stick to stainless or white: black is so trendy. I went with a Kraus something like this:

    http://www.kraususa.com/khf200-33-33-inch-farmhouse-apron-single-bowl-16-gauge-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink.html


    I debated about going with a clay or glazed sink and someone asked it if would ever be a rental - and if so, stick with the stainless - pretty indestructable. Never regretted it.


    Also, I prefer a single basin, not a double. More user friendly than 2 small basins. Also, I never fill the basin with soap/water for washing. Rather, I put soap on a sponge with a scrubby side so the soap is applied directly to what I'm washing: cleaner than sitting in dirty "dish water", and uses much less soap and water. (demonstrated to me by someone who grew up very poor.)



  • 10 years ago

    Agree with others, mirrored backsplash will be contemporary, clean and lovely here. IMO glass tiles, while lovely, will be just as out of date soon as avocado appliances. Save money by buying old mirrors from garage sales or thrift shops and having them cut to size. There is a variety of techniques you can use to make them look antique, which can bring unexpected character into a contemporary kitchen. That also eliminates worry about edge decay from exposure to water. It all just becomes patina. Stick them on with mirror mastic and voila, instant backsplash! Definitely spend some money and get new pulls. That alone will upgrade the look of your cabinets.

    Before you decide on countertop, determine what how you want the space to feel. Is your lifestyle one of entertaining, the kitchen to be used as a place to mix up Martini's or are you going to be cooking here for family every night? The high contrast of black & white generates a lot of visual energy and won't provide a calming interior. Going with a softer grey, all the way from stainless steel, gun metal grey laminate or Carrera marble can give you visual impact without being so jarring. Then again, if you rarely cook and need some punch in this open kitchen, black counters may be perfect. Do keep in mind, that if you go with mirrored backsplash, whatever you put on those counters needs to look good when doubled.

    If this was my kitchen, I'd buy cheap floor-length mirrors from a discount store and use the savings to upgrade the faucet, get great drawer/door pulls, a coordinating mirror switchplate for that electrical outlet and either Carrera marble countertops or a grey Quartz with similar veining.

  • 10 years ago
    Agree with the poster on white subway tiles (possibly dark grout if you go with a darker counter), light or medium gray quartz countertops. I hate busy backsplashes, they take away from the focus which should be 1. Cabinets, 2. Countertops 3. Backsplash IMO. Subway is inexpensive, brightens a dark kitchen, timeless. Nice contrast between all 3 features. If you do want a little more pizzaz, consider a light gray marble-type backsplash.