Software
Houzz Logo Print
wallizgrl

kitchen sink

10 years ago

we are looking to move to a new home and I love farmhouse style kitchens, however I am not convinced of a farmhouse (white) sink. We currently have an older Corian sink that is white and its CONSTANTLY stained from tea, coffee, etc. Anyone have any experience with the white porcelain farmhouse sinks staying not stained? Or should we just do with a stainless steel sink? I am thinking of black cabinets possibly if that matters...

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    I had a bisque porcelain drop in sink before we renovated, and over the years it got some scratches that I'd have to bleach to keep it looking good. I suspect any porcelain sink is going to have that type of issues.

    wallizgrl thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hello!

    I see you are looking at porcelain farmhouse sinks versus stainless steel. I will go through the pros and cons of both and bring up a few additional options for you.

    As far as porcelain, it is great because it is an enamel and is available in a ton of colors. It can also be formed into traditional designs or contemporary. Due to the vast options of colors, porcelain can look many different ways. Porcelain sinks are normally inexpensive. However, I see you were previously unhappy with corian due to it staining. Porcelain will also stain. Although, corian will stain easier than porcelain, it is definitely known to stain. Porcelain can also chip if you drop something heavy on it. I have seen many clients change out porcelain sinks because they have had chipping problems.

    When it comes to stainless steel, I think It has a much more contemporary and masculine look. Although they are a few companies who offer darker versions you are pretty limited to the traditional stainless steel color. However, it will match stainless steel appliances in your kitchen giving you a cohesive look in your kitchen. Stainless steel sinks really vary in price. It mainly depends on the gauge of the steel. Stainless steel is not known to stain and the heavier the gauge the less likely it is to dent. As for cons, I have seen stainless scratch. It depends on the finish of the stainless on how noticeable scratches are. However, on an apron front, or farm house sink, be careful when selecting the finish because that would be a very noticeable area for scratches. In addition, stainless steel does cause hot water's heat to dissipate more quickly. Stainless steel also has a tendency to be louder than other materials.

    Another material I would like to discuss is Cast Iron. This is the type of apron front sink I have in my own home. It has a glossy enamel finish like a porcelain sink. They are also available in tons of colors. So this type of sink can really change with the color you select. Cast iron sinks do have a type of porcelain enamel finish on them. However, it is a melted glass that is fused to the bare iron. This helps with chipping. Cons to cast iron sinks start with the cost. They are normally double of the other two categories. They are also extremely heavy. They require additional supports than other sinks. Although, as long as this is taken into consideration beforehand it is not a problem.

    Composite sinks are also great. We are using a composite sink in a design we are doing now. A composite sink is a granite or quartz composite combined with a resin. They are available in quite a few colors and have more of a natural look. They have more of a matte or honed look. They are very resistant to stains and scratching. However, I will say, if you want a true "farm house" look the composite sinks have a more contemporary look.

    Hope the information helps! Let us know what you decide to go with. :)

    Cosa Belle Interiors

    wallizgrl thanked Cosa Belle Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Cosa Belle Interiors, you have given me lots of great advise to consider!


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    ohhh i hated my white corian sink, too! every time a guest would leave their teabag in the sink instead of throwing it in the trash, i'd be soaking paper towels with bleach to clean it.

    i went with a stainless steel sink with the bottom wire grid in a very retro kitchen. life is too short to worry about cleaning a sink imho.

  • 10 years ago

    nnigrt, exactly! its not terribly difficult but just one more thing to have to do. Drives me crazy!!

  • 10 years ago

    actually thats what i had in mind acm, i just forgot to like TYPE IT lol.

  • 10 years ago

    OHHH, thanks acm!!


  • 10 years ago
    Ooh! I think the stainless sinks ACM posted would look great in a kitchen with black cabinets! Not sure I would call that a farm house look, but it would sure be cool.
  • 10 years ago

    Carol, not sure my style would be called farmhouse but I really like the exposed apron sink. Now to see what the budget can handle.

  • 10 years ago
    We have a Shaw fire clay farmhouse sink. Love, love, love it! So easy to maintain. If you purchase one though be sure to also buy the stainless steel sink guard that goes in the bottom of the sink to protect it. Google Shaw Fire Clay sinks. Can't go wrong.
    wallizgrl thanked kittykach