Software
Houzz Logo Print
drbevdc

Update dining chairs, paint?

10 years ago
We've been in our log home over 12 years. For the last couple of those, I've been slowing updating furniture, and evolving my style. The latest addition is the table we built for behind the sectional sofa, which I got inspiration for from this site! I know having a large computer in the center of the great room seems off-putting, but with 2 young children, I prefer to keep digital activities within my sight lines as long as possible!

When I moved the desk/table in, my large, rectangular oak dining table no longer looked "right." I had this lovely round walnut table downstairs, so I swapped them out. Now, I'm not sure the original ladder back chairs fit the new direction my style is migrating. Thoughts?

Also, the green paint on the walls is original, from 12 years ago. Time to repaint? What color? Am I getting too many clashing wood tones between logs, floor, furniture and cabinets? All feedback is welcome, however I'm not up to the task of refinishing logs or floors right now. Cabinets...maybe. I've included several angles for perspective. Thanks in advance!

Comments (30)

  • 10 years ago

    Love your house. Not crazy about the green- I think a greige ( gray/beige) might compliment all the lovely wood. I think the chairs fit your log cabin home but not your style. You have a more modern vibe.

  • 10 years ago

    Here are some ideas:

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks, Diane. I suspected "griege" was the next logical step. What you don't see is the 18' tall section in the foyer, along the stairs, that I'm dreading to paint. I suppose that's what a painter is for, though!

    If the chairs don't look out of place, I may not worry for the moment, and just keep my eyes out for something that strikes me. I'm also on the hunt for a couple small pieces to use flanking the large dining room window in place of a long sideboard.

    Also, the app kept telling me my post couldn't be posted "at this time," so please pardon me if this post is repeated multiple times!
  • 10 years ago

    What about red cabinets?

    Kitchen ideas for log homes · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Yes I think it is time to change the green colour - greige would be good.


    Also black dining chairs would look better. What about ones the same style as your computer/desk chair in pic 3.

    Dreux Stackable Steel Side Chairs, Set of 4, Black, Matte · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Absolutely get a pro painter. We had our hallway going upstairs painted this summer- it ended up being much cheaper than we assumed and we LOVE the end result ( same thing- 18 foot ceiling)- he even painted the ceiling, the rest of the upstairs hall and trim and was way under $800 !

  • 10 years ago

    For paint how about a silvery gray?

  • 10 years ago
    What about something along this line for chairs? I am apprehensive of fabric in the dining room, for at least 10 more years!

    Mountain Cabin · More Info
  • 10 years ago

    well as beautiful as that is, i in no way meant for you to do anything you are uncomfortable with. I was giving you many options, maybe you just want a rug or two or the pillows. or the kitchen paint. Only you know what you are comfortable with. Do it only if you think your family is ready for it. I really do not want you to have more work. i think if i did any fabric with the chairs it would probably be in the form of chair pads? look great when noone is there, easy to replace?

  • 10 years ago

    drbevdc those chairs are wonderful! Look like they would stand up well with your kids!

  • 10 years ago

    These chairs are walnut and vinyl, love the black. They mimic your counter stools.

    Mixed woods often happen with decorating done over time. I find if you have differing woods, if you can see each wood repeated in the space three times, you are ok. This Houzz article is worth a read.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-mix-wood-furniture-finishes-stsetivw-vs~995244

    Have you considered an area rug under your dining table as a transition between the wood floor and differing wood table?

    In the 2nd photo, the walls are Sherwin Williams Functional Gray, looks nice with the pine. I don't know if this is considered a warm gray, but I think it may look great against your fireplace.

    Thompson Chairs, Set of 2, Walnut White · More Info

    Architect's Studio · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I am on the painter's schedule, and am now living in my own 50 Shades of Gray personal hell. Anyone have a favorite gray/greige for wood tones? Thanks, all! I really have appreciated everyone's input!
  • 10 years ago
    I am on the painter's schedule, and am now living in my own 50 Shades of Gray personal hell. Anyone have a favorite gray/greige for wood tones? Thanks, all! I really have appreciated everyone's input!
  • 10 years ago
    Try looking at the colors in the stone around the fireplace....is there a color there that would work on the walls?
  • 10 years ago
    So far, I'm liking Amazing Gray SW 7044 and Analytical Gray SW 7051. (I think!) Both do pull well from the fireplace, and aren't flashing green or something else with the trim and kitchen cabinets.
  • 10 years ago

    I had the same thought, a colour that's in the stones in the fireplace will look good. Also, go for a light colour.


  • 10 years ago

    Maybe go for Useful Gray SW 7050 or Worldly Gray 7043, they are a tad lighter on the same strips. Your house seems fairly dark, which is why I'm suggesting to go for lighter colours.

  • 10 years ago
    I will get things narrowed down and paint some samples on the wall before the painter comes, and let you all weigh in again! :)
  • 10 years ago

    First off I am still giggling at your 50 Shades of Gray personal hell comment...I hear ya. I did try to 'paint' your room on the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer but the Amazing Gray and Analytical Gray didn't come up true in the photo ( looked too white) because of the lighting. I would strongly suggest you buy one gray sample paint like the Amazing Gray ( they are sure close) and then a true greige like SW Versatile Gray (which is just one shade lighter than SW Perfect Greige) paint and paint a few sections of you wall ( and especially near the fireplace). This will help you make the decision before your painter comes. Worth the $$ and it looks like Lowes ( if you are in the States and you have one near) sell the tiny samples- here is a link to Comfort Gray :http://www.lowes.com/pd_636697-678-HGSW3286_1z0yye3__?productId=50388842&pl=1

  • 10 years ago
    Diane,
    Thanks so much. I didn't have much luck with the visualizer tool either. Unless I photograph the walls under artificial light at night, there are always crazy shadows and light angles from all the windows. It was cloudy the day I posted the originals, or it would have been worse! Now I just have to plan the painting of random test sections of the walls around planned gatherings!

    Also, I appreciate everyone's input on lighter versus darker shades. The natural woods, which will have to be what they are for now, have "mellowed and yellowed" with time. I tend to gravitate toward the deeper tones, but I don't want to look like I live in a tomb.
  • 10 years ago
    Don't paint the samples on the walls. Make it easier on yourself and paint on large pieces of either foam board or poster board. Then you can move that around to different places to see it in different lights. Someone here suggested it, and I did that. Much easier than painting sections on the walls.

    And I like your table behind the sofa. Looks great!
  • 10 years ago

    LOL- I'd paint all over the walls since you have a pro coming in to fix it. That way you can try the area next to the FP as well as under the stairs etc etc....

  • 10 years ago

    removed the pics to help unclutter. get lost on gray tones. have fun!

  • 10 years ago


    River Ridge - Southwick · More Info
    the stone in this photo is very similar to my fireplace. Colonnade Gray is the wall color here.

  • 10 years ago

    Just a suggestion, ask a 'color expert' or do your own research. If you choose a grey that has a cool undertone, it will make your wood look even more yellow or orange. I'm assuming you would not want that. If you choose a grey that has a warm undertone, your wood will look better. Look at your last photo, the walls around your cupboards and the stairwell. Green is a cool color, so the wood looks even more yellow/orange.

    Don't put your paint samples on the green wall, you will never get a true 'read' on the grey color because your eye will see the green influence. If you have a piece of white primed drywall or an MDF board primed white etc, do that.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    i totally get what you're saying about clashing wood tones. would you be willing to paint your cabinets? What i think i'd do....if it were my home... is minimize all wood except for structural (floor / ceiling / walls) and paint everything else - including walls,within a tight tonal palate. i like the ladderback chairs with the cabin style home. don't like the stools. i understand the black thing....and why you have them, but the style of them and them being black against the wood backdrop of the island...it draws too much attention and they're just not that interesting.

  • 10 years ago
    Lovely home. I don't feel that there is a clashing of wood colour. Wood to me always looks good with other wood. Maybe it's the style of some pieces of furniture that does not feel right to you.
    Like the computer station behind the sofa. It's great there, and suits the open concept, especially as computers are not as huge as they used to be.
    Have you looked at Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Grey? It has both grey and beige depending on the light.
    Love your description of the 50 shades of grey personal hell. Too funny!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I see in your Fifty Shades of Gray photo, you have paint strips. They will help you eliminate. If the darkest colors on the strip look cool blue or green, don't use any on the strip. If they are a bit warmer or neutral, consider one on those strips. If you don't have the paint strip for your final choice, ask for it so you can see the 'base' color.

  • 10 years ago
    Bette,
    You're right! Narrowing by the darkest color on the strip is very useful to me. I've never been good at identifying undertones in the lighter shades--until the entire wall is that color! I think I am about to get it narrowed to 3-5 options to test. I really appreciate everyone's guidance and input! I live in a very rural area, so my options for a "local expert" are limited!