Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_washburn_chenard

Ideas for 80s Kitchen Update

We just closed on our first house! It was built in 1984 and I don't think much has changed. I'm not new to DIY and I have general ideas, but lack a vision to put it together and make it work.

We'd like to brighten up the space. (East window to right, over sink) Thinking of greys and blues/teals. Might put new doors on cabinets since the opposite side has some that are a more recent style. Glass panes up top? Some open shelves? Help!

Our budget is small for now. We'll eventually invest more I'm sure but for now we want it to look nice but work with what we have as much as possible. White appliances that all stay. Laminate wood look counter in good condition so will keep or use paint kit on it until we have more cash for new counter. Mostly finding a paint pallette that works and can coordinate/flow into dining and living room.

Comments (16)

• Ashley Washburn-Chenard
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is the view from dining room. I'm thinking paneling and trim white, then either the same color on wall as kitchen, or use cabinet color to tie it in.
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

You might be able to pry the panelling off the walls. Check behind an electrical outlet cover to see if it is the thin stuff or the thicker kind. If it doesn't pop right off, try painting it off white. If you plan to change the lighting, do that first so you can pick the right off white to go with the floor.

I would not paint the cabinets just yet. Give them a good scrub inside and out.

Your ideabooks are full of blue and white. Think about painting the wall above the panelling a light sky blue. Find a printed fabric for a window treatment or tablecloth, use the blue from that inspiration piece as a guide. Here's an Ikea fabric, for example: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90308104/

Original Author
    8 years ago
    Architectural Novice - Yes, we plan to remove the saloon doors. That doorway leads to laundry/mudroom.

I have debated grey cabinets and think I'd like the look. Do you think a blue wall that also extends into the dining room would work? I have a feeling the counters will look terrible regardless so I'm trying to figure out what "granite look" kit color might work. Or maybe we can live with it until tax return comes in then replace.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    apple_pie_order - We do plan to change light fixture. The layout is bizarre, with a main one in kitchen plus the light/fan above the counter that juts out. Not sure how to completely remedy that for a flattering look.

If we don't paint the cabinets, do you suggest leaving as is entirely or replacing the door fronts? I'll attach a photo of the cabinets on the other side that don't match. Trying to make it all blend.

Also, anyone have thoughts on if GF java gel kind of painted on (vs true stain) might work to darken the faux wood counters? I think with the colors we're considering that it would be more flattering.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also, here is a shot of the dining room from the other side. The window next to the door is a popout style too.
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

The kitchen has a nice lineup and balance. I found a picture that you might consider.

Here is a possible inspiration room. I love the grey and I am not a grey person. haha. So yellow ceiling, spot lights in ceiling, white upper cabinets, subway tiles aka Home Depot, uber cheap, and leave lower cabinets stained and just clean them up.

Chelsea Studio · More Info

Cream with dark backsplash and dark counters.....Rustoleum has a cool kit at Lowe's I believe.

This color is grogeous with a white room and butcher block counters.....and the white appliances could work nicely.

St Luke's Mews, Notting Hill, London · More Info

Again a deeper blue.

My Houzz: Deby and Vivek · More Info

Original Author
    8 years ago
    soosun2 - I love the counter and cabinet color in the second, and the wall color in the third. Seems I could take it in either direction. We spent the evening at Lowes and it was so overwhelming to look at all the colors lol. Easy enough to find some I like but deciding which looks best together is tough for me. (I am sure having kids and tired baby in tow didn't help!)

I kinda like a French Country or coastal style. I'm eclectic lol. I want it bright and breezy feeling, we're 30 mins from the coast (NW Florida) but cozy. We on 6 acres. But I don't want it outdated or too farmhouse (like my mom who has chicken decor everywhere).
  • MarleneM
    8 years ago
    Hi, based on what has been suggested already, and what you said you like, I thought this could be a good inspiration photo for you.
    Window Seat and Colorful Beach Decor · More Info
  • Lucy Gaffney
    8 years ago
    I definitely think your grey/green/blue idea would be really gorgeous.
    I would be inclined to keep the panelling- people pay good money to get panelling!! And it would add to the breezy coastal feeling you're after.
    Pick a nice shade of greige or duck egg and go with it on the cabinet doors and panelling. Paint all of the other wood (skirting and around doors) white. Get some cute cabinet handles to accessorise.
    Keep the counter tops, they will actually work with the grey/blue.

Then post another pic!!! And we'll take it from there!
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Now that I see the other photos, I realize it's more complicated than I thought. Is the dark brown trim around windows doors is also carried through as trim for the panelling? If so, do you want to keep it dark brown or paint it all white throughout the first floor? When was the house built, roughly?

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Picking up on Lucy's suggestion of blue cabinets with white walls, here's a beautiful inspiration kitchen:

Martha's Vineyard Beach Cottage · More Info

Lowell Street · More Info
    and here is a softer blue bathroom showing that light wood looks fine with the blue cabinets:
    Master Bath · More Info

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

If the paneling is glued on then I would leave it for now. The glue makes it more complicated. I think you could have a fabulous white kitchen. Few people have white kitchen floors. If you paint the cabinets white and the trim white then you could use rugs and curtains of any color you like. It is unfortunate if that brown trim is everywhere in the house. I don't like startling contrasts between walls and baseboards. Speaking of brown, I suggest you keep those cafe doors. I suspect you may want to use them one day.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    apple_pie_order - It is all the same trim, throughout the entire house. Single story brick home. The trim color is also used in the living room as mantle and beams along vaulted ceiling. I'd like to leave the mantle and ceiling alone but think we'll paint the rest white. My husband has found a blue-green he likes for the walls so I'm trying to match a grey for the cabinets. I'd like to avoid white cabinets but unsure if we'd like them blue.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    emmarene - I plan to keep those doors and repurpose them somewhere.

I've seen some lovely all white kitchens but not sure it's for me. Kids, pets, and whatever they track in from the outdoors (lots of dirt and rain around here lol) already mucks the floors up fast. I'd probably lose my mind keeping the entire room white.

I see a lot of two tone cabinets these days and like them. Perhaps I could pull of white up top with grey below, or a blue below. White would be less vulnerable to grunge and help brighten the space more?
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I like the idea of having the cabinets in a different shade of the color he likes for the wall. Here is a house as example

BenjaminMoore colors.