Software
Houzz Logo Print
memer23

Update or rip out?

10 years ago

Can anyone think of a way to update this or should I just rip it out? Its a beach house guest room and I'm trying to think of fun things to do with it.


Comments (27)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I find it quite intriguing. Especially the cute drawers and pulls. Painting it white is an option(as always). Of course depends on the look you are going for in the room.

  • 10 years ago

    Depends on how big the room is, and also if you have other storage. I agree with painting it.

  • 10 years ago
    Paint it!
    memer23 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    its not a big room, but not too concerned with storage since it will just be a guest room. I want to add a more aqua and blue. Bedding with be white with light blue trim and a white iron headboard (had them previously). Any ideas on paint color? Or how to make that cohesive with the heavy wood built-ins?

  • 10 years ago
    There are lots of painted paneling images to see on Houzz.
  • 10 years ago
    Bring some life into this cozy beach house guest room! Paint it out in a bright blue and add lots of white bedding...or go nautical and paint out navy and again add tones of white to the room with bedding and accessories. Maybe paint out the chair in a bright coral color.
    memer23 thanked zzmom40
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe take out the desk, enlarge the window and then put a bench seat to sit in front of the window. Depends on the view. Might take one of the cabinets to the right out for doing this too if the window could be made wider
    memer23 thanked aperson1961
  • 10 years ago
    If fun is what you are trying to achieve....than painting them out in a fun bright colors is the way to go...also I think the cabinets bring personality to the space. It would be sad to pull them out.
    memer23 thanked zzmom40
  • 10 years ago
    I would take the drawers on the left out and put them where you could use them, maybe in a cellar or in the tool room or garage. Put a nice comfy chair in its place and paint other furniture. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    I am so in love with that hardware I'd keep everything just to keep it.
  • 10 years ago

    I like the wood built-ins; they look sturdy and well-made. Maybe you could re-use, sell or donate them if you don't care for them yourself.

    I'd remove the window shutters (I think that's what you have) and replace with something soft and translucent.


  • 10 years ago

    We always found ourselves needing more linens, blankets and towels at any beach house--whether our family owned one, or when we rented one. So while you might not need the storage for guests, you might find it is helpful for linens and other "be achy" needs.

  • 10 years ago

    If you decide to rip it out, would you sell me the hardware? I think it is charming.

    Truly, I hate painting wood, but this looks like it was added, as the knotty pine in the ceiling has aged more, and the desk, well, I think some really skilled cabinet maker worked around a found piece. None of it matches the surround, so you might as well rework it to your taste.

    Here, I would think about grey washing the whole cabinet area (white usually makes pine reveal pink or mauve), replacing the desk top (and the chair), and definitely deleting the awful shutters. Pretty sheer curtains would be so much nicer. Bring your blue into the room with the desktop, chair (maybe upholstered, so it could be used as a side chair), and sheers in a pale blue, with a white blackout shade for privacy.

    The little oval mirror from an old dresser is cute. I'd keep it, and paint it blue with a grey wash. Without the shutters in the background, I think it would look nice.

    Bring the black hardware back into the scheme with a period (twenties, craftsman) light fixture, or black or hammered metal finish iron bed. All the white and blue bedding you envision will really stand out.

    PS I'd stay here in a heart beat, even as it looks today.

    memer23 thanked drememon
  • 10 years ago

    Definitely keep it.

    memer23 thanked holly98
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Annie Sloan gray chalk paint just on the desk, gray beachy print curtains, new desk chair.

    memer23 thanked terry toon
  • 10 years ago

    I really think you should paint it all bright white! I think you could take out the two right portions for a big open shelving unit and paint the back of it a bright color- then you can add curtains to run across it in another fun fabric so the room is softened a bit. and you still have that personal joy of a pop of color when you are folding linens or beach towels. I would Remove the wooden shutters off the window to bring in more airiness and light and if you need to maybe add a glass film to the bottom portion if privacy is an issue. Paint your ceiling a lovely grey-blue to keep the dreaminess alive. Keep your hardware black. Have fun!

  • 10 years ago

    It's charming and useful the way it is. If you want an update, remove the tiny rug, change the fan light kit and add a couple power strips for recharging electronics. The cuckoo clock could go somewhere else if it is not obvious how to keep it from cuckoo-ing at night.

  • 10 years ago

    By the way, it's useful to spend the night in your own guest room to see how nice it is or if it needs anything.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Knockout Knobs can create the perfect custom hardware to update this guestroom. Our nautical designs are great for a beach house. We use 3D printing technology to turn your passion into your hardware.

  • 10 years ago
    If you paint the cabinets - the first step is primer. How about prepping it and coating it with a good primer and see how its looking before you rip anything out? The paneling and cabinets make it unique and cozy. There is nothing cozy about a box covered in drywall. Maybe leave the ceiling wood for now - the contrast may be neat. You want an oil based primer for sure.
  • 10 years ago

    Fun tread, I'm coming along for the ride!

  • 10 years ago

    I vote for paler blue green paint on the panelling and even one or two shades deeper on the "closets and desk" casework and all lower trim including shutters so you can leave the ceiling and the window grids natural but it still flows.

    Historic yarmouth or gossamer blue on walls (even behind / above desk) and stratton blue on front and side walls of closets (so they look like armoires), doors, drawer fronts, desk, and back of entry door, baseboard and other window trim / shutters. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gossamerblue

    Here's stratton blue on horizontal tongue and groove walls and trim and doors.

    Historic House · More Info

    Here's the slightly deeper casework shade.

    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/strattonblue

    Here is the look of pale blue green walls (bm yarmouth blue) and trim creamy white. Since the texture of your walls is paneling / plank, I like the historic look of tonally painted walls and casework - My suggestion is a combo - pale blue green wall like this and do stratton blue casework. .. .

    Traditional Bathroom · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I would not paint the wood, I think it may benefit from a wash or colored pickling in the colors you like. You will have the benefit of the color, but still see the wood. I believe with the construction of the units every time you open a door or drawer you will end up with chipped paint.
  • 10 years ago

    I like them, they are pink. I hate the hardware and it does not say Beach to me, it says Lodge.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all so much for your feedback and ideas! I have to think it all over-I'll remember to post the finished product when it's done