Software
Houzz Logo Print
melyndas

What to do with some wtf plumbing?

10 years ago

Here is the very interesting set up at the kitchen sink of my new rental. The owners are pretty chill about me doing things, so if anyone can give me some diy ideas to make this into a workable sink area without requiring a plumber and a construction crew I would be incredibly grateful!

Currently, the water comes out very fast and too close to the back edge of the sink, so it splashes out of the sink to the wood behind (I have no idea why it isn't rotted out already...this area gets soaked and drips down to the floor below every time I wash a dish!).

If not a way to extend the "faucet", any ideas on a way to make a backsplash to redirect all that water back into the sink?


At the moment I am considering getting some copper and wrapping the entire counter. And maybe building a shield to stand up along the back of the sink, to block the water. That would only make the darned thing look funkier, but at least I wouldn't have to mop up the floor after every round of dishwashing.


Looking forward to some creative ideas!




Comments (15)

  • 10 years ago

    Oooh, I love the copper wrapping idea!

  • 10 years ago

    Would one of those silicone/rubber sink liners minimize the splash?

    Melynda thanked brickln
  • 10 years ago

    No, I don't think it would make much difference...the pressure is high and because it is such a short spigot it is super close to the back edge, so any time I use the water (hold anything - dishes or my hands - under the flow) it directs half of it over the back edge. But thanks for the idea...that's the kind of brainstorming I'm hoping for!

  • 10 years ago

    Extend the end of the tap with a piece of hose until a plumber can come and screw in a proper extension?

    Melynda thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    there's no threading to screw things on there, if a plumber ever comes out it will probably be to reroute the whole thing under the counter and put in a real faucet...but I could probably get some hosing to stay in place. I'm imagining using some copper wire and beads to turn it into an elephant with his trunk washing my dishes!

  • 10 years ago

    I've used a hair washing thingy to extend the tap in the bath for my kids and dogs.

  • 10 years ago
    Could you add or clamp on a pull-out spray hose?
  • 10 years ago
    Ok my husband say's "you should be fixin' your landlord, not the plumbing"
  • 10 years ago

    Is your landlord a Hatfield or a McCoy?

    Are there no building codes in that area? No certificates of occupancy? That is truly pathetic.

    For the cost of a propane torch, flux, solder, and a bit of pipe and couplings, you could lengthen the part that hangs over the sink. But...that setup is an accident waiting to happen. Copper is very weak, and if you bump that 'spigot' with a pan of water, it with bend or crease or--worse--split, and you'll have a real mess.

    Those aren't even real faucet valves, they are cut-off valves and not designed for proper control of water flow. They are designed to be either open or closed; that's why you have a hard time with water pressure.

    I can't believe it's legal to rent that place (I bet it's not).

  • 10 years ago
    Wait, what? Quit horsing around. Smart women capable of eliciting the sympathy you have don't sign leases on this kind of junk.
  • 10 years ago

    Melynda, you need a plumber to come out, what does the landlord say?

  • 10 years ago

    Y'all are misunderstanding me here, I think. I really don't mind the set up, and have lived with much odder in my life! I know that someone, someday, should redo a ton of things in this crazy place. But I quite like it, nonetheless. I just was hoping for some ideas that I could do myself (since the owners are okay with me fixing things up to suit myself) to make it a bit more practical without getting into major renovations.


    The landlords are nice, and happy to let me do as I please without breathing down my neck, I'm happy to return the favor. In my price range, I looked a bunch of in-law or studio places that had proper plumbing but no real cooking set up or enough space for me to spread out. I like the idea of clamping on a hose to extend the water so it lands all in the sink...then I won't risk bumping the "faucet". The previous renter in this place was here for 8 years, so it has held up to usage for that long, I probably can't do too much damage even if I leave it as is.


    I spent 5 months living in tents while building a home, then another year with no running water and only temporary electric...I can totally be happy with funky plumbing! I pick my battles, and have no desire to cause a rumpus over something like this when I could see it all before I chose to sign the lease.


    I really do appreciate the ideas, and the support, everyone offers. Please don't think I am either ungrateful for your feedback, or a doormat who can't stand up for herself to her landlords. I am pretty happy with my odd little cottage, and just would like to reduce the amount of water I get all over the floor without actually rocking the boat. :-)


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Clamped on a lot of hoses, have ya?

  • 10 years ago
    Please get a hose that is rated for drinking water. Marine supply store would have it. Better would be to get what you need from a reStore: sink, cabinet, faucet, backsplash and countertop can all be found there in expensively. We redid a small cottage with many trips to our local re Store.