Software
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_morettin

9 ft ceiling cabinets

2 days ago

I have 9 ft ceilings in my new build. I am thinking I should take the kitchen cabinets to the ceiling, but I also think it would be a waste as I do not know what I would use them for. Is it so bad not to go to the ceiling now?

Comments (10)

  • 2 days ago

    I queried Copilot Ai and the answer depended on whether you want the kitchen to feel sleek and built‑in or warm and traditional?

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    You have 2 options. You can have display cabinets on top of your standard 42" H cabinets and use them to display items or you leave the space above your cabinets open. This will give you the option to display items openly.

  • 2 days ago

    With 9 ft ceilings I would definitely go to the ceiling. One single cabinet door. You can store holiday baking/serving stuff that you only use a few times per year. I always keep a slim/lightweight 3-step step-ladder in the pantry, laundry or a nearby closet.

  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    I'd go to the ceiling. The extra storage is great for season items that belong in the kitchen, no need to store away somewhere else.

    You could also add a library ladder rail if the room is especially large.



  • 2 days ago

    I'd definitely go to the ceiling:

    - It eliminates unsightly dust-catchers.

    - It's a calmer, more finished and polished look.

    - If you choose cabinets for the tip-top, you gain a little more storage -- perhaps for seldom-used serving dishes or holiday cake pans. Things you don't need often.

    - If you choose cabinets-to-the-ceiling, you can opt for a second, separate shorty-cabinet at the top ... or you can have one tall cabinet door ... or you can have two smaller doors over one cabinet.

    - If you don't necessarily want more storage up top-top, you can build in a wooden soffit /also called a bulkhead above the cabinets. This will cost less than extra cabinets and will still give you a finished look.


    The only reason NOT to go to the ceiling: Cabinets are tremendously expensive already, and adding another foot isn't free.

  • PRO
    2 days ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

    Go to the ceiling for sure. AI is not now or ever will be in the near future a designer . The fact is an empty top of cabinets collects grease and dust and a bit more storage has never been a bad idea in any kitchen.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    What will your cabinets look like? Custom or stock?

    What style is the house? True custom build?

    This is a look I like when cabinets do not go to the ceiling.



  • yesterday

    ^^^^^, context is key. There is no definitive yes or no answer.

  • PRO
    yesterday

    I love the idea of a library rail system but wonder if it is really practical. Would you always be moving the ladder out of the way to access lower cabinets?

  • PRO
    yesterday

    A few builder's notes that have not come up yet. The numbers: with a 9 foot ceiling and the usual 18 inches between counter and uppers, you have 54 inches of wall above the counter line. A 42 inch upper with a built-up crown or a flat riser panel closes that gap without a second row of boxes, which is a good middle route if you do not need the storage. Decide before you order: adding matching boxes or trim later is hard, because finishes vary from one production run to the next and door styles get discontinued. Ceilings are rarely level, so ask for a two-piece top trim that can be scribed to the ceiling. And if a range hood or a tall pantry is in the run, set their heights first and line the uppers up to them.

    Rick Bozetti – Bozetti's Design + Build