Software
Houzz Logo Print
atrombe1

Desperately need help with living room paint color

10 years ago

Hi!

I'm a newby to the advise threads and I'm in desperate need of help finding a paint color. The kitchen flows into the dining area which is open to the living room. The kitchen and dining area are Sherwin Williams Kilm Beige and i don't love it. I want to, and i'm trying too because it's staying.

Anyway, attached is what I am working with as well as a stacked stone I am considering doing on the TV wall.

I want something to warm it up and I'm drawn to green's and blues but I'm open to suggestions. Please help me!!!

This is my kitchen table and it's staying.

This is the stone in the showroom.


Your thoughts!?!?!?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The stacked stone is great. What I don't like is the color of the living room. Paint that kilim beige, too. Then add some great accent colors.

  • 10 years ago

    Right, the LR is the last room I need to paint. We've gutted the kitchen and are working our way to the LR next and I need to pick a darn color.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My God, I think you are right! There is actually very little wall space to paint besides the TV wall (which I want to put the stone on} and I think leaving the Kilm Beige would lighten the LR up a tad. The window in the pic faces north so I don't get nearly as much natural light as I'd like too. Thank you! :)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    American Graffiti Denim and Jute Rug, 5'x8' · More Info

    You are welcome...kilim beige is beautiful, but needs good coordinates to work in an open concept. For instance, this pillow (overstock.com) works for your sofa. Look for a rug in the same tones. You will be surprised at how gorgeous your open concept rooms will look.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I honestly can't tell you the instant relief I feel, I can't wait to start decorating! Ideally I'd like to finish the basement next and then get new furniture for this room. Dare I ask your thoughts on a sectional? The room is not that big, that TV wall is about 13 feet wide - the house itself is under 1500 sq. ft. so pretty small.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You can certainly do a scetional. Just measure carefully. Choose one where the chaise runs under the front window...just like this: a right facing chaise.

    Traditional Family Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    They are close to the same size but I would say the living room is a touch bigger.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Just checking....you are going to hang the t v on the stacked stone, correct? I like it, but are you sure you want to spend that much money?

    There are some wonderful wallpapers that would give a great job at accenting that wall for much less.

    Whitewash Wood Wall Mural · More Info

    Brushed Wood Wallpaper, Tuscan, Double Roll · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I'm unsure if I'll hang it or not...I could take it or leave it. I found the stone for under $6 a sq. ft. so the stone may be in the budget but it is not purchased yet. Maybe paint first and then decide?

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Good idea...good luck. Think the one color kilim beige throughout the space will work.

    If you don't like it when finished, get back to me. You mentioned into our chat that the room faces North. A color choice particular to the natural light you are getting could be a solution. Then you could go with BM crystal blue in both rooms. Perfect with North light.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love the Brushed Wood Wallpaper, I'm going to start looking for places that carry it and see if I have the guts to try it. I love color but I'm afraid of it at the same time.

    In the dining area is a pretty green glass tiled fireplace, so I have to take that into consideration with paint, but I think it's far enough from the couches that I can still do fun color in the living room with accent pieces.

    Don't mind all the clutter, these pics are from the previous owners.

    The mantle is going to be stained next week.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Are you sure you want the mantel stained and not painted your wood work white?

    Brushed Wood Wallpaper, Tuscan, Double Roll · More Info


  • 10 years ago

    I wasn't sure at all if I wanted it stained or painted. So I thought if I stained it dark to match the hearth and didn't like it, I could paint it white.