Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethkial

I need your advice on grow light setup please

Al Sharp
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi

I've read, searched and researched on my topic and cannot find a proper answer, so I'm putting myself at your mercy and kindness.

I would like to start a fairly large quantity of Japanese Maple seeds and grow them from seedlings to about 2 to 3 feet high under lights and heating mats. I will need to fully illuminate 16 1020 trays at a time, or 4 areas of 48"x22" either separately or combined.

I have been looking at T5 HO fixtures, but wanted to stop and get your input before I go any further. Please pardon me for my newbitity, and ask me if there is any other info you might need to help me decide on what might best work in my specific case and where I might go to find what I need.

I really appreciate all of the advice and time you each dole out and want you to know I won't forget any help that you might throw my way.

Thanks a lot!

Timothy

Comments (4)

• D Z
    8 years ago

Hi Tim! I'm a bit of a noob myself, but from what I understand, trees need lots of light. I would think hid lights would be your only option. Someone else here should be able to provide how much. Best of luck!

• Al Sharp
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, D Z! I have looked at all types of lights, but I would like to get the most economical setup for exactly what I need. If I can accomplish growing Japanese Maples to a healthy height of 3 feet with 12 T5 HO bulbs over an area of 4 feet by 22", then I would probably jump on that. If I need more light, I am willing to explore that also.

I really thought that I would get a few more experienced opinions. I may post this, with an explanation, on another GardenForum site hoping to get more answers.

I really do appreciate you answering, my friend! Thank you very much!!

• way2maykids2003
    8 years ago

I grow a variety of herbs and other plants indoors under lights-specifically t12-without any growth issues. These are mostly plants that require full sun such as basil, rosemary and agave. That being said Japanese Maples do not require as much light as those full sun plants and in fact leaf scorch can occur if given too much light. I grow Japanese Maples in my garden and most are in mostly shade positions, so I would assume that the seedlings require the same growing conditions as their parents. So, I would not overthink the lighting if you want to grow them-I am sure they will be easier than you think.

• Al Sharp
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for responding, way2may. I am also looking at a quantity of T8s instead of the T5s as a solution. And, I have an opportunity to pick up a 400w Floralux MH, used, on Craigslist for $75. I can get one new for less than $150, so I don't know whether to jump on it either. I am vacillating big time as I am new at this and don't want to spend money and then regret it.

I really do appreciate your kindness in responding, my friend. Thank you!