Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savannahraedesigns

Help Me Create A Contemporary Living Room With Subtle Glam

Ashley Palmer
8 years ago
Hello Friends,

Me again. So I've been working with all of you fabulous Houzzers to create a space I love.

My house was an empty slate when I first came on here and with every new design dilemma, I get one step closer to making my space feel like home. I've been through all kinds of design style Mockups but every purchase I've made has been solid and brought me here to this latest idea and dilemma today.

Today, I'm looking for help to create a contemporary space with a bit of glam in it. I'm not a fan of clutter so less is more with me. Here are photos of my space so any ideas will be appreciated. I'm especially struggling with drapery and fabric options for throw pillows as I like my spaces on the light side of contemporary.

Please Note: I know my setup is not ideal to some but for the record, we are very happy with it and do not plan to rearrange furniture, paint again or replace anything already here with exception to the end table (a freebie) and the tree (another freebie) at the door.

It's also worth mentioning that I am on a budget but if it's something I really like I will consider it. :-)

Thanks so much everyone!

Comments (135)

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Tems okay thanks. I like the ones that look "hidden" as well. Wish I could do track ones (like the hotels) but not an option. lol We took back the white pillows. Hubs said too glam. :)

@Amy thanks for sharing that story. It made me smile. Full disclosure, we all love laying on the floor. I found myself putting a couch pillow on the floor last night. For some reason, the rug felt better than the sofa and the sofa is super comfy. I guess it was a rug kind of night. That's one reason I initially didn't want "glam" or fancy because Im more for comfort and practicality. Heck if I had it my way, I'd have a slip cover white sofa. :)

@havingfun Interesting about the white... Hmmm Tems had a point about my trim. It's bright white. Yikes! I think I should choose the sofa pillows first then find sheers with colors from the sofa pillow? Which i do like the two colorful pillows you posted. Oh and I took back the faux fur pillows. They were too glam for us. After talking to the hubs, he said he wanted stuff that looks nice, but he likes color. (He is from the caribbean after all so I wouldn't expect less.) Heck we were about to paint our dining wall lime green or bright bright turq/blue (synergy from sw). But after a previously posted dilemma, we chose a more subdued but bold wall. I think he's missing that turquoise.

I will check out the sheers you linked. I worry about the color block. For one it will get expensive considering I probably need like 8 panels. Yikes. And two because Im not sure how that many will look bunched up.

@joiz2 I am definitely working on the pillows. Thanks so much

• Tems
    8 years ago

So subtle glam is out? ;) Revisions!

I think you can do less drapes than that. I think it's enough to just frame the window instead of covering that whole part of the wall, as long as it looks nicely full and wide enough on the sides. No skimpy sheers!

Maybe also retire the blingy side stool and go for a more casual one. The fur pillows I would replace with something with a lot of white in it as well because it looks really nice on the charcoal sofa.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    8 years ago

You've created a beautiful space, and as some have mentioned, you can use some artwork on those walls. I specialize in large contemporary art and I think a large canvas print on the wall where that tree is will make a big statement. Running 20% off this weekend. Some samples here. Enjoy decorating!

Large wall art on canvas in modern contemporary living room · More Info

VERY LARGE tree wall art print abstract landscape teal blue artwork · More Info

Contemporary bedroom design dark gray walls artwork zen style furniture brown · More Info

Very Large wall art Tree Art artwork Print Canvas Abstract orange gray · More Info

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Tems yes subtle glam is out. :-) I agree I need white on the sofa. I loved how it brightened the space. Just not fur white. Lol

Oh so cheaper sheers are usually thinner? That explains why my target sheers at my front door are so skimpy. But hey it works for keeping the light and preventing people from completely seeing in. :-)
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @havingfun the one problem I run into is the length. I need at least 98 inches. If I want it at my crown mounding and barely touching the ground, I need 105". That was another reason why previously I was going to have the mother in law sew them. Which even that can add up. Lol
  • Tems
    8 years ago

With curtains the fabric choice is about as important as color/pattern imo. It has to have the right feel or its just wrong.

For your space, Im pretty convinced a light sheer is a very good choice because its light and bright. Im not that into patterns and multicolors with the drapes because I feel that will take too much away from a serene feel(which Im guessing you still want atleast some).

Even further into detail I keep thinking that a bit textured curtain will be just the right dose of casual and warmth. I think usually linen or linen blends have that. Along these lines(color Im not so sure, just something light)

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @tems I think linen or linen blends are gorgeous. I'm a fan of linen pants (especially here in south Florida).

I feel like it's so hard for me to make decisions about my space. From the beginning, Hubs wanted sheers but one day I mentioned linen and he said even better. What got me off linen was trying to decide color and type and then the price of them. I know ikea makes some linen and linen blend curtains.

I love the restoration hardware linen curtains lol. Just out of budget. However, good thing mother in law can sew them for me.
  • Tems
    8 years ago

I would recommend investing in nice fabric. It has a real impact. That's one reason why getting neutral curtains is a good idea, as you likely won't get tired of them. However we can exclude the restoration hardware ones. lol Im positive there are reasonably priced textured sheer curtains somewhere

• havingfun
    8 years ago

gosh, just had to get rid of some. could not even find myself. I do not equate inexpensive with skimpy. just as i do not equate expensive with quality. Mine is the adverse reaction. I am going to double check the cheaper ones, mainly cause they so often have that glossy look, but i am going to check expensive too, cause often they are not any better. A perfect example, there is a small pickle company in a tiny local town, known to have some of the worst working conditions around, and yet one of the like 12 brands they list as making is Emeril. And they don't even make vlasic's!

so I what I would like to return to one more time, we have found beautiful fabrics. it will save so much money. all you need to do is use one of the fab new glues they make or the hem tape and you will have saved oodles normally.

Aha, perfect. 110" wide! $9.48 a yard. Silver sheer linen, slubby like tems said.

I do not feel this needs to go to your top molding, i think it will leave a hole in your molding. general feeling is that it should be roughly 6" above window. 2 yards should cover it and leave leftover.

110" Faux Linen Sheer Silver - Discount Designer Fabric - Fabric.com · More Info

• havingfun
    8 years ago

oh, i don't think it is silver thread it is silver as in color.

• suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Like all that natural light; plant is a great touch.

With the black sectional and taste for fuzzy pillows, go modern metal and glass (or painted black or white) with your tables and modern with simple straight clean lines (silver colored post) for any lamps, whether table or floor lamps. If you opt for wood for contrast, check out Danish mid century modern.

With modern, you could go with vertical vinyl blinds that are window length -- I've had them in another home I had and found them to be very practical and relatively inexpensive. They come in a myriad of colors that could enable you to add your favorite color to your room. Add additional pillows and/or art with the same color you choose for the blinds.

Space for a second end table and/or light for the corner of your sectional seems limited so check out wall hung swing arm lights for above your sofa for on the solid wall. http://www.target.com/p/simplicity-wall-swing-arm-lamp-brushed-steel-finish/-/A-11127903?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11127903&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Lighting%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Lighting&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1015286&gclid=CPOUhceg18kCFZY0aQodEPkM7g&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So about the white/off white conversation. Here's someone with the same rug who has a white table on the rug. You can see the difference between white and the actual color of the rug.

@havingfun i have to go on the computer to see that. And wow I didn't know they make fabric that wide! Thanks I'll check it out, gotta head out to Home Depot to get a new part for the toilet. Sigh.
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @tems I agree about nice fabric. Which is why buying online is horrible at times. I will be ordering more samples. :-)
  • Tems
    8 years ago

I just do these for my own amusement...I don't expect any more compliments and such(lie)! lol Im glad if they offer any ideas though

Ashley Palmer thanked Tems
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @tems haha. You're really good at what you're doing. Okay so with the latest mockup, I'm not sold on the linen in that shade. I personally love the look of the sheers behind the sofa all the way to the wall. Not sure if it's the white I like making the room feel brighter and happier or if it's the sheers. If you're bored, can you try white linen for kicks and giggles? :-)
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Well it's not much different from one of my previous photoshops. Im not sure it would look quite so luminous in real life though, but I like it

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol I know what you mean. It's something about the idea of sheers I like. :-) maybe the beach feeling. I'm all for the breeze. :-) although I'm 10 miles from the beach so I don't get that breeze :-(

i I feel bad asking for so much but if you have free time, can you do a fun, vibrant beach inspired mockup? You know bold hues like chartreuse and turquoise? I know this is a glam post.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

then my vote is you either go back to white sheers or you go with something like yellow to give you more brightness. Let give you a few sample of beach pillows, yep i got those too, each one represents a set of 3 or more.

Coastal - Throw Pillows · More Info

Amazon.com - Cotton and Flax Ocean Park Theme Decorative Pillow Cover Case D 18" · More Info

Amazon.com - Cotton and Flax Ocean Park Theme Decorative Pillow Cover Case D 18" · More Info
    a couple cool individuals:

Isadella Coral Throw Pillow, Navy Blue · More Info

Blue Decorative Pillows | Online Fabric Store · More Info

Ashley Palmer thanked havingfun
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Techinically I should work, but I made a mock up instead!

Something like this? I gave into turquoise sheers

Here's a toned down version incase the above is a little overkill

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ahhh, it is ele! where did you find those, most i have seen are running darker or less see through, which also makes them darker?

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ooooooooooo me likes alot! :) So bright and happy. :) Are the pillows yellow or lime?

• Tems
    8 years ago

@havingfun I made them that color! lol Definitely like them light

@Ashley they are yellow

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm going to show the hubs that tomorrow to see his reaction. I really like it. :-) (the sheers give it a bit of a glam look. Subtle but there)

it reminds me of when we were planning to paint our walls bold colors! Maybe that's what we need. I'll update you mañana.

Question: Do do you think my rug works with bright bold hues? Had I seen that design pre ordering rug, I might have gone with a more bold rug.

Anyways, thanks again and oh get back to work! Lol

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@havingfun do you have any yellow pillows in your Arsenal? I was thinking chartreuse but wondering if yellow would be a better choice? It's an accent color in my daughters bathroom so I think adding it elsewhere might be a smart option.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

tailored, but one of the really nice clear color pillows

Products tagged with 'Pintuck Pillow Cover' · More Info

K&D Fuzzy Pillow Banana, Set of 2 · More Info
    Velvety
    Pillows : Decorative, Accent & Throw Pillows | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Decorative Accents : Decorative Pillows | Hayneedle.com · More Info

Modern Decorative Pillows | AllModern · More Info

Tropical Birds Indoor/Outdoor Pillow · More Info

Amazon.com: bird pillows decorative · More Info

Cockatoo Pillow · More Info

Amazon.com - Decorative Animal Red Fox Thick Cotton Linen Throw Pillow Cover Car · More Info

Throw Pillows & Decorative Pillows | HomeDecorators.com · More Info
    what was the question again? tehehe going to play before beddy bye!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ashley are you still only getting 4 pics?

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Good morning! On my phone it shows only four. I'll have to hop on the computer to see the rest.
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here's an ivory linen swatch on my rug so you get a better idea of its color.
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Good morning! To answer your question re rug color I am almost certain bold colors work nicely with your rug. I have seen many pictures with those moroccan rugs combined with bright colors. Maybe not neon but more jewel tones. I also think your rug works fine with purer whites.

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Muchas gracias and good morning TEMS! Jewel tones.... Hmm
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Dont ask me what are jewel tones!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i would say yes to all but the third.

• Tems
    8 years ago

Of course I had to photoshop them in, I found that 1, 3 and 4 flow together quite well since all are "jagged". Though the 2 isnt bad either I like all of them

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@havingfun wow I finally saw the pillows... haha love them... :) thanks so much :)

@Tems ooohhh both look nice... thanks a bunch for the visual.... I also like the white sheers of course. :)

Ok all of these designs and ideas are nice... Now I need to make decisions and figure out what Im doing.... I will look over them over the next few days... thanks a bunch everyone!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

wait, one last question, it looks like the ivory goes great with the rug, are you happy with the trim too?

• Roberto Fortuno
    8 years ago
    Put a brown coffee table and place flowers in a vase or some magazines on it. Also, hang some paintings or photographs that you like on the wall. Be very careful when you are choosing a frame: it could change the room's style completely! A black or gold frame might work nicely. I hope this helps!
  • Roberto Fortuno
    8 years ago
    Also, put some curtains. I suggest white. You may also want a nice, modern floor lamp. It looks great though!
  • PRO
    Phancy Design, Inc - Turnkey Renovations
    8 years ago

Glass coffee table will keep the space open and airy. Bold, bright, contrasting artwork, drum side tables and plush pillows should do the trick!

• Roberto Fortuno
    8 years ago
    Here are some furniture pieces I found that you can put in this room. I hope you like them!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

I believe i am about out for the night. write and i will come in tomorrow. bye!

• Tems
    8 years ago

Good luck Ashley! You certainly have received lots of ideas...I don't think it's possible to do them all simultaneously...at some point you just have to commit! lol

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @havingfun I love the white trim. I considered changing it to a warmer white but I think that I will not be happy in the long run.

@tems yes too many ideas and I can't do them all at the same time. :-) nooooooo commitment issues....... ;) I will eventually commit. It's so hard because I want different things for different reasons. Bold and colorful and I love contemporary with subtle glam. How does a lady choose? (Hint: force her husband to make the decisions) yeah right. Lol thanks for everything TEMS
  • Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @Phancy Designs thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

@roberto_fortuno love those floor lamps. Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

No Ashley, sorry, guess did not say right? are you happy with the ivory fabric against the white trim?

• Ashley Palmer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ havingfun sorry hubs had surgery today.... I don't know which I prefer. I think the only way to know is to buy drapes and see which I like better... Although I think that my tastes are changing yet again...I will spare you the details. :)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Hope hubs is doing well. Call when needed. you know, you could try bordering the sheers with a different color or a pattern fabric, then any white difs would not matter?

• PRO
    Yours by Design
    8 years ago

Theatre room st. louis · More Info
    add pops of silver
    Small Living room gets a stunning make over with a scattered crystal gas firpla · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Old Post

• Elina R
    7 years ago
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering how you've been doing. How's the decorating going? I was looking through your old pics again, and I think you would really help if you replaced the overhead light by the front door (foyer). The nipple ceiling light isn't doing you any favors, lol. Just thought I'd drop you a note to see how the never ending projects are coming along
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County