Software
Houzz Logo Print
hamma_

I swear if I see one more "dinning" room I'll scream!

10 years ago

And no, English is not my first language, and not even the second.


Anyone ever heard of spellcheck?

Comments (348)

  • 10 years ago

    I think I'm getting b1 tchy. Sick of trolls. Just tired, I guess.

  • 10 years ago

    Which brings me to why do people post "advise" that has already been covered on an OP if they haven't taken the time to read the all the comments and have no understanding of what is going on. I'm tired of reading " there are so many comments I just skimmed through." Well, I got news for you, you shouldn't be posting. Go play in another sandbox that doesn't have many comments where your advise actually could help, not after the fact. That's when I want to scream..


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    A lot of dilemmas feel like a......

  • 10 years ago

    Did you look at that pros projects? You are better than that!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    No, I do not look at profiles and projects of Pro's. I am sure they do not look at mine lol.

  • 10 years ago

    Margo, what does the "Aussie queen" mean ;0(?

  • 10 years ago

    Margo, you should look at hers.

  • 10 years ago

    Tw- ? I need a memory jog? Did I call Chook an Aussie queen somewhere?

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, Margo, what does it mean?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Omg....Margo, you aren't kidding about that p***ing contest thing. I think one of my biggest pet peeves (besides the ones I can't post on here, ha ha!) are when certain folks start criticizing the intently helpful advice (or renderings or whatever) given/rendered by other posters on dilemmas. I mean, really!? And it's many times by those who act like they "own" the dilemma! The way I see it, unless they are forking up the cash for the project or paying the OPs mortgage....they own nada!

  • 10 years ago

    I do not know what it really means?? My guess is I called you an Aussie Queen somewhere.

  • 10 years ago

    Tw123456789 I don't give a rolling stuff what Margo calls me. I've known her for years and you can't make trouble between us. We don't need your help with that. So pi$$ off.

  • 10 years ago

    OK guys, just blame Margo...I go now *

  • 10 years ago

    Hmmm....did I just miss something? Or is this a don't ask type of situation?

  • 10 years ago

    Ask away, lollol!

  • 10 years ago
    Wood u people just get along!! :)
  • 10 years ago

    I wood!

  • 10 years ago

    Anyone feel like helping on a kitchen thread? Poster is tmuto - kitchen is cute and she's not getting a lot of feedback..

  • 10 years ago
    Ok. I'm ready to gripe. I'm so tired of "pros" who don't even read the dilemma but say, "maybe a few examples from our portfolio might give you some inspiration." And you look at the photos and they have no bearing on the dilemma at hand. That really bugs me. They seem to cruise the dilemmas and just stick their stuff any place. Knock it off people. If you can't contribute anything, don't waste our time. Also, people who interject an opinion when they haven't read the thread. Embarrassing. Take time to read and understand. Phew. I feel better now.
  • 10 years ago

    Classy- you mean like this.. "art is the first thing you should choose. It is almost always the focal point in a room, and as such, building the room around it is easier than the other way around. Your room has wonderful potential."

    Maybe this will inspire you.

    The Meeting · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the support chook! And yes Avery- I am under professional care. I think maybe more people should be!
  • 10 years ago
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. Good one!
  • 10 years ago

    Okay...for some reason this one really pushes my buttons! When a professional designer says what you are doing... "It's like putting lipstick on a pig". I think that is a term that should be kept at the professional water cooler discussions. Soooo insulting to homeowners. If I hired a designer and they said that, I would immediately move on. I'd rather hear....I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!

  • 10 years ago

    Just stopped by to offer a funny. Did everyone see the op who wanted to know if their piece was Jabobian? tehehe I just love that one, I think i might always say it that way. The did correct it in the thread by the way. Jabobian = lol

  • 10 years ago

    Guess where I am? I'm in Las Vegas attending the International Home Builders Show and the Kitchen and Bath Show. Rubbing elbows with all those "Pros" that want to inspire me-lol. No, I'm not a Pro, at least officially. Just know a few that got me into the show. Haven't discovered anything exciting enough to report yet except I did see a chandelier that may end up in my dining room if that counts as exciting-lol. I saw the houzz booth from afar today, so hopefully I'll hit it tomorrow. Maybe I'll have something exciting to report, like design spell auto-check :).

  • 10 years ago

    I look forward to your report, tedbixby!

  • 10 years ago
    Gosh, I'm jealous Ted! Have a wonderful time!!!
  • 10 years ago

    i have one that is really rankling me, people who do not know the meaning of passive agressive! Especially when they go around calling other people that, when it is exactly how they act! Jabobian, Jabobian, jabobian! My new mantra. lol

  • 10 years ago

    oh and tedb, could you take pics of anything relating to cool new small cooking appliances? thanks and enjoy!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So I stopped by the houzz both today and it was overflowing with "Pro's." An employee of houzz welcomed me into the booth but I felt that once he found out I wasn't a Pro, he wanted to get me on my way! I think houzz was pushing to get Pro's to advertise and in all fairness, this is a show for the Pros and not consumers so I'm not totally surprised.

    Can't say I saw a specific trend going on except for the brushed brass continues. Some so called highlights today...

    Cambria had new "slabs" that have a lot of contrast and movement to them. Still sparkly. Very dramatic.

    Kitchen cabinets. What I saw today (still more to go through). The limited vendors at the show were not showing white cabinets. Probably trying to bring some new ideas to the market? Painted cabinets leaned towards using a combination of a dark and a light of the same color in a kitchen. And it wasn't a case where one color was on the island and the other color around the perimeter. The combinations varied as to how they were used within the kitchen. Loved a dark green with a grey tone to it. Lots of slab cabinet fronts and mixing wood front cabinets and the high gloss cabinets. Woods appeared to have depth to them (glazed?). Didn't see any dark wood being featured but may have overlooked. What did catch my attention was dark cabinets that were either in high gloss or painted.

    Tile appears to be going larger but still saw mosaic size. Did see a grout that had sparkles in it at Daltile. Don't know if this is new or not?

    In place of the metal arc in higher end kitchen faucets, the arc has been replaced with a (for lack of a better term) a rubber hose arc. This probably was the "new trend" that I saw over and over again. I usually like something different but I'm not sure about this new arc. I thought it looked cheap.

    One more day to go.

  • 10 years ago
    Better be careful about saying " Pro" in Vegas Ted! Has a whole different meaning:) the sparkling grout is glass grout; great for decorative tiles ; impervious to staining and mildew.
  • 10 years ago

    Lyn- ha, ha. There are 10 miles of Pros in one spot here!

    I'm going to have to check out that glass grout. It sounds like a winner. Are there multiple manuf. that make it?

  • 10 years ago
    Stick to the grout Ted!;) I can't remember the manufacturer. I know there is a grout with sparkles in it but there is a " glass" grout. Almost used it last year; it's pricey but very nice especially with glass tiles in areas such as showers or back splashes. Let me see what I can dig up for you.
  • 10 years ago

    Tedbixby, I'm not surprised about white kitchens. I think that trend got overblown a bit, so I figured it would begin to soon fade due to its kind of meteoric rise. Also not surprised about brushed brass. I think brass has been trying so hard to come back for a few years but just not really succeeding until the last 6 months or so. Suddenly, it's caught on and in a big way!

  • 10 years ago
    Everything old is new again! Here are just a few Ted. Oh, and a pick of the glitter grout for all to see!
  • 10 years ago

    Ooh lynartist - that's all sparkly and pretty!!

  • 10 years ago
    And we do love our glitter don't we!!! The glass grout is a bit sparkly to but doesn't show up in the pics. Made up of teeny glass beads! Very nice.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks lyn. The grout I saw you really had to look close to see it sparkle but it set off the light glass tiles so pretty.

  • 10 years ago
    That must have been the glass grout Ted. Nice product. Glad your having a good time. Are there lots of beautiful new tiles there?
  • 10 years ago

    Did anyone see the post talking about the "low bearing" wall?

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you Ted.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hamma, there is a book called Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It is a humorous take on punctuation, spelling, and grammar. I think you would enjoy it!

    Hamma thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • 10 years ago
    This thread started out in good fun; poking fun at ourselves as well as others. We have all made grammatical errors for heavens sake! There is no need to descend into name calling and nastiness. If we cannot even laugh at ourselves here, my goodness.....
  • 10 years ago
    So Ted, are you enjoying the show? I wondered if maybe you saw any tile that looked like slate!
  • 10 years ago
    Ted - I would love to hear more Vegas updates, but I think I'm going to leave this thread. I'm going to try to see if I can just go to your page to see your updates.
  • 10 years ago

    I must say I far prefer dinning rooms to vicious comments, especially when they are sprinkled with 'lol', as though there were something witty about them.

    I do cringe at language abuse, and I think the thread has been fun, for the most part. So thanks to all who have made it fun. My own fingers frequently type anything they want to, and I'm guilty of not seeing the errors when I reread. I use the 'edit' button a lot.

  • 10 years ago
    now..tell us more about your finds at the show please Ted. (:
  • 10 years ago

    Hi all, Looks like some lighthearted chatter about grammar mistakes (guilty!) and autocorrect has gotten a bit out of hand. Let's leave the personal attacks out of this. If you see a comment you feel should be reviewed, hit the flag icon in the upper right corner and our team will always take a look.

    For the record, I thought the alphabet contained a letter called "elementopee" for a long time as a kid. People use the wrong words for things until they know the right ones. It's nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. It's part of being a living and learning human being. Houzz is a GREAT place to learn about design terms. Embrace that learning. Let's support each other. Thanks!



    Hamma thanked Emily Hurley
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Back from the show and my mind is needing a rest! Covered the last hall of the convention center yesterday. I did not get to the Surface Hall but more of that in a minute. This was my observation but I'm not a Professional and don't claim any of this as a trend.. And keep in mind, that this was more of a building show so couldn't get a total sense of a trend regarding the "pretty finishes" in a house. I do wish I had something really exciting to report but just didn't come across anything that I thought- now that is really cool..

    Do you want to know about waterproofing or roofs? Guess not, huh?

    Kitchen- Since most of the cabinet manufacturers showing were from over seas, I do not know if this is the trend but the only all white kitchens I saw were the high-gloss contemporary slab style cabinets. Otherwise white wood cabinets were paired with stained wood. Not too much "fussy" seen, more clean lines.

    Marble quartz was still being shown with a few new ones.

    As far as "color" I didn't get the sense that grey was a big wall color. Not saying that it isn't but it just didn't scream out that grey is THE color. In fact, the BM booth had their walls painted Patriot Blue ( a blue leaning towards navy). Overall my impression is that color is "warming" up. Whites were more creamy.

    Booths that were the busiest were the ones that were showing "texture." Flooring and tiles were big in this area.

    Flooring seemed to be a star of the show. Reclaimed or texture looking. Think organic. Also shown was wood flooring which has printed pattern on the wood ( think like wall paper).

    This company has gorgeous laminates especially their abstract laminates ( their web-site doesn't do it justice). They have paintable laminates that are textured.

    http://www.labdesignlaminate.com/index.html

    Textured solid surface- one application this is used for is for shower walls (white only for now) http://www.interlam-design.com/titan-solid-surface.html

    For new builds, lighting rep told me that rather than hard wire under cabinet lighting, to put electrical outlets in the cabinet or under and plug in the lighting. He suggested this as he said lighting is changing so quickly that it gives the option to change out without the expense of having to hire an electrician again.

    Sorry, I'm not a techi so I don't have photos to show you. But I have a designer friend who did make it over to the Surface Hall and she did post some photos on the facebook page for the Builder she works with.

    https://www.facebook.com/HomesbyGaryByker

    After I give my mind a rest and go through my bag of "goodies" I collected, if there is any other thoughts, I'll let you know. Thanks for your interest.

    And to all our good friend houzzers on the East coast, be safe this week-end and stay warm :)

  • 10 years ago

    tedbixby

    I'm still here. I have two very young children who have been taking turns being sick :(

    Hope you had a good time in Las Vegas!