Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_tabor

Sofa layout - sectional vs traditional

10 years ago
Hi!

We have been plugging away at a family room redo and the last piece that we haven't been able to figure out is our sofa! The family room is sunken, so there is a small step which seems to be the Bain of my existence. My husband thinks furniture should be pressed up against it and I feel like doing that shrinks my walking space. Anyway, aside from proper furniture placement with a step, we're trying to figure out if we should do corner sectional or traditional couch and love seat. The one thing I didn't capture in the photos is that there is a door tour back deck immediately on the other side of the Windows. Would love your opinions!

Ps husband is finishing the custom fireplace tonight so disregard the mess. He would not be happy with me if he knew I snuck photos to post on here, but I also know he really wants to buy a sofa tomorrow with all of the good sales going on.

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago
    Your area reminds me of my own. We have a leather sectional and love it! Btw I love your area rug! Where did you get it?!
  • 10 years ago
    I'd also go with a sofa and 2 chairs. I love my sectional, but they require a large space. We went with a traditional sofa in our basement redo because of space limitations.
  • 10 years ago

    What I beautiful room!! I love your fireplace!! You did not ask....but be sure to get lamps so that you can turn off that harsh overhead lighting.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! The hubs will love to hear the fireplace compliment, he worked so hard to design and build it. The rug was actually from Target and it is SO soft. I was worried about being able to vacuum it and dirt and whatnot, but it has held up really well.

    As for the two chairs opposite the sofa, there is a heat vent there in a super inconvenient place and it's hard to tell with the photos here, but the chairs would be significantly closer to the fireplace instead of directly across from the sofa because of the door. I thought it looked strange to have them further down from the sofa but in front of the Windows, and then it also looked strange to have them off centered from the Windows but in line with the sofa. Any suggestions there?
  • 10 years ago
    Looks like it would all benefit by moving closer to the fireplace...leaving more room for the step down and a walkway to the door..
  • 10 years ago
    A small sectional would work here but that may present a new dilemma of side tables...will a coffee table only ...satisfy all your table needs as well as a place to rest your feet?...there may not be room for end tables
  • 10 years ago
    Yes! You are totally right on the coffee table thing. Especially with a baby that poses a new challenge. We ended up moving the sectional to the basement downstairs and played around with the leather sofas from the living room (which is what you saw in the photo). And decided we like the separate sofa love seat thing with a small end table between and I'm thinking nesting tables at the other end which will help with the baby thing, too. He's starting to pull up on stuff so it will be nice to not worry about corners on a table in the middle of the room for now.

    Anyway, we ended up getting these sofas for 60% off and the color and shape will look great (we think). They're getting delivered next Friday! I'll post a photo once they get in. Then, the fun part. Decorating!
  • 10 years ago
    I would do a small l shaped sectional ( not a huge monstrosity one) facing the fireplace and floating it not against any wall. your rug appears to small. Is it a 5x7? You need a 8x10 or 9x 11. I'd also get one upholstered chair to put diagonal kind of from the sofa. Preferably a swivel so you could turn and see the TV if necessary as it would face more towards sectional for conversation. Then some kind of coffee table, family friendly. Maybe a console table behind sectional. Beautiful fireplace and room!