Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianalynnw

36" or 42" Induction Range - do such things exist?

Diana
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My husband is a great cook and has been making do with our ancient 30" electric range, (which is down to 2 working burners and a near useless oven) for years. As part of our new kitchen (part of an overall renovation of our 1930s Craftsman home) I want to get him the "perfect" higher-end Range, (not to exceed around $5 - 6K in total cost.)

I have settled on a Range meeting these criteria:

• 36" or 42" width
  • Induction surface cooking - He's also a scientist and we are both attracted to the energy savings of induction.
  • Double Oven (preferred) with 1 Convection and (if possible) 1 Steam (or if steam isn't possible, 1 large convection space + either a smaller Convection Oven OR a Speed Oven OR a Warming drawer/oven.)
  • And Color! White or Blue or Red or ?? preferred (but will settle on stainless if need be.)

So, now I know what I want but can't seem to find this combination in a single appliance. There are several nice 36" (and larger) Induction Cooktops out there and I've considered going with a cooktop and wall oven(s) but really prefer a built-in Range for our new kitchen.

Can anyone point me in the direction of such a creature??

Many thanks!

Comments (112)

• queeni1951
    7 years ago
    Can a silpat be put between induction cooktop and pot?
  • Chroma Natrix
    7 years ago
    Yes, I am sure you could use silpat but I purchased silicone mats designed to place on "burners" under pots to prevent scratches. I also sometimes place a sheet of parchment over the entire surface when cooking numerous items to keep it clean.
  • Jagruti Pandya
    7 years ago

I am building a new kitchen and planning for a 36" induction range. I was originally planning for wolf gas range 48". Since I saw this induction range, I literally fell in love with and decided to go with this. I saw Bosch and Wolf both with 36" range. Does anybody know which one is a better brand to go with? I mean overall functionality and price too.

• Greg
    7 years ago
    Is the 36" Bosch a range or just the stovetop? If it's a range, can you post a link or model number? I haven't seen any 36" electric range from anyone but wolf.
  • Jagruti Pandya
    7 years ago
    You are right.. I verified and Bosch has 30" and wolf has 36" range.
  • jopnoe
    7 years ago

After several months of research I'm very happy with our decision to install a 36" GE induction cooktop and a compatible 30" GE oven below the cooktop. Cleanup is so easy and I love the large surface.

• Lisa Solt
    7 years ago
    Aga is coming out with (or perhaps already has) a 48" induction range. Beautiful looking. That and the Wolf are the only induction ranges wider than 30" that I could find. Both are too expensive for me.
  • lbobolts
    6 years ago

Do you know when exactly?

• User
    6 years ago

And it will be severely underpowered. Because the electrical supplies in a home are not going to change.

• Stephen Barnes
    6 years ago

Fisher Paykel has one that will be out very soon, and won’t need two separate circuits like the Wolf one does. I agree about the Bertazonni being underpowered. They seem to be more about style than quality

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Right. A 50 amp circuit that runs a single cooktop is now going to run a cooktop and oven in one and be more powerful? Math doesn’t lie. Marketing shills frequently do. And they use too many exclamation points!!!!!

Just like the gas version, it will be completely underwhelming where it counts. It probably will be pretty. But this forum isn’t about Barbie play ranges.

• nsc6
    6 years ago

The kitchen aid induction slide in range with a larger oven plus a smaller oven at bottom? Steam cleans.

• Stephen Barnes
    6 years ago

Steam clean really dosnt work. The idea is that you put a bit of water in the bottom of the oven and the heat lossens things up, then you finish cleaning it. It reminds me of the old continuous clean ( aka continuous dirty ) ovens from the 70s. It really dosnt do much and you’d be better off with some easy off and an sos pad. Self cleaning works, but the extra heat is hard on the electronics.

• nsc6
    6 years ago

Works for me but then I do not let the stuff accumulate, I wipe it off first then steam clean.....good as new! Well, I only had the oven for a few months but so far looks still brand new. The lower oven does low profile food very well! If there is ever a stubborn spot cow soda would do the job.

• Stephen Barnes
    6 years ago

I think most people must not keep up with it after each time they cook. For sure that makes it much easier to deal with. I’m guilty of not keeping up myself, lol

• nsc6
    6 years ago

Well this is the new converted me, bc the stove is so expensive and so beautiful. I was lazy about my GE SS double wall oven which was from 1962 and so I learned my lesson well. Hahahah.

• joymcdonald
    6 years ago

Glad I found this post! I am currently dealing with an error in judgement when ordering my cabinets. I have a space between my cabinets for the range - 36". We don't have gas in our building - so are the 36" Verona electric range and 36" Wolf indication range my only options? The Verona is around $3000 and Wolf over $9000. I have never heard of Verona and scared to go with an unknown brand. Does the Wolf need two circuits? I know nothing about any of this - please advise. thanks!

• bpvarian
    6 years ago

I do not believe that Verona makes an *induction* 36" range. Every Verona I have searched, in 36" range, has been Electric (far different from induction).

• Lisa R
    5 years ago

Does anyone know when the Fisher Paykel 36 inch induction range will be release?

Here is a link to it

• nsc6
    5 years ago

Update on the Kitchen Aid induction. Works great. Lower small oven needs to be put 25degrees higher than usual to work well. Once you cook with induction you will not want the electric. Gas was good but the clean up is awful....lifting off the grills etc.etc. a 36“ would be nice bc the 30” do not accommodate two medium pots back to back. So if I were to do this over again I would get a 36”

• sarafinadh
    4 years ago

Whelp. I am back on gas for a while because: Reasons. If I ever wondered about which I want this answers that question. GIVE ME BACK my induction! Damn I miss it!!

• Chroma Natrix
    4 years ago

Definitely will never go back to gas or regular electric!

• carolbar4
    3 years ago

2020....any new 36 inch induction ranges available anyone knows about?

• Design Girl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Wolf, Fisher and Paykel, Bertazzoni, Miele, Aga, Verona, Fulgar Milano, Dacor.

• Russell Scoles
    3 years ago

Hoping to revive this thread a bit...anyone with any recent experience in 2019 or 2020 with induction cooktops or induction ranges that they've been happy with? I'm attempting to steer my fiance in the direction of induction rather than gas, and am slowly gaining ground. We really like the Fisher and Paykel 36" range, but we're entirely open to just about any brand and/or range vs. cooktop/separate oven(s) combo. Thanks everyone, great thread!

• charpell
    3 years ago

I switched to induction about 2.5 years ago (Miele 36"). Previous to that I used gas for 10+ years (which I liked), and ceran top electric for about 5+ years (terrible!). I will never go back to gas. Absolutely love the induction. I love the way it cooks, and I love how easy it is to clean. Love everything about it. I use a Staubb cast iron wok when stir frying. It's not going to stir fry the same as a super powered gas with a carbon steel wok. It's the only trade off I feel like anybody might have to make, but how many people are wok cooking at home with an industrial powered gas flame? Very very few, I suspect.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Wolf has a 36 inch induction range. It's actually just their cooktop and range combined.

• Greg
    3 years ago

Yeah, I completely agree: induction is great! we've had the 36" wolf induction range for about 3 years and love it. When shopping for the range, we were about to buy gas and loved what we saw on the showroom floor but we had a chance to see the range in the little test kitchen that they actually use at the wolf showroom and it looked pretty rough after heavy use, after being professionally cleaned. We are a family that cooks most nights of the week and deep cleaning a gas range every night was not something that we were up for. A 10s scrub with soap and water has kept ours looking brand new. its durable too, we have dropped a salt shaker from overhead cabinet height and not even a scratch. The top isn't "glass", its incredibly hard and tough. Someone asked about putting a silpat between the pot and the top, the short answer is that you do not need to. 'Hardness' means will A scratch B, and the top is very hard. Stainless steel and iron, while heavy and blunt force could theoretically crack it, are not hard and will not scratch the top.

Looks like there are a few more on the market now but it looks like Wolf, Ilve (i l v e), and Bertazzoni are the leaders. Ilve is pretty new. Watch out for European brands like Bertazzoni having surprisingly small ovens, given the outer size.

• JJ Mekai
    3 years ago

Really liking the newer Fisher & Paykel 36" induction range features and price compared to Wolf and will likely use it in our new build next year. Large oven with warming drawer underneath is standard. And, liking the knobs and have heard there is an easy to see display on the cooktop when the cooktop knobs are used. Would love to see a hand on review before purchasing though. If anyone has the new 36" Fisher & Paykel induction range, I would so appreciate a performance review.

• Joanne Montgomery
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I purchased a 2020 GE profile induction 30" slide in range. HIgh marks on design. Induction top is awesome; however, a little disappointed in the oven. takes a long time to come to temperature and I am not certain it maintains it. I always heard go GE for "heat". Also, I think after a year of use, not all the burners are created equal. At first all burners heated up in the same fashion. In general, I still love it, give it high marks. Having had a gas range/gas oven (LG), a GE profile gas range/electric oven; and a GE cafe electric range/electric oven (all ovens have been convection), the induction cooktop by GE is my very favourite. The simmer capability is so awesome, and its rapid heat is just as nice. Easy to clean. One note, there is a silicon piece that runs along the cooktop, gunk gets in there, not sure why they did that. Also, people, I had a terrible experience with the LG range. I could not get it serviced, no repair people is a city of 1 million, very bad! Burners, way under powered. Just my experience with LG.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Anyone know of a 36 inch induction RANGETOP? The only one I can find is Fulgor Milano, and I'm not going to roll the dice on a relatively unknown brand. Would love the range top instead of a cooktop to avoid a seam in my stone.

• wondering2020
    3 years ago

@Design Girl... also looking for one except Fulgar Milano. What if it breaks then they're will be no other company to replace it with.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@wondering2020 - I haven't found one. I'm going to have to go with an induction cooktop. If one becomes available in a few years or so I figure I can retrofit it in. I know it would mean recutting my stone, but I think it can be done.

• nsc6
    3 years ago

Nothing wrong with Fulgor Milano. Well known Italian and good quality. Just do not go with Kitchen Aid.

• Heather F.
    2 years ago

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a 36 or 40 inch induction range with convection and conventional oven???

• Lana MacNichol
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried the ILVE 40" induction range? Or ILVE in general? Specifically, I am wondering if the larger of the two ovens would be too small for larger items (i.e. turkeys)? Or the 36" Fisher Paykel? I am also looking for a reasonably priced 36" (could be larger but doesn't need to be) induction range and find it interesting that during the life of this thread, it doesn't seem like much has come on to the market in this realm. I would be interested in any suggestions or advice.

• HU-832889051
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We just purchased and installed a Bertazzoni 36” induction range. Looks beautiful, but we are having problems getting the induction elements to provide uniform heat to our pans. Despite the outline on the glass, the element is apparently smaller in size and heat is only conveyed to a circle, about 5“ diameter, in the center of the pan. This means food in the middle of the pan gets heated much more quickly. I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this with induction cooking or if it’s just the Bertazzoni. (We have found this to be true with our cast iron pans, as well as our Le Creuset.)

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@HU-832889051, this is good to know. Thank you!

• Chroma Natrix
    2 years ago

I have a Wolf 36" induction cooktop with four medium and one large element. I will never cook on anything else but induction!!!! My electromagnetic elements seem to be the same size as the outlines. Since the elements under the glass don't heat, but actually just electromagnetically charge the pan with energy that makes the iron/steel hot, it requires that the pan be in proximity to the coils. Because of this interaction, ideally the bottom of the pan should match the size of the coils. However, especially on my Le Creuset, even if a pan is slightly larger than the element, once the center of pan heats up, it seems to distribute the heat across the bottom due to the thickness and mass of the cast iron, especially if I allow time for this to happen on low or med. This amazing magnetic concept means you can actually put a cloth, newspaper, or a silicone mat under your pans to protect the glass, and it will still transfer energy and heat the pan. Good luck!

• HU-832889051
    2 years ago

Thank you, Chroma. So heat is even across the pan?

• Lana MacNichol
    2 years ago

Really interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just wish they were some more options on the market. I keep going back to the 40" ILVE but I am worried that two oven configuration might not be that practical.

• annbecchina
    2 years ago

We are ordering the AGA Pro 36” induction range. I wish there was a double oven induction range option in this size. the small upper oven for broiling and toasting would come in handy. But you can’t have everything.

• Sarah
    2 years ago

Let us know how you like it annbecchina! I was planning on that one for my reno but can’t find any reviews.

• vicbayside
    2 years ago

@annbecchina did you get your AGA induction range? Thanks

• Dano Marco
    last year

@annbecchina would love to hear about your AGA induction range....let us know! Thanks.

• HU-832889051
    last year

In our search for a 36" induction range, we found very few. We had a bad experience with a Bertazzoni and were able to finally return it after kicking and screaming for months. We are now cashing in our 401Ks to buy a Wolf. Very expensive, but apparently stands out from the rest. Latest is, we'll see it in November. (Writing this in July. We ordered in April.) BTW, it has been difficult, if not impossible, to find decent reviews and performance specifications for all these induction products.

• Lana MacNichol
    last year

That Wolf range is pricey but it is also looks gorgeous and they have a terrific reputation. Will look forward to hearing about when you finally receive it in November. I have read several similar stories about Bertazonni. It's too bad - great style but not so great performance?

• Chroma Natrix
    last year

I hope it comes soon! I was very happy with my Wolf induction cooktop. What I love about having the cooktop separate from the oven is that if something happens with one, it isn't the huge expense of dollars and time of both being unuseable while one is being repaired. I also love the idea of having cookwear stored directly under the cooktop, enabling two people to work the kitchen without disturbing the other. That said, I did have the 36" oven installed below the 36" cooktop in my previous home. I didn't love that, so along with the lack of availability of 36" oven in all designs convinced me not to do it that way again. In my case, I had the 36" oven below the cooktop and a stack of a steam oven, and a 30" oven along a different wall (loved that arrangement.).

• jon liebers
    9 months ago

thermadore has a 36 inch range with pot detect. Thermador makes about the best induction out there for homes. We just installed the 36 inch freedom cooktop and its incredible , so many features no one else has. Does anyone know why no one makes a larger cooktop ? i found a couple in the 42 inch area but they are not really larger and only have 5 zones where the Freedom has upto six and no fixed burner elements at all. thanks

• HU-832889051
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Finally received our 36" Wolf induction range in July. Actually, it came in May, but was damaged and had to be replaced. So it's been over a year. We are very happy with it, heating is even across the heating surfaces (that was the main complaint with the Bertazzoni). It's been long enough that we have mostly forgotten the high price point. The Wolf is an impressive piece of machinery, very solid and the oven interior is gorgeous.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County