Software
Houzz Logo Print
kavanaghs

Misaligned Dormers

10 years ago
We're buying a home which had some well-intentioned but poorly executed additions from the previous owner, including 4 dormers on what was previously a large brick ranch. 3 of the dormers over the main house do look great from the side of the house (where you pull in and walk up to the front door) but if you look at the house from the front, none of the dormers line up with the windows below, and couldn't possibly because the front door is offset and either side is not symmetrical. The dormers are properly centered on the roof instead. The 4th former on the FROG is being removed for sure.

We have to replace the roof, and I am wondering if now is the time to just get rid of these dormers all together and go back to my simple 90s ranch style house or if they really bring something to the home as so many people have told me.

I have limited photos as the house is far away from where I live now. Would love some help!

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    Do the Dormers have a function (i.e. Illuminating an attic space or bedroom)?

  • 10 years ago
    They light up the unfinished attic, but they don't do anything for the living space other than leak haha.
  • 10 years ago
    If the roofer is confident he can flash them properly to stop them from leaking, are they worth saving? He feels they are and I liked them until I noticed they didn't really line up well.
  • 10 years ago

    It's a personal decision really. For me, if they didn't have a purpose and weren't stellar in their design AND execution (and it sounds like they aren't) I would seriously consider their removal. I would rather elevate key areas of the ceiling (like LR or kitchen) into the attic space and install skylights but that's a massive undertaking. Are you happy with the interior overall?

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, it would look great with more light but it's over 4000 sqft on one level and it's a LOT of roof, so my funds are limited really.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    But I mentioned a "key area"...not the while ceiling. I'll see if I can find an example. Consider talking to you roofer about it and ask if he knows of a good reputable builder who could talk to you about options and price. Something to consider down the road if you are looking to add value or bring more light in. The posted pics are more contemporary interpretations but could be done in any manner to suit your space with exposed trusses or similar.

    Magnolia · More Info


    A House for Hermes · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Unfortunately, the dormers are over my laundry/utility room, one side of my dining room (partway into my entry which is divided by a wall) and my kids' closet, so they are not optimally placed.

    I will say that most of the other homes in the neighborhood are more traditional southern two-stories with dormers. My house is actually one of the neighborhood originals, so it's not like the other homes are older and grander, just different styles in the neighborhood make me worry about affecting my resale for a misalignment most people don't notice.
  • 10 years ago
    will removing them add other problems like matching roof shingles?
    Fix leaks for sure. Would finishing out attic be an option later? You might keep them if so.
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, it is the time for removal. Good luck & that is a huge house. Give us photos of the inside after moving in, please.

  • 10 years ago
    Get rid of the white paint! Re-face them in wood or cedar shake and darken the color on the dormers and the gable to the left of them. If you have the budget to do it, mortar wash the red brick with a softened white, cedar-shake the dormers and gable, stain them a warm brown or brown-gray and you'll never notice the off-symmetry.
  • 10 years ago
    If I had the money, roydollar, I would do just that. I have been talking about whitewashing the brick or potentially just painting the garage white and putting different colored shutters/trim paint on that part of the house as if it's a different space, like an attached carriage house. It contains the mudroom, garage, and an apartment and doesn't follow the same lines as the rest of the house.
0