Software
Houzz Logo Print
michblue

Deciding between purple area rug or grey....caught between wanting a splash of colour and elegant grey. Pleas

13 years ago
What would you do?

Comments (35)

  • 13 years ago
    I would do the gray rug as it will be more in style for a longer period of time.
  • 13 years ago
    I think a grey purple would be a great combo. Almost steal like with a hint of purple
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A rug with grey background and pastel design. You can bring in splashes of colors with bright pillows, artwork. Also the mirror above the cabinet /buffet looks smaller in proportion .
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Always go for neutral on big ticket items. Add color with accessory's and paint.
  • 13 years ago
    Although I love Darzy's rugs, I think artistico is right. When you decide you don't want purple anymore a grey rug will go with most ant color. Purple pillows are easier to toss than a rug. By the way, love your choices so far
  • 13 years ago
    I agree big ticket items should be neutral. I do love a statement rug when everything else is soooo neutral. Here is a beauty 5'8' rug for only $279!
    Martha Stewart Living Fretwork Area Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Feizy has a new collection that would look great in your space.
  • 13 years ago
    We got this perfect rug that is real light grays with a little lavender in it from Home decorators, http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Addison_Area_Rug/300/. WE Love it. I love the Ecconox Oberon a lot too.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This style was very much in trend in the UK last year - old rose, faded lilac with cream, silver and grey. It went beautifully. If you have a great colour combination that works, it can remain so after the trend has come and gone. There are others trends that should go of course!! But this is a calm, serene, elegant look that gives light and breaks the mould from the more conventional colour schemes.
    I should add that purples/lilacs tend to become warm browns at night depending on your lighting. So whatever you do, make sure you see your carpet at night and in the daytime to see how it changes.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would like to see combination of yellow and red on the wall. I have used it many places. It shows some elegant look.
  • 13 years ago
    either will work and if the color and pattern are soft they'll be easier to live with longer. the feizy line as schlosser suggested, has several good choices online : escalante , vivendi , amalfi and ouray
    home decorators has a lilac : tilli

    the dresser scarf needs to go and the 2 mirrors are too small.the mirrored dresser is very attractive. black and white photography would look great above it
    change the flowers to something long,low. a simple tree branch would be a nice free form organic touch.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and candid comments. Here are 2 different angles of the room with a view of the other furniture. Would this change your thoughts on purple vs grey or patterned vs solid? Thanks!!!!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    ....I am not so worried about the lasting power of the colour....I don't mind changing it out in 5 yrs if I get bored.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I am definitely for the purple. It will add contrast to your floors ....(and a nice contrast I might add!)
  • 13 years ago
    Here are three that I like from homedecorators.com. Found them under Purple Rugs as I was shopping by color.
  • 13 years ago
    If you're not worried about switching it up in a few years Definitely purple. Loved Darzy's rugs.
  • 13 years ago
    Also decoenthusiaste rugs would add subtle color.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    purple / lilac patterned rug and introduce sofa pillows the same color. For added warmth I would paint the wall the "rug color" and paint the mirror frame 2 shades darker (than the wall).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Purple/Lilac! Keep the room the same.
  • 13 years ago
    Where did you get the chairs, please?
  • 13 years ago
    i like the yellow/green color in the pattern in your chairs and the pillow on your sofa. consider using this color in your accessories and rug
  • 13 years ago
    And I think Gray, and add some more pops of purple with accessories!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm glad purple/lilac is getting some votes! It will be beautiful and "unexpected". I really like Deco's rug suggestions!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. Lots of great ideas. The chairs and fabric are from Fairfield.
  • 13 years ago
    ...hopefully I can find a site like homedecorators.com that ships in/to Canada!
  • 13 years ago
    They don't? I also loved and considered the above lavender rugs but hubby vetoed them as froo froo, Martha Sterwart rugs. UHG! So oddly he loves the Addison one, that lavender accent was a huge confession for the man who wanted a manly cabin.
  • 13 years ago
    Very pretty room. I say add the purple. You need some color and those purple rugs are stunning. Your room will be so elegant with the purple, something different.
  • 13 years ago
    michblue, do you have other things in your house with lime green, yellow/green to try in the room? Here's a rug I think would go well with your chairs.
    http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Argonne_Rug/630/
  • 13 years ago
    I like the prices at HD, I like the rug but I am not feeling the green direction so much. I think it would be a good accent color for sure though. The space is so nice, how can you go wrong?
  • 13 years ago
    Hello! I just wanted to show you all the finished product following he question I posted to you all about the rug. I went in an opposite direction and chose a black and white rug. While I may still consider grey or purple in the future, I like the graphic punch of the black and white. Thanks for all of your suggestions and feedback!
  • 13 years ago
    Here is the artwork I chose by a very talented Canadian artist, John MacLeod.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great!
  • 13 years ago
    beautiful. love the painting.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, if anyone is interested in more info about the artist, feel free to message me.