Software
Houzz Logo Print
skagitnana

Where do you store your emergency food supply?

10 years ago
You may have anything from an extra can of beans to a year's supply of freeze dried goodies, but where do you put it? Mine has filled half the linen closet and threatens to invade the laundry room!
Other- comment please!
It all fits in my pantry
Under the bed, of course
Easy to store an extra bottle of wine

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    Hubby stocks a full pantry and emergency water/supplies in our storage shed.

  • 10 years ago

    We have emergency go bags we put cans in there. We also use the cabinets

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If it is overflowing maybe you need to figure how much you need.

  • 10 years ago
    Haha Marie^^
    We have metal racks in the unfinished section of the basement where extras are stored. Along with a fridge/freezer down there as well.
  • 10 years ago

    things expire, and freezing and thawing doesnt improve them any. buy things you'd eat anyway, and eat them. stock to the back, eat from the front.

    for water i have 5 jugs lined up, i use them for ironing. empty one, buy another.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have mainly a big suitcase of dried goods and essentials but food management in stores where I live is really not that good at all and some goods are put late on shelves leaving them close to expiry dates. So, it really is a problem having to update each time, I usually stock stuff like powdered milk, lentils, dried beans, salt and the like.

  • 8 years ago

    In my storage shed. When I run out in the pantry I go to my storage shed and pull the oldest (cycling the due dates) and restock. Have enough food for 3-4 weeks. Most is dry or canned. Here in Seattle area they are saying stock enough food for 3 weeks in case of an emergency (read earthquake). Don't store in house in case house is destroyed.

  • 8 years ago

    well, I really am not into it, but I have one that beat yours! when i had my 1894 home, the man before had y2k concerns, so he hid it all beneath the house. we had like 30 bottles of water, cans of food, including about 30 cans of cat food- odd we never saw a cat. we got most out, but those big jugs of water in a 2.5 ft crawl space was just too much.

  • 8 years ago

    I do nothing, but realistically, we have enough rice, flour, sugar, salt, cornmeal, beans, lentils, dried peas, oatmeal, etc, for a couple of weeks.

    We would end up eating a LOT of dried peppers as the pantry got low......

  • 8 years ago

    We don't keep any,

  • 8 years ago
    Our guest room has a huge walk in closet. My husband’s super power is organizing, and he has to emergency kits, one stay, one go, both set up with appropriate food. Every 6 months we "shop" the kits, eat the food, and replenish.