Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Anyone have their 2016 grow lists done?

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm trying to cut down on the number of varieties I'll be growing this year, definitely want to grow more to eat rather than just for seed like I've been doing the last few years. Now that I have a freezer to keep my stash in I can relax and leave them for a few years before I have to grow them out again. I'm getting up there in years so I'll soon be looking for someone 'locally' who will take my collection when the time comes:(.

So far my on my tentative list... most will be started in the greenhouse in April if not before, depends on what kind of spring we get, last year I could have started them in March.

Aeron Purple Star (runner)

Aunt Mary's Meat (pole)

Barksdale (pole)

Barry Island (pole)

Bird Egg #3 (pole)

Black seeded Yard Long (pole) Haven't been successful so far, one more trying warmer location.

Cherokee Trail of Tears, black seeded or white seeded (pole)

Emilia's Italian (pole)

Irish Conners (pole)

Lazy Wife (pole)

Mennonite Purple Stripe (pole)

Sicitlian Black Swamp (pole)

Steeves' Caseknife (pole)

Witsa (pole)

Maybe a couple more, heck who am I kidding I know there will be more.

Annette

Comments (19)

• cowabunga1
    8 years ago

Sounds like a good list! Are any of these new for you this year? I haven't grown any of those except lazy wife and cherokee trail of tears and I've tried a yard long bean but never was able to get the vine to grow past 2 feet (North Idaho climate). I am growing my old stand-by Rattlesnake but still shopping for ideas.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cowabunga, although I've had the seed for awhile this will be the first year growing 'Mennonite Purple Stripe' and' Steeves' Caseknife', I've given most of my seed away so have to renew my little stash. 'Lazy Wife' is the original sold by Burpee, grew it for the first time last year for seed so plan to eat a few this year

'Aunt Mary's Meat', 'Sicitlian Black Swamp' and 'Witsa' I'm growing for the first time, the rest I've grown before 'Emilia's Italian' I've been growing off and on since 1965 (local Italian heirloom) 'CTof T' for over 30 years. All the others have been grown off and on for the last few years. 'Barry Island' an heirloom from Wales I grew for seed last year so this year we get to eat a few :). Oh I forgot I'm also growing a few 'Candy' bush beans.

Annette

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

I'm not sure I'm qualified to post because my list is pretty boring compared to most on this forum. Here is what I'm growing this year.

Provider (bush)

Contender (bush)

Jade (bush)

Maxibel (bush)

Rattlesnake (Pole from 2 year old saved seed)

I haven't decided yet if I will grow any out for seed or not this year.

• shuffles_gw
    8 years ago

This year I am shooting for at least half shelly beans.

Derby

French Horticultural

Mayocoba (from WalMart)

Rattlesnake

Algarve

Dade

Violet Pod Stringless

Another purple that I need to get the name of. I think it is Louisiana something.

Tennessee Cut Short

Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short

Garafal Oro

Speckled Cranberry

Goose

Birds Egg #3

I had planned on Jimenez, but it turns out I don't have any seed.

Garafal Oro is such a good looking bean, I plan to try it as a shelly bean.

Half of these varieties I planted yesterday in four inch pots. I am looking to plant the rest this weekend. I sure hope we don't have a late freeze like we had last year on February 20. Who knows with El Nino? We have already had much more rain than usual.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    8 years ago

"Garafal Oro is such a good looking bean, I plan to try it as a shelly bean."

You might be disappointed. The snaps are truly delicious, but the shellies - while attractive - were much tougher than most shellies I tried, and did not really soften, even with prolonged cooking. But who knows, you might have better luck, no harm in trying.

I'm really glad to see Bird Egg #3 appearing on these lists, it is good to know that it will be preserved in many hands.

My own grow list is still a work in progress, which will not firm up until I go through the 2016 SSE Yearbook (which should arrive any day now). For the most part, aside from a couple of new trials, I will be replenishing most of the beans that I last grew in 2009, and the peas & soybeans which were flooded out last year.

• shuffles_gw
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tip zeedman. Garafal Oro has not been very productive for me as a snap bean. I guess I will cut the planting of that one in half and plant another greasy cut short that I have never tried before. I should probably also give Lazy Wife full bean another try.

• calamondindave
    8 years ago

Great list. I'm growing mostly bush varieties in containers this year. My list includes these:

Masai

Calima

Roma II

Provider

Blue Lake Bush

Dragon Tounge

Little Marvel

Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Pea

Butterbean Edemame

Tom Thumb (growing indoors now, almost flowering...)

-----

maybe...

Top Crop

Contender

8 years ago

"Thanks for the tip zeedman. Garafal Oro has not been very productive for me as a snap bean."

Shuffles, have you tried Remy's Bosnian Pole? It is another Romano-type, but has shorter pods than Garafal Oro. The flavor is similar, and it is highly productive. When grown for dry seed, the yield per plant was one of the best I've had.

• drloyd
    8 years ago

Here is a partial list:

Aunt Jean’s Consider a July trellis for late use. Best
    earliest and late bean.

Big White Greasy

Bingo

Borlotto Solista

Brita’s

Cherokee

Clay Bank Fall for early use.

Early Brown Harvest full trellis.

Fat Man

Frank Barnett Cutshort

Granny

Lone White Seed Greasy

Monachine

Monte Cristo X 2, one a bit later.

New Hampshire

North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort

Pete Ingram Fall

Snowball Greasy for very late use.

Tennessee Cutshort

Tobacco Worm

Valley Bean

• shuffles_gw
    8 years ago

zeedman, I might try Remy's Bosnian Pole next year. It is too late for this year. I am going to plant almost all the rest of my varieties this weekend.

• hemnancy
    8 years ago

I had a very successful bean season last year and am growing a lot of the same beans-

Anellino Giallo- yellow shrimp bean, tender to full bean

Jembo Polish

Super Marconi

North Carolina speckled long greasy cutshort

Tennessee cutshort

Grandma Roberts Purple Pole

Zelma Zesta

Angel Fall Bean

New-

Royalty Purple Pod bush

Golden Wax bush

Dragon Tongue

Ojo de Cabra

Turkey Craw Snap Pole

Mayflower

Kentucky Wonder

---------------

Runner- Insuk's Wang Kong, Pole Star

---------------------

Peas- Sprint, Sugar Snap, Cascadia, Snow pea

Broad Windsor Fava Bean

• Wild Haired Mavens
    8 years ago

Dwarf runner beans picker wick

Violet Trionolio

rattlesnake

borlotto bush

dragons tongue

Garden of eden

mix of pole and bush I got in a trade

white half runner bean

Fava aqua dulce

Christmas

Original Author
    8 years ago

I knew I couldn't keep it down to my above list, I've added 'Blue Shackamaxon', I only have a sample of this, they don't seem to be readily available so if they germinate I'll plant those. Also added 'Tanya's Pink Pod', 'Red Eye Fall mutation'? and one for Bluejay 77. I have a few 'Bridgewater' pole beans coming from the UK but don't know if I'll get them in time to plant this year. The last package I received from the UK took over 2 months to get here :(.

Anybody else have their lists firmed up, our soil temp has been up over 60º for over a week now so it's time to get planting.

Annette

• cziga
    8 years ago

I envy you and your ability to plant now Annette! We are getting a couple nice days of weather, but nowhere near reliable enough to even begin digging the ground yet! I'm sure it will dip back down again before we see the last of this winter. But it is the time of year when you start itching to get outside.

My grow list for beans is probably fairy tame, by this forum's standards, as well! I'm still learning a lot about heirloom beans. And I have limited space.

So far for this summer:

Bosnian Pole Bean (with a huge, hearty thank you Annette!) - main crop, shelly bean

Northeaster - main crop, snap bean

Good Mother Stallard - main crop, dry bean

Aunt Jeans - dry bean, new this year as a tester

Piros Fehrer - bush bean, shelly ... (instead of Giant Red Tarka)

I am still looking for Bridgewater beans, and hopefully the Giant Red Tarka beans to grow this summer, and substitute for one of the above varieties. I thought I might be able to trade for some, but it fell through ... still looking though!

If I have more space (I doubt it), I will also be trying Hidasta Shield Figure as another tester for a dry bean. I've never grown it before but traded for a few seeds.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Cziga, the Bridgewater bean seed arrived from the UK yesterday, as I said I didn't get many but I could let you have 8 if you want to grow them this year, otherwise I could let you have more in the fall, that is if I can find the space to put up another pole. This seems to be another bean that is hard to find.

This is the information I have on them, "Very vigorous growth with lots of foliage, support well. Extremely prolific. Eat small fresh, then shelled, then dry (Sounds like a good all rounder). Large purple pods and mottled purple seed. A mighty meal. Apparently they used to be sold at Bridgewater market in the middle of the last century and are remembered as the best beans ever".

Not the best photo, but it gives you an idea what they look like.

Annette

• cziga
    8 years ago

I grew them once, several years ago ... pretty sure I had saved seed but can't find any ... it was the first year that I grew beans and didn't know too much about what I was doing, but my notes from that summer say that they were very prolific and large plants, and I grew and used them as a shelly bean. Apparently, I liked them because the pods turn a mottled purple when they are ready to shell, which makes it easy to identify lol. Long pods with quite a few beans per pod, and large beans as well. Also, the taste was good enough that I earmarked them to grow again.

I am fairly sure I bought the seeds locally at that time though. Once the nurseries start ramping up for Spring/Summer business, I am going to take a look through and hopefully find them here. If not, I may send you an email in the fall to see if we can work out a trade for next year!!

Good luck with them this summer, I imagine you will have better notes than I did at the end of the summer :)

7 years ago

All the swaps & orders are done, so this is my tentative legume list for 2016:

Beans

• B.B. Wax (wax)(new trial)

• Bosnian Pole (snap)

• Brita's Foot Long (shelly/dry)

• Cascade Giant (snap)(new trial)

• Chester (a.k.a. Flagg) (shelly)

• Emerite (main snap)

• KY Wonder White #191 (snap)

• Ma Williams (shelly)

• Porcelain (a.k.a. Snowcap) (dry)

• Striped Cornfield (snap/shelly)

• Tetovac (shelly/dry)

• Toby Poe's Purple (purple snap)(new trial)

• Zlatak (wax/shelly)

• Backups: Woods Mountain Crazy Bean, Poletschka

Limas

• Madagascar

• Violet's Multi-colored (new trial)

• Backup: Sieva

Runner Beans

• Aeron Purple Star (new trial)

• Bianco de Spagna (3rd attempt, hopefully the curse has lifted ;-)

• Backup: Sunset

Peas

• Mesa (shelling)

• Nadja (soup)

• Prebohaty (soup)

• Purple Pod Parsley (shelling)

• Rimpaus Green Victoria (soup)

• Sandy (snow)

• Sugar Lace II (snap)

Cowpeas & Yardlongs

• Adzuki, Grey Seeded (actually a cowpea)(seed increase & trial)

• Kirby's Whippoorwill

• Zipper Cream (new trial)

• Yardlong, Galante

• Yardlong, Sierra Madre

• Yardlong, Yancheng Bush

• backup: Creel Crowder

Misc. legumes

• Adzuki, Murasaki
    • Chickpea, Brown Popping
    • Garbanzo, PI 359341

Soybeans (E) = edamame

Bei 77-6177, Bei Liang 11, Blackeye, GL 2216/84 (E), Grignon 18, Hatsutaka (E), Karikachi 3 (E), Kharkovskaya Zernokormovaya, Manitoba Brown, Oosodefuri (E), PI 194626, PI 437524, PI 522192A, Sac, Selection No. 505, Sioux, Soja Brun Hatif U486, Tai Xing Hei Dou, Zelena Echo 3, Zolta z Zolna

The backups are in case of germination failures, or will be grown by collaborators. Only a few new trials this year, I had too much old seed in need of renewal... but a good year for shellies. For a change, sacrilege though it may be, what I'm most looking forward to this year is something other than beans... new pepper trials (including a breeding project I'm pretty excited about) and what looks to be a really good garlic crop. ;-)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice list Zeedman, mine hasn't changed much :) maybe one or two additions and one missing in action, the Blk. Seeded Yardlong I've misplaced my seed but I'm sure it will turn up, I'll put it on the list for next year. Looking through your list I see 'Snowcap' it reminded me that's another I've not grown yet, it's buried somewhere in the fridge stash . Note to self, put it on next year's grow list.

The last few years my garlic has been the pits so I'm not growing it anymore, space is at a premium around here and I would rather grow something that does well. Haven't grown them in years but I started some Kelsae onions Christmas day, they were planted out a couple of weeks ago, so far they're looking good. I don't grow peppers as a rule but have a couple of Piri Piri's started, these I'll grow in pots so I can move them into the greenhouse if our summer isn't warm enough.

Last but not least I have a couple more varieties of Yacon to try, the ones I planted last year grew well, had lots of tubers to eat and lots to share with friends:). No problem growing Oca either but I'm not sure I like the flavor, will grow it one more time before I make up my mind on that one. The Crosne turned out well, I used those in salads and on a veggie platter with dip, but they do look like something you'd want to put the heel of your boot to LOL.

Annette

• cziga
    7 years ago

Actually, I took my first look out in the yard for this Spring just to see what's out there after the crazy winter we had ... and I'm pretty sure I lost a lot of plants, but my garlic looks REALLY GOOD as well ... funny how that works. Last year I only got really small garlic heads/bulbs, but this year they are already taking off strongly. I'm excited for that :) Should be able to get outside in a week or two to begin prepping the garden soil and doing some cleanup, and then planting at the end of the month. My rabbit fence is going up in a week or two as well, I've decided how I want to build it lol. One of the biggest reasons I haven't been able to save bean seeds for the past couple years and I'm running out is because the rabbits eat literally EACH plant down to the ground ... bush beans are stripped and pole beans are gnawed off several inches above the soil line. The rabbit population here is out of control and they decimate my garden but the beans suffer more than most vegetables. I will willing to "share" but now they just eat them all, so a fence it is. This year I ought to be able to save seeds ... my grow list is the same as above but I've added Giant Red Tarka (thank you so much Darrel!) and I will also be trying Green Arrow shelling peas :)

Sponsored