Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kangadr

Nailed it down...your pick?

Kanga
8 years ago

Hello all,

I've nailed down four ottomans I like for my living room (to replace coffee table), but I'm not sure which one goes with the rest of the furniture, if at all. NOTE: This is not about room size or rearranging the space (we are moving), it's solely about what looks best with my existing furniture. My criteria: It makes the room warm, cozy, inviting and adds a causal element.

*Thank you all for your continued help and advice. Sometimes it's hard to hear, but I appreciate all comments*

1. My living room:

Ottoman 1:

Ottoman 2:

Ottoman 3:

Ottoman 4:

Comments (17)

• Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wanted to add that I have patterned pillows and a throw on ordered to provide more dimension and visual interest. Also, I have a painting that I've been to lazy to hang. :-/

• Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Auntthelma: thank you and me too!! Especially with kids and implementing a cozy feeling.

• Lisa G
    8 years ago

They're all almost identical. Choose whichever one matches the leather recliner best.

• Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa G...yeah, it was the stitching that I was ultimately questioning.

• PRO
    Berphin Interior
    8 years ago
    Hello! We would recommend the one on the white background image, its shape is not too soft as the rest ones and its legs are perfectly simple! Good luck!
    Kanga thanked Berphin Interior
  • Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Berphin Interior: thank you for your recommendation. I feel like that particular ottoman gives more of a formal vibe compared to the rest. Would you agree? Or am I crazy? Thanks!

• PRO
    Berphin Interior
    8 years ago
    A little more formal! That's right! You're not crazy))
    Kanga thanked Berphin Interior
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    If you're moving, do you think it might be better to wait till you're in your new place before deciding on an ottoman? There may be factors - like the flooring - that may affect your decision
  • Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Drdeb1234: Yes, that would be ideal; however, we are military and our life is revolved around moving. Honestly, if I waited until we stopped moving...well, that would be about 10ish years from now and about 2-3 more homes (not including our "retirement" location). Lol! I totally respect the what-if question, but since these ottomans are fairly inexpensive, I figured I'd get something I like.

• Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ Berphin Interior: I'd prefer to go slightly more casual. Any other suggestions? Unless you feel that that ottoman still provides a warm, inviting feeling?? I don't want people to be afraid to put their feet up. I ask because it's the only 43x43 out of the bunch. I'm having a hellofa time finding a brown leather tufted ottoman (NOT storage and NOT a hybrid table) that is larger than 42x42. Ugh. Thanks again!

• suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Really like the blue chairs. If you're opting for repurposing the coffee table, consider placing it between the two blue chairs.

Unless your new room is truly huge and you're trying to fill in space, the large square ones seem too large to suit what you have. Two smaller square ottomans for use with the two blue chairs would be more practical; better yet, and since the chairs have a curved back, two smaller round ones would better suit -- then keep your coffee table. Also, since you only have one sofa, and if you're opting for only one, a rectangle shaped one would be better suited for what furniture you now have..

Since none are an exact match to any color, you may want to opt for contrast. The ones with the buttons will not likely be as comfortable to use as the ones without but the ones without may well more quickly show wear on the seams.

Kanga thanked suezbell
  • Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@suezbell: Contrastinf color is an interesting thought for the ottoman. I just assumed I'd want brown to match the recliner (which we are keeping...thanks to hubby). I feel adding another color might be too far of a reach or too much competition with the other furniture. At first I was concerned with two small ottomans because I already have two chairs...too many pairs??? The ottoman is ultimately taking the place of the coffee table and would be placed directly in front of the sofa. As for repurposing the coffee table for the accent chairs...meh...I have this amazing carved, bronze drum table inbetween. Love it!

Thanks again!

• Kanga
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Perhaps a pattern since I have so many solids?

Or

• User
    8 years ago
    Yes, definitely a patterned upholstered piece. No more pleather. You need texture and pattern. Maybe wait until you move.
  • PRO
    Bloom Your Space Organizing
    8 years ago

As others pointed, whichever matches better the recliner. Is it possible to rotate the recliner a little more so it is not almost parallel with the couch?

• PRO
    Berphin Interior
    8 years ago
    The leather-like one is not too formal, it's just neater than the other ones. From the patterned two, we prefer the first one, it will take attention in the room. Both of them look nice, but don't forget, with the leather-like you could play around with pillows and throws patterns and it's more practical cleaning wise, as the other will dress up the room more and give character to your living room, but it's not too practical. We put it side by side on a picture for you to see!