Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmunkr

Hurst Hardwood Reviews?

jmunkr
8 years ago

I searched on here for any recent reviews of Hurst Hardwoods but didn't find any in past few years. I'm looking at their pre finished solid white oak in 4". They are sending me out a sample in both their character and choice grades. I'm leary about spending thousands of dollars on flooring from an online retailer. Their price seems to be much cheaper then any retailer around me.

Any input as well on the width choice of 4" in a white oak ?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• User
    8 years ago

I've seen the name but not heard anything good or bad. In general I'd consider that a good thing. People seem all too eager to post bad reviews.

4" solid white oak is a nice choice, depending on where you live and what the humidity variations are. I'd ask what their average lengths are. If you have larger rooms it would be wise to order some extra so you can cull. The only unique issues with a product like this that I can think of would be overwood/lippage and proper acclimation. Having the subfloor acclimated and a proper moisture/vapor underlayment are important.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lengths are advertised as 1'-7', they said there is an equal proportion to each length in the box. I'd like for that to be the case but who knows. The choice grade is $4.09 and character grade is $3.39.

The rep I spoke with stated to use a 10% waste factor. I'm in VA.

• User
    8 years ago

10% should be fine, rounded up to the next carton. VA doesn't have super low humidity in the winter so the 4" should work out fine for you. If you're curious about lengths or quality, you can always buy a whole carton. It'll cost you for shipping but might save you from a costly mistake.

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Curious as to how big the samples are? For four bucks, great price. Won't win any awards, functional and Hurst has been in the business since 2005 or so. I think it's his son that runs flooring.org, both located in the Tampa area.

Probably ships out of Reidsville, NC as that's where a lot of no name product comes from.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I asked who the manufacturer was and was told it various depending on mills availability.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the video. It's interesting how the process is not performed in house by each manufacturer.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the event anyone was interested....it's been a little over a week and no samples have arrived from Hurst. I called and was informed that my sample order wasn't in the system, they stated they would enter it and mail them out at no shipping charge. I was not charged for shipping on the first order according to to CC statememt.

This salesman was very helpful and even told me the mill where they source this particular product from, turns out it's only 4hrs away from me.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: The first samples arrived two weeks after the initial order was placed. After the first week went by and no samples I called and was told they had no record of my request and sent them out then. They arrived a week later on 2/19.

Unfortunately the natural was too light for our cabinets so on 2/20 I called and asked for more samples with a stain. I was billed for the shipping promptly, however that was it. On 2/26 I called and spoke with an employee who once again found no record of my order.

At this point I'm very uneasy about spending thousands of dollars with them. If there was a problem with my order I don't have confidence it would be corrected, and in a reasonable time period.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Sounds a little strange to me too. I would spend a little more and buy from a local flooring store. Any issues and you know where to go to get it resolved.

• jmunkr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The owner of Hurst checked the emails of the salesman I was dealing with while he was on vacation. I was told my salesman was new and was dyslexic. I got a refund for sample shipping cost since they never got sent out. I was nearly a month in and had issues each time I requested samples.

I did not order from them and placed an order with nicefloors.com

• Bonnie DiLuccia
    3 years ago

I have been searching for engineered walnut floors forever, keep coming back to Hurst. Finally called and requested samples, walnut and frenvh oak. Person was very nice said I owed nothing...no emails, nothing. While on Amazon I noticed they had samples of the Hurst floors, so I ordered them...cost over p$16, but they came quite quick as they are in Florida and I'm in CA. The french oak sample didn't even resemble the online pics. The walnut looked exactly like online pics, even sent 2 separate ones to show color variation. But they have written the wrong sample on the paperwork. I ordered a 1/2 thick with only 2mm wear layer, which is what was sent, but the receipt says it was the 5/8 0with the 4mm wear layer. I'm so sad since I finally found something I like that isn't out of my price range, but am wondering if I should buy from people who are so unprofessional and obviously not very good at their job, should be able to tell instantly if the sample was 4 or 2....anyone actually install any of their product?

• Denise Wood
    14 days ago

I wouldn’t