Software
Houzz Logo Print
lizmoore66

Can I paint my garage trellis yellow?

10 years ago

I would like to paint the trellis a bright color- maybe yellow? Is this crazy?

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    If you paint the house navy it might work.

  • 10 years ago

    It's a pergola - for vines - yellow trumpet vine will grow in most areas.

  • 10 years ago
    Do it! You can always repaint if you don't like it.
  • 10 years ago
    I love the idea of a yellow door & then painting the trellis yellow! Too many people play it too safe. It's just paint. I would cost less than $50 & an afternoon of time. If you don't like it after a while switch it out.
  • 10 years ago

    Paint it yellow along with your railing. I painted my trellis lavender against a dark teal house. Go for it. Then paint your entry door lime green if you want to go all out. Or even a purple door. You will stand out on your block.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I did a paint with Benjamin moore colors:

    Cheerful

    City scape morning

    good morning sunshine

    Sweet pear

    Granny Smith

    Lemonade

    And one with the porch

    lemon freeze

    I think you should try virtual paint too before real paint, bearing in mind it's different in real light. Hope this helps.

  • 10 years ago
    The yellow That came to mind was more of a school bus yellow, golden yellow or Benjamin Moore has a marigold yellow. A yellow with a hint of orange and a tad darker. I find that some of the lemony yellows are too bright & jarring on the eyes. That's just my opinion though.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry, I'll be the one to say - no, not unless you change all the other white trim around the windows and fascia to yellow. If you are looking for a lift - do try to grow something up and over it from both ends, put a bright cheerful color on the front door .. but railing and trellis need to match trim or house or tone thereof [UNLESS, and this is a BIG unless], you take the entire house into a reclaimed art cottage place with varied color trim in primary tones all over the house . .

    - red, yellow, green and (since the house is blue-gray) orange and purple -

    red on the pair of little square window trims to the right of the entry, a grellow sort of citrus green around the large window to the right (will balance the yellow on the trellis), orange on the upper octagon and yellow on the trellis - if you go for it .. and then you need something like a geranium / dark pink front door ... then it looks a plan and you can pull it off on just the window trim and trellis. Leave the garage door white, and the railing might go purple in this scheme .. now it makes sense as a composition . .

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Once you find the right yellow, I think it would be charming. It needs to have grey undertones and be muted, just enough bright to see the difference between the house color. With a grey house you might consider going towards the gold side of yellow. And of course, carry out the yellow in two more places in the facade. You need shutters, by the way on the largest windows. I wouldn't change the dark railing and steps. The front door could be a shade of yellow that relates to the yellow on the trellis, definitely don' need to be the same.

    Bring some color in your landscaping. Stella d'oro daylillies for example. A flowering tree against the gray.

  • 10 years ago

    Is that really what you want to call that much attention to? It's a bad idea. Get some yellow flower pots.

  • 10 years ago

    Creamy white would draw attention to it and whatever grows on it and would look beautiful with the grey facade.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much for all of the ideas. I guess I really just wanted some color and wasn't sure of an easy way to go about it. I think I'll start with door and flowers as some of you suggested. The large pots came with the house and I'm going to keep them for now but add some yellow plants around. I'll post pics of new door soon. Still thinking about the shutter idea...