Software
Houzz Logo Print
nic21380

Looking for advice

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I am looking at buying this house. The interior of the house is great, and the outside just needs some TLC. I am thinking of painting the front door red and keeping the house white, but am looking for more advice. My other idea is to eventually paint the house a nice light sage.

Please note: Please don't concentrate on the roof. It has already been addressed. I am only asking for positive input, not complaints please.



Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    Can you do a red metal roof too? I love a white farmhouse with a red roof. I would love a red door too. Rockers instead of what they have on the porch.

    Nic C thanked Claudianne Young
  • 10 years ago

    Yeah I want to add a porch swing on one or both porches, and I think rockers would be cute for additional seating. I saw a cute picture where there was a white house and the window frames were painted black.

  • 10 years ago

    I'd be far more concerned with the ramshackle shed roof addition and the water damage around back. Decor comes and goes. Water damage stays around forever unless you reconstruct the problem and make the construction defects go away.

  • 10 years ago

    There is no current water problem, just the cleanup from it now.

  • 10 years ago

    Lovely farmhouse. Confused to as which is the front door. I would definatley expand the entrance/exit stair areas & add some rails to each perhaps. Love the red door idea (also adding a metal roof, too). Going with a light sage color will blend it into the landscape more.

    Nic C thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago

    Oh there's water issues alright. Especially where the shed meets the valleys from the gables. The entire roof system needs to be reframe and recovered first thing. Plain green metal would be a classic.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Ok people...the inspector already went through this. Please stop with the water comments when that has already been addressed. I'm asking for help with ideas for the outdoor aesthetics.

  • 10 years ago
    Definitely address the roof and after you do, could you please move the satellite dish to the back of the house as well? They never look good in front of a house.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Barrington Farm House · More Info

    The Red door will look great with the white house. It will give the front door real punch. Some additional color in landscaping would also be great.
    Country Cathedral · More Info

    Nic C thanked Design Intervention
  • 10 years ago
    Paint the door red and when possible beef up the skinny 4" posts to 6" posts. Everything looks off-scale. Replace the furniture and please don't paint it sage green.
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! I am thinking some colorful hydrangeas would look great, and I plan on doing a large cut flower garden, a rose bush garden, and lots of colorful plants with both porches for sure!

  • 10 years ago

    Roydollar---I wish I had a picture of the specific green. I saw it on a beautiful farmhouse in Wagener, SC and have loved the color ever since. Sage green is the best color description I can think of until I find the specific color again. I may have to go to that house and ask the owners just to get it right. I definitely think the posts need to be redone too to help improve the look. I would never keep that furniture if the current owners leave it. I think it looks odd to have two red chairs like that sitting there.

  • 10 years ago
    Here's a photo of a painting in my home. This is why I commented on your house. It looks so similar. Keep it white, put a red roof on when you can, paint the door red and consider adding some red shutters where they make sense.
    Nic C thanked roydollar
  • 10 years ago

    flopsycat--Thank you! I like houses that just need some work so I can put my touch on it. There is something about it that is so appealing. I don't like houses that are all basically perfect already, because it feels weird to me to just go change something that is already fine just because it is not my taste.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Adorable farmhouse! I'm glad you're going to help it out. I'm in the camp that likes the white siding, either with a red roof and door or gray roof with green trim; it's hard to picture your sage color without a picture. While I like the rustic wood beams and porch floor, it looks a little problematic with the brick and cement foundation, plantings will help disguise that, but is it sound? Yes to hydrangeas and roses. Maybe a climbing rose on the side and prune or remove the large shrubs? (I can't tell what they are). Move the dish somewhere else and I suggest larger rustic porch lights, and nix the the tiki lamps, they really don't work there.

    Green trim, a lighter green would work too:

    Climbing rose Eden and clematis

  • 10 years ago

    Nic- Don't know if it is at all your style, but check out this article on a very cool modern take on farmhouse style.


    http://www.dwell.com/house-tours/article/our-modern-farmhouse-dreams-come-true-north-carolina-gem


  • 10 years ago

    Lots of great advice. The main thing I see is that the main door needs to be given more importance. Make it really clear where the guest needs to be going when they are arriving. A wider pathway, colourful urns at the main door, better lighting etc will help. Make it big, safe and pretty!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If you paint the house sage (good choice) paint the front door Indian or Chinese red not a bright cherry red. The house has endless possibilities, landscaping will work wonders. Good luck if you take the plunge!