FIND PROFESSIONALS
etran

Anyone have Daltile One Quartz countertops?

etran

The granite fabricator I visited today recommended this brand as a low cost quartz manufacturer. I did a quick search online and saw they use Breton technology and have manufacturing facilities in the US and Mexico.

Anyone have their countertops or know anything about them?

• etran

Bump. No one knows anything about them? Guess they're not too popular.

• anitamo

Sorry, I've never heard of them. Did he give any more info to you or a sample?

• etran

No, she didn't have a sample and didn't really know much about them other than being lower cost than the major brands.

• tackykat

I have Daltile OneQuartz (Summer Dawn) on our perimeter and Silestone (Bamboo) on our island. Our kitchen designer recommended the Daltile as a less expensive and comparable twin to Silestone Haiku. They are both looking good 2 years after our remodel.

Winfield Kitchen · More Info

• Paul

Stay away from Daltile quartz, esp West Village series. Despite common sense re quartz and Daltile ad photos, the edge finish for the color and veining detail is NOT through-body. Photo 1-4: installed Empire Grey (reality). Photo 5-7: Daltile online brochure photos.

• Paul

(Cont’) Photo 4: reality. Photos 5-7: Daltile online Brochure photos - don’t be fooled by these misleading photos on edge detail. Daltile quartz has issues that require mitering all edges to look good. Why would anyone pick a quartz that costs more in labor to execute? Exactly.

• Paul

The worst part is that Daltile admits this is common with their product line, and they feel it is aesthetically acceptable and not their problem. When asked about the discrepancy between reality and the online photos, their answer is a legal one - they never claim in writing that their quartz has through-body details. If we had known, we would have gone with Pental quartz, or less likely, spend more $ to miter the Daltile quartz. Instead we’re now left in limbo. If you want a premium product that is backed by its manufacturer, steer clear of Daltile.

• Paul

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for asking.

My complaint is that Daltile quartz in reality has a really ugly edge aesthetic, which caught my team by surprise. The veining and color pattern never penetrate more than 50% of the way though the slab, making it look dirty like a stain along the edge of all the countertops. Whereas the Daltile brochure photos of the West Village series show beautiful full thickness veining and even color distribution along the countertop edge.

After-the-fact, the Daltile rep says this is a common issue with their quartz, yet my design team and builder have never heard of this issue with quartz. Daltile rep blamed us for not knowing better, yet there is no Daltile literature warning designers or fabricators that Daltile products should be mitered for best results. The Daltile rep admits he has had to explain this to other clients, which implies we are not the only ones complaining. It seems to me that this is a deliberate move on the part of Daltile to continue selling a product with issues by showing “representative” online photos that are misleading.

Because Daltile sees nothing wrong with this practice, they refuse to replace the slabs, which would at least have helped us with the possibility to redo the counters with a mitered edge.

I am hoping that this information helps other designers/builders/fabricators/clients from being fooled by Daltile and making the same costly mistake.

P

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Paul:

Not to brag, but I have an exceptionally well-trained eye for such things and I had difficulty seeing what you were pointing out. I've seen mitered edges on quartz and am not that impressed. A miter wouldn't look as good as your tops do, I promise.

• Paul

Joseph,
    My fabricator told me that this Daltile photo could only be a mitered edge, given that it appears more than 3 cm thick relative to the thickness of the sink cut out. But if mitered edge can’t save this product then we’re going to go with a different manufacturer entirely.
    Paul

• msmodernshopper
    last year
    last modified: last year

I was consodering Daltile’s one quartz in ’independence calacatta’ for my kitchen but noticed the veining only carries through half the slab. Very disappointing as I really loved this design and that it is made in the US. The search continues...🤦🏻‍♀️

• Nick
    last year

We are about to pull the trigger on Daltile...is this not a good option? Does this mean the edges don't show the detail all the way through?

• jh0ff
    last year

I’m confused too. @abildy, @Paul Are you saying that the thin “bevel” at the countertop edge is a different color and without veining? Where it turns at 90 degrees? I can’t really tell from the photos. Thanks for your help. I am considering Daltile Freedom Calacatta.

• madar3
    last year

I have pricey silestone Calacatta gold 3cm quartz in a bar and not every single wave goes through consistently on the edge end to end.some cover the edge and some gray tone specks go 50% here and there. I chose a mont quartz for my kitchen but apparently that line had variation between lots And I had to change or go check each lot. I would use the sileststone again but it isn’t bright enough white for my kitchen. I’m considering the daltIle independence light/medium gray wave and lines. I certainly will ask them About cutting and edges but even with silestone and other lines, there may be parts of edge that vary in how much the wave or line covers.

• sjhooper

@nick did you end up going with Daltile?

• Lisa Giametta

@Nick, @jh0ff, @madar3 Did any of you go with Daltile. we are considering because we need the extra large slabs.

• CeeWhy

@Lisa Giametta I had Daltile installed in October and love it. I didn't have any issues with whatever veining problems @abildy was describing.

This is called Valor White.

Does anyone have pictures of any of the Daltile American Reserve quartz countertops? We are specifically looking at Liberty Calacatta. Would love to see the countertop edge as well. Thanks!!

• Jay Dawn

@ceewhy do you have a bigger pic? considering valor white!

• CeeWhy

@Jay Dawn

Sorry, it's hard to get a good angle! It's lighter in real life, but looks darker in my pics. Photos don't do it justice. Click on them to get a better look. I do have a picture of the slab in the showroom if you'd like to see that? I couldn't get pics close up because the slabs are very large.

A lot of veining in quartz is thick and zebra-like to me, and I wanted more subtle veining. When I saw this in the showroom I said, "That's 'The One'!" I love it. Jasmine White is very similar, without the veining.

@HU-647459265 I have photos of American Reserve slabs from my trip to Daltile's showroom, but not Liberty Calacatta. I have Noble Grey, Broadway Black, Valor White, and Jasmine White. Let me know if you'd like to see them?

Anybody know why pricing on Daltile One is so secretive? I can't find pricing anywhere online, and the showroom told me my fabricator or installer would give me the price. My only experience with this is what I paid, and I have no idea if it was a good price or not!

• Jay Dawn

Thank you! i think valor white is more expenisve and jasmine white much less expensive

• CeeWhy

@Jay Dawn according to the showroom, Jasmine is in price group 3 and Valor is in price group 4. I asked the fabricator for the difference in price between 3, 4, and 5 (also looked at Avenue White in price group 5) and didn't really get an answer. He just told me he charges by the slab and couldn't give me a price until I knew what I wanted and it was ordered. Seemed really sketchy, but I really wanted Valor White so I went with it. Why is pricing so secretive?? 🤨

• Kyle Fisk

@CeeWhy We are considering the Valor White as well. Would you mind sharing the sq.ft. price you paid for comparison sake? Ours is $100

• Verbo

Wholesalers do not sell products directly to consumers. They sell to fabricators, who set their own labor price. Stone price is mostly labor. The higher priced labor is generally for the higher skilled labor. A wholesaler would be unethical to reveal their customer’s proprietary information, if they even had access to that.

If you want to know your stone price, you start by finding a highly skilled fabricator. Same as if you want to know the price of eggplant parmesan as a restaurant meal, you find a great Italian restaurant and look at their menu. You don’t call up the wholesale produce company and badger them about what price they sell their eggplants to the restaurant. Wholesale is not retail.

• Jay Dawn

ours is 8000 for 3 slabs

• CeeWhy

@Kyle Fisk the fabricator we used charged per slab with labor included. Our price was $4500/slab. @Jay Dawn is that the price they told you for Valor? Maybe I got ripped off.

• Jay Dawn

@CeeWhy no actually i think its about the same because ours is 13,000 total for 3 slabs (the 8000 did not include labor)

• CeeWhy

@Jay Dawn that makes me feel better! The fabricator wouldn't give us the difference in price between price groups, so I had no idea what the comparison should be.

And @Verbo your comparison to ordering eggplant parmesan makes no sense here. I don't go to a restaurant where they won't tell me price differences between items on the menu, and keep the cost of the meal secret until after I order...which is what the quartz fabricator did. I wasn't "badgering" anyone for the wholesale price of the quartz. I was asking for the price difference between Daltile One pricing groups, with the fabricator's installation price included. For all I know, he would have charged me the same if I had purchased from price group 3 instead of price group 4. And since I can't find any price comparisons for Daltile One online, I didn't know if I got a good price or not.

• Verbo

Those are questions for your chosen *fabricator*, not the quartz wholesaler. Youre still going around asking the price of eggplants. Not eggplant parmesan.

• CeeWhy

Again, I did not ask the *wholesaler* for their pricing. I asked the *fabricator*, and he would not tell me *his* price difference between pricing groups. I was asking *here* for comparisons *with installation*.

When I walk into a home improvement store and see a display with quartz countertop pricing *with installation* it tells me the price for group A, B, C, etc. I know what to expect. Daltile's showroom told me what slabs were in what pricing group. The fabricator would not tell me *his* price difference with installation between group 3 (a less expensive group) and group 4 (which is what I chose). Like most homeowners I have a budget, and wanted to know the *fabricator's* pricing to decide whether I went with group 3 or group 4, and he would not tell me until I ordered.

Do you go to a restaurant and ask the difference in price between chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan, and the cook says that he won't tell you the price until you have already ordered? How is that asking for the price that the restaurant paid for the supplies? I'm not sure where you're getting that I am asking for wholesale pricing. Please, go eat some eggplant parmesan and move on.

@CeeWhy, thank you for sharing pics. We are deciding between Valor White and Muse by LG. My biggest concern with Valor is how the edges look, particularly the veining and how they appear on the sides. Would you mind sharing some pics of the edges particularly in these areas. I guess it's no secret the veins don't go thru full thickness with Daltile, but I'd just like to see how the finish looks. thanks. Love the look of your island by the way.

• CeeWhy

@HU-819414396

Here are pics of the areas you had circled. Valor White's veining has areas where there are "breaks" in the vein, so the veins ending here are consistent with the rest of the veining on the slab (see last photo). Sorry if the first 2 pics look yellow, the blinds are open and the sun is starting to set. The last photo is the more accurate color. Valor White is very similar to Jasmine White, which looks (to me) like Valor without the veining. If you notice between the veins, there are gray flecks throughout. The edges of the countertops have these flecks as well, so the veining not going through the slab doesn't bother me at all.

• Amanda Hoekstra

@CeeWhy what type of edge is your counter top? Beautiful kitchen! I noticed you have white cabinets in the back ground does the counter look white against your cabinets or more grey hue? Thanks so much for your photos above, so helpful!

• CeeWhy

@Amanda Hoekstra thank you! My cabinet guy called it "flat polished edge". I think my countertop looks white against the cabinets, but not a bright white if that makes sense? My cabinets are painted SW Extra White, I believe. The countertop does look a little darker when lights are off vs when they're on, but I don't think there's a gray hue. My lights are 4000k.

Lights on

Lights off

Lights off

Lights on

• Amanda Hoekstra

Thank you! Yes this is exactly what I needed to see. My sample I have is very grey and I want it to look like this. I appreciate your response so much.

• msmodernshopper

Update: I just had Daltile Independence Calacatta installed. I looked at many options but ended up on this one since it was the only slab large enough to avoid a seam in the island. The veins have a cooler tone which doesn‘t show up well in the photos. The veins do partially carry through on the edges (initially a concern of mine) but they're so light it’s not very noticeable. Cabinets are SW Pure White.

• Delta Victor

@msmodernshopper - How do you like the Daltile overall? Is the price point cheaper than other brands? Any details on durability, stain resistance, etc?

We were going to choose between Silestone Eternal Calacatta Gold or Daltile Independence Calacatta.

• msmodernshopper

@Delta Victor It’s very pretty and subtle. I like Daltile as a brand and have selected a few other Daltile finishes for this home. They are always friendly and generous with samples (at least when I was there about a year ago).

Independence calacatta is quite white & bright if thats the look you’re going for. It’s a new construction and haven’t moved in yet so can’t comment on durability, stain resistance, etc. My sample has been scuffed by other samples and I was able to wipe it clean with just my finger. I have the polished finish.

This was priced through the builder and was an upgrade from their standard level. I don’t know how it‘s pricing compares with other brands because it was the only one I had them price. I *think* Independence calacatta was Daltile’s highest level (5?) but it’s been so long since I was at the showroom I don’t remember. I would think it’s level is comparable with Silestone calacatta gold due to the degree of veining.

• allie

@msmodernshopper What did you pay for the Daltile Independence Calacatta slab(s)? (or just price per sq. ft. if it wasn't broken out by materials vs. labor)