Software
Houzz Logo Print
abbey_monahan

Wood Floors

10 years ago
I'm leary to put wood floors in my master bath. Do you think they can withstand the water and general wear and tear in a bathroom?
Cliff Road Area - Nantucket · More Info

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hello Jonathan! We are deciding whether to install wood or tile floor in our master bath. It is so nice to hear your opinion on the subject and these floors are beautiful. Do you think an engineered white oak is as stable as an on-site finished wood?

    Also, the color of the cabinets? White Dove? I didn't see this mentioned in the run of ??'s ;-)

    Thank you for your time!

  • 10 years ago
    We thought the same thing and are going with Coretec Plus. Check out comments on Houzz regarding this flooring. Great reviews, looks great and can handle the water.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Are these floors nailed down as well?
  • 9 years ago

    No they are not nailed down. It's a floating floor and if you have a flood or have to replace one you can get them up. They are still looking awesome and we love our floors almost 16 months later.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello Mandy,

    First, I'd like to correct Michelle's comment above. The floors are nailed down as can be seen by the pattern of holes in the picture. While there are many methods and opinions of wood floors and how they should be installed, the technique we used in this bath and many others has worked for many many years. We are believers of engineered flooring and always glue it down 100%, especially in bathrooms. In this particular bath we wanted to see a nail pattern, so we used hot dipped galvanized cut nail nails. This way if any surface water were to penetrate the nail head, there would be no bleeding or rust generated, which would happen with a regular hardened steel nail.

  • 9 years ago

    I thought she was responding to another comment. Mine was not referring to that flooring in the picture.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for your reply. love the exposed nailhead look. I ask because I actually think we are going to do this in the house we are building, except I plan on using tapcon screws instead of nails, because we are on a concrete slab and I don't want to do a subfloor. thanks again.
  • 8 years ago
    Can you please clarify whether this is an engineered floor? I assumed it was solid hardwood, but your recent comment about engineered has me second-guessing. If engineered, I’d love to know the brand. I’m trying to persuade our contractor to install wood floors in our master bath, and there’s so much pushback! I’m obsessing over all your Houzz projects and showing him all of your lovely work as proof! Thanks so much for any further info!