Software
Houzz Logo Print
auntkathy

Selling mom's townhouse

10 years ago


My mother left me her townhouse when she died. I live 600 miles away and need to prepare it for sale. I have searched everywhere for ideas, but when I look I only see rooms that have great architectural details. Unfortunately this is your BASIC 2bdr, 1 1/2 bath townhouse, built in the late 60's, nothing unique about it. It is filled with cheap wallpaper, and terrible cabinets. I have included a photo of a similar kitchen and

iving room. Inexpensive and not too difficult ideas please. I do not want to paint the townhouse white. I need to make the townhouse stand out from the other homes in the complex.

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm sorry for your loss and with having to deal with your mom's place long distance. If you need it to stand out and get the best price, I'm afraid you need to put some care and money into it. Staging can make a huge difference in the selling price.

    Since you are long distance, hire a local stager to arrange this. Honestly, it's money well spent. A stager will recommend removing wallpaper, painting all the rooms one color, moving some furniture out, adding in some other pieces and better lighting. What you spend up front you'll get back in a higher sales price. I'm not a professional stager, but I staged our own house for following these principles in the very down market of 2008 when the market was tanking and got four offers above the asking price.

    This is probably not what you want to hear at such a difficult time. The alternative is just to get the place as clean as possible and take your chances.

  • 10 years ago

    If you haven't already cleaned out all of the personal belongings and furnishings be sure to do that right away. There are people that hold estate sales and often they'll come and get everything and sell even the clothing. What doesn't sell is donated or bought by a secondary seller.

  • 10 years ago
    do you have a budget?

    do you plan to do anything besides paint the interior?

    is the demand for townhouses in the area weak? from what you have written, it sounds as if the demand is weak. that is, you would not be concerned about making it stand out amongst other townhouses.

    given that any money spent on making the property more appealing may be lost, I would recommend doing as little as possible and put it on the market at a lower price than the competition. this will set it apart from the rest.

    while you may not want to paint it white, you should paint it white preferably a warm white to go with the woods. you are not painting this townhouse for your use. I would only paint it if that will make it presentable. only show it furnished if the your mother's furnishings make it more attractive.

    I would interview local realtors and ask their opinions on what should be done to the property to help sell it.

    good luck!
  • 10 years ago

    Clean and neutral are the key words here. Empty it, remove wallpaper, paint the walls a fresh ivory/white, ignore the cabinets if they are just cheap but not damaged, replace carpet throughout. Sell. I wouldn't even stage it. If you don't get offers comparable to what similar town houses in the area sold for, then evaluate further investment vs. taking the pressure off and getting what you can out of it. Do your research on the local market with a realtor first. Then decide.

  • 10 years ago

    Talk to three very active local real estate agents next time you are there to see what your market is and what they recommend doing (and not doing). I realize that these photos are not of your mother's place, but if they are "the competition" in the townhouse complex, it looks like new paint, new carpet and perhaps some updated lighting fixtures might be enough. As others have said, clearing the house with the aid of an estate sales company will reduce your workload dramatically. Local agents can recommend estate sales people, cleaners, painters and electricians. Making the property stand out in MLS photos depends on having a good stager and a good professional photographer.

    If you need to keep some furniture there so that you can stay there when visiting, strip it down to the basic furniture. Do spend money ($200 should do it) on a sofa slipcover, new sheets, new pillows, and new comforter set. Pretend it is a vacation condo - it's easier to imagine what a vacation condo has in the kitchen (just the basics). Put in bright light bulbs and get rid of the CFLs.

    Simple, unfussy architecture was a characteristic of much 1960's construction. That's what appeals to a lot of people today. There's no need to add architectural details.

    Here is a photo and link to other photos of a mid century small house furnished with some Ikea and Target pieces. What's the point? you may ask as you are not likely to buy all new furnishings just to sell the place. The point is that it is simple, freshly painted, light and airy. It is easy to imagine it empty, with new paint and sparkling clean windows. http://www.houzz.com/projects/71380/glenhurst-ave

    Mid Century Modern Living Room - Small Bungalow · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Any updates?

  • 10 years ago
    Get local real estate persons' price opinion...three should be enough. Empty the place. Remove wallpaper, paint all rooms a soft neutral color, replace the carpet with a compatible, somewhat darker, neutral. Clean the kitchen and bathroom.

    If you feel a need to improve the kitchen and bathroom, use simple white shaker cabinetry and a quartz countertop. If you replace the appliances, put medium-range quality or better, not low-end. Move-in ready may make selling easier.
  • 10 years ago
    Don't forget proper length drapes.