Software
Houzz Logo Print
kellydonlonhoy

Kitchen countertop and backsplash color

10 years ago
We are installing new kitchen and our cabinets are painted light grey and top, dark grey on the bottom. our floor is a ceramic tile (12×24) -- pictures below. I welcome feedback on the choices below.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I actually like them all but probably 2 and 3 for looks but it will depend what else you have going on around the kitchen I love the movement in them both with a simple white glass subway tile in a large format .If you have an island you could do the black on the island and then the last one on the perimeter .

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you Patricia! We do not have an island--but I agree using the black in a smaller area would have been a perfect solution! We were leaning toward white subway tile--so thank you for suggesting that, too!


  • 10 years ago

    Are the small pieces the cabinet colors? Are the large ones the floor tiles you are considering?

  • 10 years ago
    Ann, thanks for your question. The small grey squares are cabinets. I have attached a picture of the floor tiles.
  • 10 years ago

    I think the dark counter (2) is your best bet. You have to be very careful about the tones of you counter with those of the floor. My second choice would be #4 but I'd spend a lot of time looking at a sample of that one with the floor tile (in various lights). I think the colors of 1 and 3 will be really off with the color of the floor. I think #2 will work very nicely and make your backsplash choice easier as well.

  • 10 years ago
    Just be sure to bring home the largest samples possible to decide. What we thought was perfect in the store, Proved wrong in the actual kitchen. We had to start the selection process over.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The middle 2 options would not be my first choice but the first and last are beautiful choices!! Especially if you are looking to do white subway tile. The dark counters will make the space look much smaller and may be too many colour combos with the dark and light cabinets

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all! My husband prefers the dark--and I agree it would definitely make it "pop" but the stone vendor explained that it may look dated after awhile--and that if we want to consider resale at some point--the lighter countertops are a safer bet.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My MIL bought a vacation condo in Phoenix. The tile floors had a slightly orange tone and the counter a slightly pink tone. Both were pretty neutral, but the difference in undertones was just dreadful in some lights. That's why I'd be careful with your light choices along with your floor tile. I can't imagine why a dark counter would look dated anymore than a light counter.

    Picking a counter when you have tile floors rather than wood floors can be very tricky. A few months ago, there was a Houzz dilemma where the floor was rather cream toned and the counter was a very cool white stone. The homeowner hated the result and if I remember correctly, she decided to rip out the floor. That's what I worry about in your case. At least two of your light counter choices are cool whites and the floor is warm. It could present the same issue.


  • 10 years ago

    Thanks, Ann. And this is just the type of thing that would drive me crazy if it didn't match. There is one of the tiles that does have some creamier tan tones with the grey and white. That may end up being our best bet. . .

  • 10 years ago

    Is it the fourth one? That one looks the creamiest to me.

  • 10 years ago

    I think all your choices are great with your cabinet colors (which are very nice, by the way). But, the floor color is also super important in the final choice. As long as the counter you choose is really good with the floor too, I think it will all come together very nicely.

  • 10 years ago
    These are my favorites