Software
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_pondok

Wall color

10 years ago

Considering a change in wall color- any suggestions? Would like to keep it light/bright but maybe at a hint of color. Considering a gray/blue but current furniture staying

Comments (50)

  • 10 years ago

    Let's just try some colors out, shall we? Back in a bit.

    Theresa Pondok thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    Of course, nothing substitutes for painting an actual sample in your actual room.

    Theresa Pondok thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    wow i love that you could do this for me!! thank you so much!!!


  • 10 years ago

    do you like it better than current color groveraxle?

  • 10 years ago

    I like Grover's first offering.

    Theresa Pondok thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    grover out of curiosity could you show me lily white?

  • 10 years ago

    Lily white appears to have a cool undertone. This is the best I could do, but I don't think it's going to work in your warm room.


    In answer to your previous question, I really like those grayish greens, especially the darker one above.


  • 10 years ago

    This is extremely helpful- i was having a hard time visualizing. I wanted to keep things light but i agree the cool undertones dont do well in our room. I guess the other option is a more neutral warm gray like revere pewter. What im not crazy about with the current color is the yellow undertones. I would love any other paint suggestions (any color) that you may have. You have a much better eye than me :)

  • 10 years ago

    Revere pewter:

    SW Sea salt:


    Theresa Pondok thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago
    I like the current color so much! Save one wall in the world from Revere pewter! :)
    Theresa Pondok thanked Pool Habit
  • 10 years ago

    I like Grover's first rendering. It makes all your white woodwork look so crisp and yet still complements your warm furnishings.

  • 10 years ago
    I also like Grover's first paint color. Would also consider BM's Palladian Blue or Stratton Blue.
  • 10 years ago
    You could try a greige, a gray/beige. Behr Silver Tradition is very pretty, and will go with your warm room. The white trim will look good.
  • 10 years ago

    Palladian blue

    Stratton blue
    Wedgewood gray
    Some unknown greige I just made up:



  • 10 years ago

    so can we have a final show of hands- greige, first gray shown above or leave it alone? thanks all!

  • 10 years ago

    I vote for Grover's first rendering.

    Theresa Pondok thanked Amoeba-meba
  • 10 years ago

    I like the last picture posted by Grover. The gray is still light and bright without the weird aqua undertones that some of the others were getting. The first pics (darker color) looks great, but I would worry that could darken the space too much. The light gray is also a very modern color...it will blend you beige furniture and wood floor for a fresh new style.

    Theresa Pondok thanked Megan Rutledge
  • 10 years ago

    I also like the first one that Grover posted the best. It's warm without being too dark. It looks like you get a good amount of light in that room so I think it would work well.

    Theresa Pondok thanked Turell Danson
  • 10 years ago

    Theresa, ultimately you will have to paint samples, but I vote for my first rendering as well. On some gut level, you chose it too because it was on one of the sample chips you had on the mantel.

    Theresa Pondok thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    I like the one Grover posted first as well!! Grover, what program are you using?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I really like the one Grover posted first, very warm and elegant.

  • 10 years ago

    @Ashley Ware, I use Photoshop Elements.

  • 10 years ago
    His first choice hands down.
  • 10 years ago
    Good luck
  • 10 years ago

    I still prefer Grover's first offering. I also like his made up "unknown" greige too.

  • 10 years ago

    thanks all! i am either going to go for big change with grovers first choice or now considering a subtle change with a less yellow white. i do like the light airy feel of a lighter paint but its the yellow that bothers me. any suggestions on a less yellow white? grover could you show me dove white (bm)? or something like this color (which is a 50/50 mix of linen white and decorator white?


  • 10 years ago

    BM Simply White is a lovely warm-ish white. Very clean and fresh.

    Whatever you do, be sure to test the color in your physical room. Photoshop is helpful but not always accurate. Buy a few sample colors you are considering, paint some boards and view them in your room at different times of day.

  • 10 years ago

    Theresa, it's very hard to match hues when the values get as light as BM white dove, and then there's the whole problem of how your room light and reflections of furnishings affect it, but here's a stab. Just recognize that Photoshop can help you narrow your choices, but is no substitute for samples in the room.


  • 10 years ago

    I like Grover's unknown made-up greige, or a lighter greige for your lovely space...

  • 10 years ago

    Grover im back- now looking at beachglass- bm. Can you work your magic and show that too me?

  • 10 years ago

    Beach glass:


  • 10 years ago
    You have a lovely room. But since nobody's mentioned it yet, I will: your mantel could use some restyling. Things are lined up too evenly. And the symmetrical vases as well aren't ideal. It could be much more interesting and visually appealing with a little rearranging!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    well it took me forever to paint my room- but finally did it (with 4 kids 6yo and under no small task). Didnt want to go too dark so I went with beachglass. I was pretty happy with it. Its fairly blue in some light but goes well with the adjacent rooms and furniture and we needed some color. Thanks for all the help!

  • 10 years ago
    Taupe
  • 10 years ago
    Parade 2009 · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    To me the blues are not working well in that space you have too many warm tones in the rug and furniture. Try going with a greige such as BM Revere Pewter (pic shown is not capturing the true color) or SW Alpaca or Requisite.
  • 10 years ago


  • 10 years ago
    I have to say that color with a little hint of green to the blue really compliments the room. Nice big space. Looks awesome.
  • 10 years ago

    Yes it does have some hints of green! Thank you- its been a project. Now to figure out what i can do with the side opposite the built-ins. That side of the room has always been a tough space to fill for some reason

  • 10 years ago

    Theresa, I love the color. Now I want to come and DEclutter the space. This is a gorgeous room with gorgeous woodwork and you have lovely things, but too much of them. You don't need to fill every space. ;-)

  • 10 years ago

    Yeah there are 2 white radiator covers that unfortunately are permanent fixtures and prob make the room look more cluttered. The baby seat will go some day but im not rushing that one ;)

  • 10 years ago

    I want to see more of the built ins and the view. In fact, I wonder why the sofa isn't facing the window.

    Pull the chair out of the corner and into the room. Lower the photos.

  • 10 years ago

    That tall one is a radiator cover? Well at least take the lamp off the top of it.

  • 10 years ago

    My two cents' worth: the mirror frame and stonework around the fireplace look a bit grotty now next to the crisp new colours of walls and trim. Maybe brighten them by scrubbing the stones (I expect they have been tinged by smoke over the years) and perhaps painting or polishing the mirror frame.

  • 10 years ago
    The paint color looks beautiful! I would rotate the sofa to face the fireplace since you don't have a tv on the wall where the sofa is facing now.
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, rotating the sofa to face the fireplace will solve the bare console dilemma because it will cease to be a focal point.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Yay you! It was worth the time and effort on the paint job. Looks lovely.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all! I agree sofa should face he fireplace and we did have it that way for a while. The real issue is our 4 small kids- keeping it this way opens up the space a bit more which we kind of need now. The radiators are a big pain too. Also there is a tv in the armoire in the corner. Groveraxle i love your talent with photoshop!

  • 10 years ago

    We actually have another chair like te one seen here. I could put both chairs facing thr couch to make a square? It is upstairs now