Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Giants 2015

Sum and Substance the Giant in my garden.

Post your Giants here:

Comments (23)

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Elegans

Empress Wu

Fried Bananas

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sum and Substance

Elegans

SS flanked on either side with Elegans

Mini-giant Dream Queen

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

I my have more giants than other sizes. Some just seem to grow that big. I have always been a little confused by the size categories being set by height rather than diameter.

Blue Angel
    Sum and Substance
    Key West with Queen of the Seas
    Blue Mammoth
    Squash Caserole. This is my largest hosta, but only considered large. 6.5 feet

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    8 years ago

Blue Angel - all 8 feet 5 inches of her.
    Elegans
    Sum and Substance
    Winter Snow
    Winter Snow from the back.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

Peren great WS Can't get mine to grow. Probably need to move it into more sun.

8 years ago

sunnywood - Your Squash Casserole is such an outstanding specimen, funny how some take right off and others sit for a while. How old is your SC & your WS? This WS is on year 4 and gets sun until at least 1:30 - 2:00.

I agree the sizing is confusing. I used to prefer the way Diana Grenfell sized by the sq. inch of the leaf, but I have come around to Mark Zilis' way of thinking. Checkered Cab is a great example since it is only 13" tall but 52" wide. It could end up being lost behind ones that are taller. Been there, done that lol!

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

Peren SC is 6-7 years old. WS probably 4

8 years ago

This could be its leap year!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

A half-hidden Fragrant Bouquet

Glory

Striptease

montana Aureomarginata

This June is getting big.

tj

• mctavish6
    8 years ago

Here are a few.

Hirao Majesty

Green Gables

Stardust it's only called a large but seems pretty giant to me with montana in it's background

Another of Stardust in the garden. There is Blue Angel in the distance. It is growing but for 20 years not too much.

Frosted Jade

Ming Jade

Niagara Falls at it's largest in 2013. It had quite a few 17 inch leaves at this point. I hope it gets back to this size now that it's moved.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    8 years ago

Mctavish love that FJ planted one last year. Here's hoping!

• don_in_colorado
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great biggies! I don't have any mature giants, but I will post one of the largest hostas I own. This is Big Daddy.

• digger96 4b MN
    8 years ago

Me too, mine went in the ground two summers ago(along with the majority of mine). Would this summer then be considered leap year?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

I think peren.all covered that above. It will be a leap year for all this year.

tj

• old_dirt 6a
    8 years ago

Elegans has crowded out a few but now the rhododendron threatens it. I need to make a decision soon.

Komodo Dragon only in its 2nd full year and in a pot. Another decision, up-pot or put it in the ground.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

Gorgeous specimen that Komodo Dragon, Jerry! Up-potting that baby will be a hefty task :). You might have to spare an eighth of an acre for it soon, lol.

• old_dirt 6a
    8 years ago

Thanks Josephine, just moving that pot last fall and tipping it was quite a chore. I'm thinking a half whiskey barrel next.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Paul's Glory.....Large at least.

Roadside volunteer (Elegans parentage...probably)

Sagae

HELP! No location indicator, which is my memory trigger.

Striptease

Night before Christmas....Getting there anyway

Jon

• ctopher_mi
    8 years ago

Here are a few pictures of some of my giants:

First is Hosta Liberty

Next is Nancy Gill, a giant blue with Sum and Substance in its genes

Regal Splendor with Astilbe back before the years long drought

I'm doing my best impression of Wilson from the show Home Improvement here with Hosta 'His Honor'

Another not quite a giant, but big in its own right, Key Lime Pie

And how about Guardian Angel

Chris

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

Lovely giants, Chris. You remind me of that Gardener Guy - what was his name? Paul James?

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    8 years ago

As a fellow pot grower old _dirt, that impressive specimen certainly caught my eye.

BC

• musky3048
    8 years ago

I never get around to taking any photos and, even when I do, I can't find them. This I found only because I searched the hosta forum. Two of my favorites, Journey's End and Sun Power.