Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossmd

Panel Ready Bosch Dishwasher wont sit flush with cabinets

bossmd
8 years ago
Has anyone had an issue with panel-ready Bosch dishwashers not sitting flush with the rest of your cabinets? if so, how did you solve the problem?

We just bought and installed one and the dishwasher sticks out almost 2 inches, and that's without the panel even being installed yet. I can't even imagine how horrible its going to look with a 3/4' panel installed! The problem seems to be that all the drainage hoses and wires come straight out from the back of the unit (and not the bottom, like our old KA DW) and so there is no way to shove the DW all the way back against the wall. The hoses get in the way, and/or they get all kinked up and then the unit won't drain properly.

Am I missing something? The spec say the unit is 23.81" deep, so I guess its going to be a little proud of the cabinets, but the hoses make it stick out way more then that.

Comments (50)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

What is your cabinet depth? (We have an old house and our sink run is shallower than standard complicating things like dishwasher installs, which leads me to ask.)

• bossmd
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our cabinets are the standard 24" deep. Our Bosch DW has this incredibly long drainage hose that makes two big loops on the back. Where the loops cross, it easily adds another 2-3 inches to the depth of the DW. If we shoved it back there any harder, we would crush the drainage tubs. Are the tubs suppose to be looped like that? Is that what other people do? or do other people make the drainage tubes loop along the side? (not that we would have room for that either). Ugh.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

The drain hoses should be in the sink cabinet. The hoses are not supposed to be looped but have a high loop. You will run the hoses into the cabinet where the sink is next to the DW. Are you familiar with DW installations? Have you reviewed the manual? If not, can you have someone who installs these units perform the installation for you. The problems that may arise from a poor installation can cost more than the initial cost of getting them installed.

• bossmd
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So when we first unpacked the DW, the drainage hose was looped twice up the back and held in place with this plastic device, so we left it that way. Now I'm wondering if the hoses are not suppose to loop up the back like that at all. I know about the high loop, but that's by the sink, right? We didn't have a pro install it, so my husband did it instead. He's installed 2 other DW before, so he isn't a total rookie, but def not a pro.

I know he looked at some of the instructions, but I'm not sure he was particularly thorough in reading them. My husband is trying to convince me that the DW sticking out 2-3 inches is totally normal, but I suspect he's just telling me that because the install was a huge pain in the ass and he doesn't want to touch it again.

• Fori
    8 years ago

Contractors get a bad rap for saying something is normal when they don't want to bother to fix it. I think we can add husbands to that list. :P

I'm afraid he's going to have to do it again. Or you should do it. I don't think his heart is in it somehow. :)

• bossmd
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fori - I think you are right ;). I just wanted to hear from some other folks with panel-ready Bosch DW to confirm that theirs don't stick out like a sore thumb. I still wonder if we are ever going to get it truly flush with the cabinets though. The specs say its 23.81" deep and the wood panel is 3/4" thick, so it's going to stand proud no matter what. I just wish Bosch didn't make the DW so deep and left more wiggle room. Maybe that is an issue with all USA made DW though. None of them are much more shallow than the model we bought.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Can someone please clarify this point......does the Bosch sit flush with inset or not. I am about ready to order my cabinets and am planning on the Bosch 800.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

It depends on whether the unit is a European style or an American style Bosch.

Mieles are usually 22 7
    /16” deep. The Bosch European versions which I believe the 800 series is part of are also shallower (seems to be 23 1/16).

Bossmd, which Bosch do you have?

Wendy,

The truly integrated Bosch are fine with inset cabinets and sit flush. Not sure about the new benchmark series but I believe the 800 series is fine.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Thank you, Homepro.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

My Bosch with panel is flush with my [non-inset] full overlay frameless standard 24" depth cabinets. This picture is with the wrong panel (it had to be re-ordered) but you can see that it's flush.

• motherwallace
    8 years ago

I have 2 Bosch dishwashers and they both sit flush. I'm not sure my panel is a full 3/4". It may be 1/2".

• badgergal
    8 years ago

Just measured the wood panel on my Bosch DW and it is 3/4". The cabinet depth is 24" and the dishwasher is flush with the other cabinets. I have an outlet on the backside of the island behind the dishwasher and the electrician did have to use a shallow depth outlet box I order for that to fit.

• bossmd
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok I think then we definitely did something wrong with the installation then. Now the hard part is getting my grumpy husband to do it all over again. And I have the 300 series Bosch for those of you wondering.
  • PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

Definitely installed wrong. Bosch will sit flush with all 24" deep cabinets.

• agk2003
    8 years ago

Ours stuck out until we realized all the hoses were bunched up back there. The dishwasher is right next to our sink base and the hoses came through the sink base cabinet so we just pushed them back through the hole into the sink cabinet. Sits totally flush now.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

I'll ask my appliance contact tomorrow. We were talking just a couple days ago and I swear she mentioned something about Bosch dishwashers.....design changes with them being deeper than they used to be. I'll call her back and get more info.

bossmd thanked The Kitchen Place
  • lunarlab
    8 years ago

We installed the 800 in November. It sits flush. The hoses are coiled on the back for shipping but should not be installed that way.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

I think they are slightly deeper but that should not make a difference. The hoses are indeed supposed to be uncoiled. We have the newer 300 and it is flush in a 24" cabinet.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

It can make a difference if you have inset cabinets. Did she say?

• scrappy25
    8 years ago

OK Lunarlab, you cannot post just one glimpse of your beautiful QS oak kitchen! We want more!

On topic- I have a Bosch 800 paneled dw flush with inset cabinets also.

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

I was thinking the same thing scrappy25!

• lunarlab
    8 years ago

I will try to post the whole thing tonight. We just finished, it's all done and I'm cooking again! We completely gutted the whole kitchen so it was a big project.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Lunarlabs kitchen...my hearts a thumpin. Gorgeous.

• bossmd
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That really is a pretty kitchen. So I'm thinking that my husband left the hoses coiled and double looped like they were when they shipped. I also think the length of hose is way longer than what we need. Does anyone know if you can reduce the drainage hose length? When the panel finally arrives, we are going to pull the DW out again and uncoil the hose, and hopefully shorten it so we can get rid of all that extra length that is getting crammed behind DW and the adjacent cabinet.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

You should not be using the dishwasher with the hoses coiled. The pump may become damaged. I don't believe you can reduce the hoses but check with the Bosch installation. I know in the Miele the hose is linked to a flood guard feature and cannot be reduced.

• shaggydogs
    8 years ago

Another Bosch 800 panel ready owner. I installed it myself with no help from DH. It's perfectly flush. The hose is packed for shipping. Mine had a yellow plastic piece that held it into place and the directions say it can be used inside the cabinet to secure the hose to the cabinet wall. You'll need to uncoil the hose and follow directions.

• marcopolo5
    8 years ago

I have the panel ready Bosch and it fits perfectly in line. A great dishwasher, cleans huge loads without a speck left on anything. And you never hear it.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

It's an installation issue. It is installed differently than your old KA. Left as is you will soon develop a stinky issue. The unit cannot drain properly with the loop or left as it is now installed. It's a pet peeve for my plumber. He says no one ever reads the instructions. Rather than fight with your husband, call the plumber and get him to install it properly. It will fit flush once you get the hose installed properly.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

RTFM; Read the manual.

Casey

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

I spoke with my appliance contact today. She said that all of Bosch's newer models are deeper now. So for people wanting a panel ready dishwasher with inset cabinetry, it appears you won't be able to go with Bosch. I have an inset client that had to switch to either stainless steel Bosch or go with Asko or Miele if she wanted an integrated panel. I find this really hard to believe that Bosch would do this (even on their 800 series?)....does anyone know if my appliance contact is incorrect on this? Or maybe I misunderstood what she said.

If any of you are getting inset cabinets....please pay careful attention to the specs.

Wendy, I hope you see this.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

I just had a Bosch Benchmark panel ready dishwasher installed and it sits flush with with my inset cabinets! The depth is listed at 23 1/16". Let me see if I can attach a pic....

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

Looks great pride. She kept insisting so glad they still have them shallow enough in the Benchmark series.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Prideofowner - gorgeous countertop (and cabinets). What kind if stone?

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

Romy, thank you! It is Taj Mahal quartzite, and we are loving it so far! :-)

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Prideofowner...love your cabinets. May I ask the brand, door style, and color please? TY. Also, love your counter.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

Hi Red, they are Shiloh, square flat panel (I think), in soft white. I know Shiloh's received some negative feedback on here in the past year, but we couldn't be happier...the finish on our cabinets is flawless and the construction seems quite good. Very pleased so far!

• salex
    8 years ago

Add me to the list of people with an 800-series panel-ready Bosch that fits perfectly. I actually have partial-overlay doors, not inset, but the front of my 3/4" panel is flush with the face frames - which is exactly the depth that equivalent inset cabinets would be. And yes, the high loop should be in the sink cabinet.

Regarding any recent changes in the depth of Bosch panel-ready DWs, mine is less than 2 years old, FWIW.

• nancyjwb
    8 years ago

I just checked the spec sheets of all of the panel ready dishwashers on the US Bosch site- they are all 23 1/16 or shallower. With a standard 3/4" panel, that leaves 3/16 extra in the back. Am I thinking of this correctly?Also, prideofowners is 23 1/16 and fits flush, they all should right? I am curious what issue kompys appliance person is referring to.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Bash the drywall. We won't tell.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

I just wanted to give a quick update with info I received from Kitchen shop, our appliance person, and Bosch. This dishwasher is designed for inset adjustments, Bosch 800 Series SHV68TL3UC.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

Joe, we call that "tenderizing" drywall, not bashing. ;)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I stand corrected. Thanks.

• wacokid
    8 years ago

You wrote: So when we first unpacked the DW, the drainage hose was looped twice up the back and held in place with this plastic device, so we left it that way

The reason for the drainage hose loop is so water does not drain back into the unit after exiting the dw. You do not have to use an air gap this way. My unit was like this, it is a KitchenAid, but the loop was on the side of the unit.

I am not a plumber, so if you remove the loop, you may have to have add an air gap in the line. Check with a good plumber.

• Ben Hart
    8 years ago
    1. A panel front dishwasher DOES NOT sit 2" out from the cabinets. That is not normal. Period. I'd be mad if it sat 1/8" out from the cabinets.
    2. I have a panel front Bosch and inset cabinets. My dishwasher sits perfectly flush with the cabinet faces. That is the way they are designed the be installed.
    3. The hose is your problem. You have to pull the DW back out and pull the hose into the cabinet under the sink as someone else pushes it back in. Do this and you will have plenty of room for both the DW and the panel front.
    4. Spend some time getting the panel to sit flush, level, square, and with an even reveal (gap around the sides of the panel). There are feet you can adjust on the front, and a screw in the front center that adjusts the back leg. Once you have that, install your brackets to hold it in place.
    5. If the job is too much for you or your husband, have a pro do it. You'll both be happy you did.
  • Ben Hart
    8 years ago

DO NOT CUT THE HOSE.

In the manual you will read that the extra length is used as a p-trap/flood prevention feature. It needs to have one loop coiled up in your sink cabinet with the highest point above a mark on your DW. If you don't do that, you run the risk of flooding your house and causing a HUGE amount of damage.

• Maryna
    5 years ago

prideofowner ,

I know this is an old thread but maybe you still monitor comments.

How in the world you installed your integrated panel which consists of 3 pieces: frame, top drawer front and bottom door front ?

Do you have thin playwood between your frame and dishwasher which connects all 3 pieces together ? but if you do - then do you see it when you open dishwasher?

I made a mistake of not reading too closely to the installation guide and ordered 3 pieces. =( but the manual only talks about mounting either 1 or 2 pieces.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hey,

I used my router and a 3/4" diameter straight bit to make a 1/4" deep rabbet on the backs of both the door and drawer face, then used a scrap of matching wood, oak in my case, about 1 1/2 wide to fill that rabbet and bridge the two sections, with the appropriate space in between them.

I did not rout all the way through, so that the end grain of the strip was not visible on the side view.

This pic is not the best, but it shows the little filler I'm talking about.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    5 years ago

Sorry, Maryna, I just saw your question! Our dishwasher panel came from Shiloh with all the pieces already attached to one another with recessed brackets on the backside. Hope this helps!

• HU-805902377
    4 years ago

Won't sit flush as well dishwasher came with an electric plug.. unfortunately added an extra inch to the