Software
Houzz Logo Print
christiroberson

Marble or soapstone kitchen counters?

10 years ago

I'm trying to make up my mind on counter materials. We're going with finished concrete floors and white oak cabinets with a contemporary to modern leaning design.


My personal pros and cons for marble:

Pros: Looks gorgeous. Great for baking.

Cons: etching from acids and staining. While I trust myself to take good care of my counter and feel I can tolerate a normal patina developing, we get very frequent guests and knowing what guests have done to my cookware over the years does not inspire confidence that a marble counter would escape unscathed.


And for soapstone:

Pros: Also beautiful. Impervious to acids. Oil finishing hides scratches.

Cons: Soft and can scratch/chip. Harder ones are downright black once oil treated. Options are making my head spin. Want one that's adequately hard, not green toned, and ideally grey not black once oil treated.


Any input on additional pros/cons that I haven't considered and long term wear for either material would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)