Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_hardin

Should I paint library paneling

13 years ago
We are buying a city home in Pittsburgh, built in 1913. The dining room has a beautifully detailed ceiling, and the room has paneled walls 3/4 of the way up. Although their is a large window in the room, it feels very dark. Would it be a big mistake to paint the wood white? Thanks!!

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    Picture would help but I'm afraid I will always lean toward keeping the wood. I would make sure window coverings interfere as little as possible. What direction does the window face?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with the other comments. If the panelling dates back to 1913 - you are messing with an antique. If we can help you work with it please put photos because what a pity to lose something that has aged and survived 100 years
  • 13 years ago
    It sounds like a very historical home. Paneling from long ago is usually well made and adds visual interest. So, unless it was paneling added from a big box store in the 60's or 70's, I would say to keep it. As others have said, you can light it or hang wall art. Keep the rest of the wall and ceiling light. Would love to see pictures.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would definitely keep the wood, it adds architectural interest and character in the home. I would leave the wood the way it is and paint the upper half of the wall, drywall portion, a light colour. You could also brighten the room by adding colour somewhere like drapery or artwork.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like all the posts above! Save the history and keep the paneling!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone. I will try to get a pic up ASAP. My gut told me not to paint it, all great suggestions about lighting up the room.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- I don't see anything wrong with painting the paneling, it doesn't make the paneling disappear , it will actually perserves it . Although you could explore other ways of lightening the space first sure . But really - it's no big deal to paint . This is for you and what you want and in the future if someone else lives there and wants the wood look back , then that is their choice and that can be done . There are great products now for that. It's done all the time . Paint away Kim !
  • 13 years ago
    So much easier to only have to paint half of a room every time too! I would have the wood stripped down if need be and refinish it lighter at the very most. But if it were my home, I would probably leave it. Good luck in your new home! We vist Pittsburgh quite often. "America's most liveable city!"
  • 13 years ago
    ...would love to see photos also!
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a pic of the ceiling/paneling...
  • 13 years ago
    Gosh, I would never paint that paneling....just pick a beautiful color for the upper part of the wall
  • 13 years ago
    I am not an expert in this subject. maybe the wood or the finish on the wood has gotten dirty & darker with age. My uncle stripped the wood on the stairway of their old house and re-stained in a lighter color. Also my MIL gave us a chair that was varnished and black from age. It was beautiful after we stripped it.

    So you might want to consider stripping and refinishing the paneling if no one has done that. I would not paint it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you decide to keep the paneling, I would paint that door frame - it sees so large, and really takes away from the absolutely beautiful ceiling! Soft buttery gold would warm up the paneling - something like Ben Moore 186 (Harvest Time) would add a lovely depth to the room - white is so harsh. Also a softer white on the trim & ceiling like Navajo White further enhance the details. All of these colors would also make the painted cabinets in the Kitchen (or is it a butlers pantry?) look great. Good luck!
    P.S. - I'm usually quick to paint the wood, but yours is lovely - it probably could be made somewhat softer by refinishing - the old varnishes tended to yellow & darken with age where new polys do not.
  • 9 years ago
    It looks like the wall was moved over because part of the doorframe is missing. I say paint it if you wish. It's your home now and if you do sell in the future the new owners want can strip it back. The home should reflect your taste. It's not as though you're removing it. It really looks like a beautiful home. Good luck!