Software
Houzz Logo Print
millielove

Buying furniture is scary!

10 years ago

Is spending $3700 on a sectional sofa insane? I'm about to make the purchase but am a little nervous about it. Yes, I can afford it, but still... that's a lot of money! Tell me this is normal... Also, blue is better than beige, right?! ;)

Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    individual pieces are more versatile than a sectional.... how about a couch and a pair of co ordinating (not matching) chairs.... then you can move them around the space, use them in future rooms and houses. recover one of them...slipcover the couch... all you can do with a sectional is move it to the basement after one section is stained beyond repair.

    end the sectional tyranny.

  • 10 years ago

    I felt the same way when I bought mine. It's a lot. But it's not out of line for a good sectional. If you have a vision for your room and you can afford it, why not?

    Two schools of thought on color. Many say make your big pieces neutral because they will last through fads and taste changes. Many others say, if you like blue, have blue!

    I had a mauve sofa for several years. Not everyone's choice, but I loved it and it worked in my room.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I agree about the sectional. No it's not a lot of money for a big sectional, but put that money into pieces that can be more functional.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I have to agree. A few individual pieces is worth the investment but once a sectional is stained for your tired of it, there's nothing you can really do.

  • 10 years ago

    Following all of those here who totally contradicted my advice (and I AM joking), if you get a sofa and two chairs, you can have both brown and blue. A brown sofa with coordinating chairs in a blue print or stripe would be really nice.

  • 10 years ago
    Hello.. It's a good point, individual seating sometimes works better, but sectionals are sometimes quite space efficient, and depending on the room as a whole, can look great.
    As to pricing, quality, style, materials etc all affect it, and I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion, but if you think it will be a long lasting investment as it should, go for it.
    I assume you've decided on blue? What shade of blue is it? are you likely to want to change your decor drastically? If you aren't, I think a colour sectional can make a great statement, and can be fun to decorate around/with. Sometimes you've just got to take a leap, and see where you land :)
  • 10 years ago


    My TV room. So y'all know where I'm coming from. LOL

  • 10 years ago

    My living room is a weird space. I feel like a sectional fits the room best. I am 95% sure about the blue. It's a navy, microfiber velvet. Sounds crazy, but I've been mulling over it for about a year (I have another post about the color and that helped me to decide YES for blue). The space needs some color, and we're young so I thought now should be the time to play with a little color. I'll try to attach some panoramic pics so you can get a better idea of the space. Please forgive the mess and lack of decor. I have three little kids...


  • 10 years ago

    pull

    the

    trigger!

  • 10 years ago

    Your jittery nerves may be because a sectional is not the right choice for your family or the space. Sectionals tend to call for very large regularly-shaped rooms, as they are difficult to arrange in any other situation, and they are very inflexible when occasion (a mob for Thanksgiving) or family changes. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago

    OR - sectionals also work in smallish rooms where they provide a clean look as opposed to several pieces. :)

  • 10 years ago

    Actually, the blue microfiber will be very nice. It will hold up great to kids, dogs, and husbands! It will also be easy to decorate around as it will be an easy color to work with. Thinking about your sectional, how many do you need to sit? Is it a lounging couch, cuddling couch, or geusts only seating? Since there are 5 of you, you may want to consider placing it starting by the post(right arm sitting sofa, a corner, armless sofa under the window, and then a chaise at the end by the fireplace. With a sectional you really need to know your dimensions. Blue painters tape on the floor where it will go is very helpful. Then you can visualize it and walk around it. If you go too small, it won't seat you all, If you go to big, it becomes an elephant. You want it to be fairly deep for comfort but not so deep you can't get out of it. Your store should be able to help you map it out. Make sure you ask for connectors as they don't come with the sectional. I think you have enough space there. If no room for a chaise, the armless sofa is now a left arm sitting sofa. (Ask how the particular sofa is designed so they make it right the first time. Sectionals are tricky! ) Good luck!


  • 10 years ago

    Also, bring a picture of your room's floor plan with exact measurements. The sofa store people can make sure you buy something that fits.

  • 10 years ago

    We would mostly use it for lounging, watching movies, entertaining friends. The one I have my eye on is the Crate and Barrel Lounge. The current sofa we have is the same one, just lighter color, so I know how it holds up to kids and it cleans very easily.

  • 10 years ago

    I LOVE that couch!!! Go for it!