Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vintagekeo

IKEA Kitchen Review: 6+ years in - good & bad, plus input needed

Katherine
8 years ago

Bought a '77 house with an original kitchen spring of 2009. Here's what it looked like:

Installed a mostly-IKEA kitchen Fall 2009. Have been happy with the cabinetry, not so much with the rest. Scan down for specifics and to the bottom for my latest problem and advice needed. Thank you and would love to answer any questions.

Here it is in Jan '10, shortly after installation, with all the IKEA pieces working. (We waited from Thanksgiving through New Year's for the replacement oven on the left!)

Appliances - used three IKEA by Whirlpool appliances: range hood, gas cooktop and 24" electric oven. Originally-purchased oven never worked and had a 3 mo. epic battle getting another one. All 3 appliances have been so-so in quality and performance.

Faucet - their Ringskar model failed in less than 2 years (the lever that adjusts hot/cold fatigued and could not be repaired). They replaced it under warranty, but why would I put in another one with the same design flaw? Replaced with a similar-looking but much higher quality Cifial model from Portugal.

Fittings - most of the pieces that fit in the cabinets have worked well and held up. Also love that wooden cart in the center. Be careful buying their hardware though. Our Hedra knobs turned out to be anthracite-colored paint on aluminum, which wore off quickly on frequently-used locations. Replaced all with repro vintage ruby red glass at about 5 years. Saved the old knobs -- the rest of the paint could be removed and one would have a great set of silver knobs, but that would be a lot of work.

Sink - those Domsjo ceramic sinks look great, but mine has not held up to hard use (I cook a lot). The right bowl developed a 4" double hairline crack about a year ago. I've covered it with mats for now, since the thing isn't leaking. The surface of the sink is wearing badly, too. Plus, the thing requires constant cleaning with our lousy FL water --it has a "drainboard" at the back where the faucet is, which is constantly covered with water.

Photo taken soon after cracks appeared - now looks more obvious, as it is stained.

The sink is warrantied for 15 years, so I can get another one. But to do so, I have to pay someone to remove the one above, take it to IKEA and hope they have the sink in stock. (High demand item!)

Even though the sink is going to be even more expensive to replace with something else, I am going that route instead. The reason it will be so hard: this is a 36" sink that covers the entire cabinet, to the back splash. My carpenter (and thank heaven I have a good one) will have to rebuild (or possibly replace) the cabinet to hold the new sink, then I'll have to try and get new counter to fit in with my existing Caesarstone counter. (Love it - not IKEA purchased or installed, though.)

I am looking at a Blanco Siligranit Super Single in metallic silver, and then a grey Caesarstone to blend with the existing Raven counter and white marble backsplash. None of this will be cheap or easy. All input welcome at this stage, as no decisions are made yet.

I'll end on a happier note, with a photo of my favorite part of the kitchen. When we bought the house, it had an ugly skylight near the sink, since there is no kitchen window. This was a piece of translucent plastic held up by a trim strip. My carpenter opened it up, dry-walled it and painted it to match the interior of my open cabinets. Now I love to look up at my sycamore's branches. Proof that a negative for a home shopper can turn into a major positive with the right help.

Comments (15)

• wacokid
    8 years ago

No help, just some pity. Good luck....

• Bev
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad luck! I hope you get everything ironed out.

• Katherine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm a new poster to this site, although I've been reading it for years and learning lots. (How I found the Cifial faucet, for example.) You folks are wonderful on almost any topic!

I stand by my recommendation on the cabinets. They are well designed and feature quality materials. I remodeled another kitchen five years earlier with Kraftmaid, which were not nearly as good.

Thanks for the warning on the sink color. I did visit a local Blanco dealer yesterday. The salesperson knew nothing -- not even which color was which on the display models. But I did see the metallic silver and agree it's awfully sparkly. I need to get samples from Blanco and take them to my counter folks to see what will work best.

And yes, I had read the posts with the dire warnings about damage in shipping. I hope to have it shipped directly to my carpenter so he can inspect and return before we even think about scheduling the install.

• PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    8 years ago

I have used Ikea kitchen cabinets on a couple of projects and have been happy with them. But I have never purchased any appliances, sinks, or faucets from them. I never thought they had the quality and I see that has been confirmed.

I have always said Ikea is great for some things, but others are, you get what you pay for and you end up having to replace it.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

We bought a fridge from Ikea last fall to replace an old one in an old school office. The school has a small budget and they also rent the building.

Ikea was the only place that had a fridge to fit a weird measurement for a reasonable cost. So far so good. It has taken abuse from staff forgetting to clean it, kids forgetting to shut it, and the usual day-to-day rucus of use in a busy place.

We bought it knowing it would likely only last a few years, but if it lasted longer, great! Either way it's okay.

My husband and I (as usual, lol), loaded it up with a bit of help from the Ikea crew--we bought it from the store--but we (as usual, again), unloaded it by ourselves, and my crazy husband (as usual) took it in by himself on a hand-truck. (Someone had to hold the door open as he went through and someone else pulled from the other side. The door is super narrow.)

We are always doing stuff like that. And it's really hard to get people to help at times. Funny how a lot of "muscles" leave as soon as we mention moving something...

Would I buy Ikea appliances for our home? Not a chance.

Would I buy their cabinets? It's model and style specific, and probably for a rental unit only. Our home? Highly unlikely. Although they have a few styles that would be great for a laundry room.

We bought a tall narrow cabinet from there as it was the only one (again) that fit such a weird space.

The crazy builders apparently don't think laundry rooms rate anymore. They just shoved a washer and dryer in a closet and call it a laundry "room," lol.

First off, I loathe having a w and d in a closet. It is a pain for folding clothes and storing things. We improved the situation by taking out the stupid wire builder's shelf and stacking the w/d. Then we found a cabinet with a laundry sink in it and added an over sink cabinet from Ikea (that also fit our weird space). Then came the folding dryer rack that we screwed to the wall.

Voila! A clever re-make of a builder's design.

If we ever renovate down the road (quite possible if we finish the basement), then I'm adding a full and giant laundry/mudroom/shower/utility room/storage area.

No more of this closet laundry nonsense. That, and our pantry are the two biggest flaws in the design.

• Katherine
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update on my IKEA DOMSJO sink issue. I had my wonderful countertop company install additional counter plus a new Blanco Siligranit one & three-quarter bowl with low-divide in Cinder. This color is a close match to my Raven Caesarstone. I would really have preferred to go with a light sink and surround, but both the owner of the counter company and a friend who cleans professionally for a living strongly urged me to go dark. It's a big visual adjustment from the huge white IKEA one, but does look good.

The next week, I returned the cracked sink to IKEA and was given a replacement. I was then sent up to Kitchens to talk with a rep about how to make it fit. I have the discontinued "Akurum" cabinetry. They have changed the sink to accommodate the new "Sektion" system. In order to install it I'd need new doors and a fill piece, at my own expense.

Here's a better view of the new sink, which required no new doors or fill pieces:

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Nice sink, and I like the grey better. I guess you can sell the replacement sink they gave you on Craigslist?

:-)

• bouncy5
    7 years ago
    You could return the sink you got on the trade in for a store credit and get something you can use. I have had my ikea kitchen cabinets for about 3 years and am very happy with them . I am so thankful I only purchased the cabinets. I like you new sink.
  • Katherine
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello from the original author of the post. A quick update from IKEA Kitchen World. The new sink is wonderful and I've gotten used to the dark color, although I still don't like it.

A friend needs to replace his (1965 Westinghouse) wall oven. I looked into taking out my much-hated IKEA by Whirlpool one and replacing it with a Miele. The cost and complexity of the switch have made me give up that idea, at least for now. Ironically, the oven light burned soon after I made that decision. It requires an expensive replacement bulb. I was sure the oven would fail before that happened. Now I'll have to keep the dreadful thing years longer to justify the bulb investment!

I need to start a new discussion on kitchen floors. I love the looks and softness of my cork floor, but after eight years it is pretty well shot. It didn't come from IKEA, though, so not applicable to this discussion.

• kmkane123
    6 years ago
    Did you end up getting the Blanco silgranite sink? I hope it works out for you. Mine chipped after one day and after two months developed an 8 inch crack That leaked. As for floors, I've always had hardwood. And have not had a problem but most people are afraid of wood in the kitchen. I am not. You might want to look into vinyl planks. I have them on one entire floor in my house and really like them. They would be perfect for a kitchen, because They don't absorb water and they are easily replaceable
  • Katherine
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I got the sink. Scroll down through earlier comments to see a couple photos. I've been super pleased. Easy installation, no cracks (many warned me of them). Easy to keep looking nice, compared to the IKEA monster.

Your floor questions are uncanny. My carpenter suggested the vinyl planks. The rest of our house is oak with cherry accents. I'd love to extend the oak into the kitchen, and should have when we did the remodel. Now, it just won't work. Who wants an expensive kitchen floor that only goes up to the cabinets? I'm going to talk with my carpenter about refinishing the cork, but I'm not hopeful.

• Sheila Beers
    last year

I do love the improved arrangement of the kitchen sink wall as shown in the second photo from the top It is a shame you are dealing with disappointment with the appliances, but I wish you the best in correcting the problems.

• Katherine
    Original Author
    last year

Sheila, thanks for reading at this late date. All's going pretty well. Gas cooktop and oven still working, exhaust fan is iffy but working. Am on my 4th faucet in 13 years (latest is a Delta). Six-year-old Miele dishwasher just broke and was very expensive to repair. It seems the better solution these days is to buy cheaper stuff and replace when it breaks, which irks me. Am getting ready to get a quote from IKEA on their new Sektion kitchen cabinetry for our garage. We'll see how they compete with online sources for such stuff.

• colle
    last year

I have almost 20 year old IKEA Akurum kitchen and love it.

I only wished they had soft-close buffers when we bought ours. Soft-close feature was available later for Akurum, but they didn't fit the older blum hinges.