0

After the Rain....

Our gardens have a pristine look after the rain, specially in hot dry climates. This thread is dedicated to photos of our roses and gardens after the rain....

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

I can't wait for all your roses to start blooming Khalid!

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked jessjennings0 zone 10b
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b

I will keep checking regularly... this forum and all of you wonderful people make me so happy and I'm so grateful for that...to be part of this and experience your wonderful worlds and roses....it's such a blessing :-)

• strawchicago

Jess: Always good to hear from a wonderful & cheerful spirit like yours. I'm very happy ever since you and Khalid are in this forum.

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked strawchicago
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b

There is of course this one rose that I'm (impatiently) waiting to start blooming, to hear your comments...Belle Epoque...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

I am a different person since I joined this forum Straw :-)

I have the best friends, who are all such lovely souls and beings, people I love and respect and learn from, and always looking forward to read every word you say...

and there is no such place as 'far away' ....

(that's a quote from Richard Bach...)

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Jess wrote: "and there is no such place as 'far away' ...."

How true Jess.

My Belle Epoque is doing well. It is still a small bush but is growing very well. Just checked today and it has a bud too. Fingers crossed.

• rosecanadian

My broken arm has healed! It's been 3 1/2 weeks. It's still sore, and I need to do some exercises - but yay!!!

Khalid - I'm looking forward to seeing your Belle Epoque. I just love the name.

Jess - I like that quote!!

Carol

Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb) thanked rosecanadian
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b

I'm so happy for you and glad that your arm is healed Carol! Just in time for your spring rose garden :-)))

I'm holding thumbs for Belle Epoque Khalid.

I quickly checked what that name means: (that must have been such a special era to be alive)

The Belle Époque or La Belle Époque French for "Beautiful Era") was a period of Western European history. It is conventionally dated from the end of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871 to the outbreak of World War I in around 1914, it was a period characterized by optimism, regional peace, economic prosperity and technological, scientific and cultural innovations. In the climate of the period, especially in Paris, the arts flourished. Many masterpieces of literature, music, theater, and visual art gained recognition. The Belle Époque was named, in retrospect, when it began to be considered a "golden age" in contrast to the horrors of World War I.

• strawchicago

Carol: Glad to hear that your arm healed, and I'm praying for Jess to be 100% healthy with her back.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

thank you Straw, you are a blessing in my life, and in so many other's lives, also your family....

• rosecanadian

Jess, my daughter is a history student. The Belle Epoque is her favorite period. :) I've always thought that Belle Epoque would be a gread name for a horse.

Thanks for the good wishes. As you can see, I'm back to using capitals. :) My wrist is still sore - but I'm definitely on the mend.

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: I am so glad to know that your arm has healed. I wish you good health and peace of heart. My Belle Epoque is still young but it is growing rapidly. I can see a bud too which might bloom in 8-10 days or less. I am also eagerly waiting for it to bloom. Seeing it grow in Jess garden is such a good sight... would love to see it blooming in my garden too.

Jess: Thanks for history on Belle Epoque. Now I value it even more....

It hasn't rained since two weeks in Islamabad so I haven't been able to post more pics in this thread. It's cloudy tonight....

best regards

• rosecanadian

Thanks Khalid. I wish the same to you (and to everyone else too).

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

And it rained today.... took a few snaps.

Everything looked so clean

Benjamin Britten looked so neat after the rain. Lot of buds.

Lot of buds on Julia Child. This is the third day bloom. Was deeper yellow on first day. Fragrance is like 4.5 to 6 / 10 during different times.

Large size blooms on my Teasing Georgia with a very nice tea scent that ranges from 4 to 6 / 10 during different times.

This rose needs quite some space and even in a pot, is growing big. Shifted it under a tree in the lawn, where it will get 3-4 hrs sun.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Few more clicks after the rain....

Oh wow... this cluster of Gruss an Teplitz... simply amazing. At one time I had 46 blooms opened up at one time.... what more one could expect from a rose.

• rosecanadian

Oooh!!! Just gorgeous Khalid!!!

I think the last one is my favorite!!

Carol

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

Your roses brought a deep sigh of happiness Khalid.

I love them, your Teasing Georgia is so beautiful, and Gruss an Teplitz...all of them, your Scentimental and Black Prince...with those yellow Lilliums in between...you have a garden from heaven....thanks so much for sharing them with us...

I think I must get Burgundy Iceberg as well... :-) there are so many of your roses that I would love to have in my garden... yours are so beautiful and with so many blooms....

• strawchicago

Wow on Gruss !! Teasing Georgia has so many blooms, and your foliage is perfect. So many buds .. Great show !!

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

It rained whole night and in the morning, what I saw was a bit of depleted garden. So many petals everywhere in the beds, on the floor, everywhere. Fresh blooms and half opened buds were there but were heavy with water.... And then the clouds suddenly disappeared and early morning sun brought a new life to the place.

Bushes were a bit shattered but that's part of life. Most blooms were drooping down due to weight.

Under this tree, which will grow bigger in summers and will provide them early morning sun but shade during afternoon. There are five large size bushes placed in 18" pots under the tree. St Swithen, Teasing Georgia, Gentle Hermione, William Morris (my own home grown cutting from last year, now quite big) and Nahema. Wall is closeby so I can anchor the long shoots with the wall and also on the tree. Hope it works.
    Sharifa Asma looked particularly depleted. But it will rebloom in few days I know.

When I came back in the evening, saw most of the bloom had scorched. It's not hot at all, around 22*C but many blooms had scorched badly. Cut all of them and they went back to rose bed and pots where they will decompose. All blooms from a bush, less those taken for bouquet and tea, will go back to the same bush.

• strawchicago

Beautiful pictures !! Praise God for such wonderful creations for us to enjoy. You have the perfect soil and climate for roses ... I wish my Sharifa Asma have that many blooms. I think you have the ideal root-stock too, Centifolia is very drought-tolerant, and healthier than our Dr.Huey rootstock.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Straw: I agree with you. Centifolia is a very good root stock for Islamabad area. I am not sure how good it is in our colder regions where temperatures go down to -15 to -20 in winters. BTW, in my personal grading, Rosa centifolia that we have here (we have the old one that you see in ancient patings), is perhaps more fragrant, more hardy and more beautiful than 70% of the roses that are grafted on it. In fragrance, perhaps there would be very few that would surpass the intensity of centifolia fragrance.

As you know centifolia roots don't go deep, they spread laterally. I think it is able to extract more from the top soil as compared to other roses that have deeper roots. However, at the same time it sends lot of suckers and some of them sprout 1 ft away from the bush.

Today, the temp suddenly shot up and reached 31*C. When I came back from office, so many blooms had just fried up as I had not watered the roses in pots in past two days. In summers I will have to water my roses in pots every day, specially those that are in sun. The affect is multiplies in my car porch and entrance area which is made of concrete. That place gets very hot but that is the area where most people come. I think I will have to shift many of my roses in the different corners of my lawn where they are on grass / soil and not on concrete. Roses in ground are mostly ok.

• strawchicago

There's a shade-cloth that local nursery uses for the summer: it's like a black veil which filters out strong sun, but let day-light in. Roses in that nursery have way-more blooms than other nursery. Plus the leaves are lush & and the temp. inside that nursery is much cooler, thanks to the shade cloth (black veil), see pic. below:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/60-percent-black-shade-cloth/shade-cloth_1

• rosecanadian

Khalid - your roses look gorgeous!!! I especially love the first two garden pictures! Ooh la la - c'est tres belle!!!! Of your single roses Signature and Crimson Glory scream at me - "buy me. buy me!!"

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Straw: Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking the same. We commonly have green cloth available here. Haven't seen black but check it out.

Jess: Yes, Crimson Glory has stunning fragrance and it is more fragrant in warmer areas. Will suite your garden and you would love its spicy damask fragrance .

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

I think Doris Tysterman stole my heart. She and Crimson Glory and ...all of them... Needless to say, most of your lovely roses, including Doris, are not available here....that rose glows.... is she fragrant as well Khalid?

thank you for sharing these lovely roses in your beautiful garden with us....it always makes me smile... :-)

Do you have wild birds singing for you and your roses Khalid?

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Jess: Dorris Tysterman has moderate fragrance. In winters it is fairly strong, like 6/10 but in summers it stays like 2 to 4 / 10

And yes the birds do come.... they are more early morning. What a lovely sight

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Had good rain last night.... in the morning lot petals spread around but whatever was left, looked beautiful. Few pics....

I liked this photo the best. And love this rose...

• rosecanadian

Lovely!!! Your The McCartney Rose roses are so beautiful, but yes!!! I really, really love your Black Prince. Who hybridized that?

Carol

• strawchicago

Khalid: You fed your roses well .. that's the most petals ever on The Prince (such pretty color !!) and so many blooms of The McCartney rose. I wish I could smell both.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: Black Prince is a Hybrid Perpetual Bred somewhere in 1860s.

Straw: Yes. Blooms are big with lot of petals but fragrance is far less than what it used to be in Nov / Dec. And I am fed up of mildew. Quite a few bushes affected now. I think excessive use of gypsum has not gone well. I wonder how much more time it will take to bleach the effect of gypsum. I am now hesitant of using wood ash too because it is also Calcium plus salts. However wood ash does have K plus trace elements as well. Still trying to fight out mildew

• rosecanadian

Oh, I didn't know that. How interesting! What an unusually lovely color for back then.

Darn, I bought a few bags of gypsum.

My roses are outside of the garage now!! They're soaking up the sun!

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: Gypsum is still useful during the summer when there's zero rain, and one uses alkaline tap water. Gypsum with 17% sulfur brings down the pH of tap-water to that of rain-water. Plus gypsum is useful in hot & dry weather to de-salt the accumulated salt in pots. Gypsum is used in saline soil to flush out the salt.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Thanks Straw. There is a big lesson for in what you have written above. There are no constant goods or bads in organic gardening. We have to use things as per their requirement and we have to understand "what is the requirement".

PS: BTW, just realised that same principle can be applied on our lives too.....

• rosecanadian

Okay....in another post I asked you for help on our tap water. So I'm sure you'll bring more clarity there as to whether I have alkaline tap water or not. Yes, rain water pH is better...I never thought there was a way to improve that.

Carol :)

• strawchicago

Came back to this thread to admire Khalid's super-healthy roses in pots. Really like the deep green leaves of The McCartney rose and its vibrant color. Khalid: would you rate that rose as #1 fragrance in your garden? How does the scent compared to Frederic Mistral? Does the McCartney rose make good cut flower? Thanks.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Just forgot about this thread which is so pleasing in so many ways. It rained last night. Few pics taken early morning....

Nice fragrance on Casino early morning....

Almost behaving like a single flower but so many blooms.

Friesia had nice fragrance too.

The best fragrance today...

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Few more....

My Portulaca giving low lying colour in the rose beds. Few odd Lilium still sprouting and blooming. This is the second time they are blooming this season. First time it was in Mar.

• strawchicago

That Portulaca is very nice .. nicer than our creeping geranium (too many leaves, and fewer blooms). Went through your pics. again, your The Prince is very nice with lots of petals, same with Lady Emma Hamilton's rich-orange color. Do you notice that yellow and orange require more water than normal? When I first bought Golden Cel., the nursery stated that it needs daily-watering to get established. Then my Bronze Star (orange) died on that dry hill through the winter.

I bought Strike it Rich (orange-yellow) this year, and that has vicious thorn .. my preference is Bronze Star, but don't want to lose it again through winter.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b

How lovely this rain must have been after the immense heat you had for such a long time Khalid... your roses are loving it...and oh wow, you have so many lovely roses. Scentimental always catches my eye...even without the white stripes and dots...

and Tipu Sultan, Bronze Star, La France, Secret, the Black Prince...so stunning...there are too many to mention here...

I have planted a few lillies at last, but there was no scented varieties available :-(

and yes Straw I also think the Portulaca is very pretty. never seen one like that.

as far as my orange roses go Straw, Easy Does It is okay with much less water than many others... but Pat Austin was a terrible water hog. I'm thinking of planting another orange rose...

has anyone grown this rose before?

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3182.0

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Jess: Harmione looks so nice but I have never seen it growing.... shade looks great.

Portulaca is such a great plant to grow. One can just multiply it without a problem. Just pluck a shoot and put it in the ground. In one week, you will have a good plant with lots of blooms. It looks like magic. I have todays added 4 more colours. Just broke a few shoots outside a house in the street and here you go. No body minds plucking shoots of portulaca. And can you imagine, while tilling I take out the plants, do the tilling and put them back again.... no worries. Isn't it incredible. And on top of everything, they are not fragrant but seem to attract millions of bees.

• strawchicago

Your roses look very good, esp. Secret. I like the lighter color of R. in Blue. Leaves are healthy, lots of blooms.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Few photos after rain taken few days back.....

First time, a pure white St Swithun bloom.

In the coming days, there will be lots of rains hopefully.....

• rosecanadian

Khalid - your Crown Princess Margareta looks wonderful!!! I'm loving your Rose de Rescht!! It looks like a peony.

Are you sure that's St. Swithin?

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: Look at Khalid's spring pic. of St. Swithin .. tons of petals (way-better than Austin Catalog) .. when it's hot, roses become less petals.

Khalid: I love your Rose de Rescht, like a Jewel. Same with H. Zaman (pretty color !!) ... Pat Austin has so many petals, so pretty !!

What's your current temp. now? Thanks.

• rosecanadian

Ah...I see. :)

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: This is how blooms from the same bush looked like in spring.

In summers, it has mostly been cream / beige however I am also surprised to see this pure white bloom.

Straw: Temps nowadays range between 91 to 108*F. The day it rains, it stays like 90 to 96 and when it doesn't rain (which is usually the case till the start of monsoon), it is like 100 to 108*F.

best regards

• strawchicago

Khalid: Your high temp. above 90 is a blessing: no blackspots at that temp. In my Chicagoland, it gets up to 86 F in full sun, but cooler at night .. so blackspot is a problem here during last 2 days of constant rain & humid weather. Do you have cooler temp. at night for sleeping? See below link:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp268

"Blackspot symptoms begin to appear in three to 16 days after infection. Mature conidia can be produced 10 to 18 days after infection and initiate a new cycle. Conidia are colorless and two-celled (Fig. 2b). A temperature of 64°F is optimal for black spot development, but conidia germination still occurs from 59 to 81°F."

• rosecanadian

Khalid - lovely!!

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Straw: You are right. Temps like 90-95*F are very good for growing roses. But when it gets over 100, bloom size reduces, so does fragrance. But of course, there is no BS. BTW, even in cooler seasons when the temp was like 70-80*F, I didn't have a single BS case this year. Not even one.

• strawchicago

Wow! That's impressive. Your Centifolia rootstock is very good in picking up potassium: lots of blooms and zero blackspot .. I have 2 Centifolia roses: Le Nia Rias and Centifolia Variegata. I neglect both of them: never fertilize nor water them .. and they are in the worst spot possible. I never see blackspots on those two .. but their roots are all over.