Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwwhite49

Sectional sofa with hide a bed...

8 years ago

Can you feel the bed, ie, metal when sitting on the couch? Just wondering if you can tell the difference from a regular couch.

Comments (11)

• 8 years ago

It depends on the quality of the couch. You really need to sit on one that has the bed mechanism in it before you order one.

bwwhite49 thanked maddielee
  • 8 years ago

When you're on the bed, can you tell that it's a sofabed?

bwwhite49 thanked bpath
  • 8 years ago

What name brand would you look for?

• 8 years ago

In my experience, can you tell the sofa has a bed in it? No. Can you tell the bed is a sofa bed. Yes! Mine have had very thin mattresses and are relatively uncomfortable. You also hit the metal frame when rolling over and such.

Donna

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine have had very thin mattresses and are relatively uncomfortable. You also hit the metal frame when rolling over and such.

You can fix that by replacing the factory mattress with one of the semi-inflatable mattresses (which have both springs and a blow-up part). It's another minute or two to set up and fold down because of inflating/deflating, but worth it for the extra comfort.

• 8 years ago

Maybe this Apartment Therapy article can help?

10 Best Sleeper Sofas

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had a Lazy Boy sofa in the 90s and it was too firm for comfortable sitting. As for sleeping, I would only put kids on one, unless you have adult guests you want to get rid of after one night.

• 8 years ago

We have a sectional with hide-a-bed. No, you can't tell the bed is inside. If anything, the part where the bed is looks better than the other one after few years of use, because the leather there still seems new and less saggy. You also can't feel it when sitting.

The sectional is nothing special but is not bad either..if I'm not mistaken, it was made by Natuzzi's cheaper line.

As for the quality of a bed inside-it will work fine for young and healthy. All the other guests, I try to accommodate differently, unless they stay only for a night or two. Although truth must be told-also because of privacy issue..the sectional is in the family room, so naturally it is less convenient for a guest/s to stay there for more a couple nights in a row.

• 8 years ago

Thanks, WB...I'll keep that in mind if we ever have another sleeper sofa.

When my DH was a kid the family cat went missing for a day. They heard him meowing and found him closed up in the sleeper sofa!

Donna

• 8 years ago

Try Room & Board (who gets their sleepers from American Upholstery/Leather). Exceptionally good quality and comfortable beds. Quite comfortable to use as a sofa too, though you have to accept that all sleeper sofas are going to be firm to sit on.