Software
Houzz Logo Print
raigler

Opinion needed: Kitchen backsplash

10 years ago

We had subway tile installed today and they are going to come back and re do the entire project because we are dissatisfied with the quality of work.

My question: should we go with a lighter grout color when they put up the new back splash?

Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago

    Yes. I would use a very light taupe to blend better with your countertop.


    raigler thanked calidesign
  • 10 years ago
    yes..go lighter.
    raigler thanked RubyRoses
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    shirlpp...can you suggest something else?

    Also, not sure if it makes much of a difference but the tile is a cream color....the picture makes it look very white.

  • 10 years ago
    This was what we chose with similar granite and cabinet colors.
    raigler thanked rick9720
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yours looks like a cream matte ceramic tile. My guess is you're not in the States? We usually don't put a backsplash on the countertop if you're adding a tile backsplash because of the differences in depth (you have a ledge where your granite stops). Not sure you need the tile. I think you should ask your designer to double check it. You'll want the grout to match the tile.

    raigler thanked Maguire
  • 10 years ago
    I would grout closer to your tile color. I recently put black backsplash in; my original grout was a gray, to match my paint. It was great on paper, horrible in actuality. Switched to a home blend of grout colors to make the custom color we wanted, and I'm so much happier with it. We ended up with a charcoal grout that is much more sleek looking, not nearly so busy. I had my tile guy mix a big batch of the grout and saved a bag of it just in case I ever need to replace a tile
    raigler thanked Alayna Bean
  • 10 years ago
    Dry grout mix that is; I don't have a baggy of wet grout!
    raigler thanked Alayna Bean
  • 10 years ago
    If you are going to redo it anyway I would remove the granite backsplash and run the tile straight down to the counter top. It will look less like an after thought. And yes lighter grout would look better.
    raigler thanked integrityphil
  • 10 years ago
    I really like the look achieved by rick9720.

    My contractor in Virginia recommended I have the 4inch high granite backsplash and the subway tile above, and I think it was easy maintenance.

    Would you consider a colored glass subway tile in a shade that complements the granite?
    raigler thanked marylut
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, the look that rick9720 has in her kitchen is very nice and would look nice in your kitchen.

    raigler thanked shirlpp
  • 10 years ago

    Your contractor gave you bad design advice. Remove the 4" backsplash and choose a taupe or beige tile.

    raigler thanked emilyam819
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't choose both the 4" ledge and the back splash. A light grout would look nice

    raigler thanked D Lee
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think the white doesn’t work you need a creamier tile and I agree remove the 4” piece that look is very dated I also would not add a mosaic to the mix the granite is quite busy so keep it simple.

  • 10 years ago

    I appreciate all of the feedback! Removing the 4" granite was never discussed. Guess I should have asked here before we started this project....had no idea this website was available!

  • 10 years ago
    It looks like the granite backsplash was installed first and then the countertop. So you will not be able to remove it.