Software
Houzz Logo Print
kats_claw

How to save my transplanted shrubs

10 years ago

For many years now I have carried my garden around with me via numerous pots. I have roses, hibiscus, bougainvillea, etc that have lived in pots for many years (some more than 20 years in a pot). I recently moved into my own home and have finally planted these pot prisoners out into the garden. I think that they are now all in shock as the leaves are turning yellow and are all wilty and droopy. I am checking the moisture level in the soil very carefully so that I don't over/under water. I have also given a dose of Epsom Salts and Iron Chelate. Is there anything else that I can be doing so that I don't loose my precious plants.

Thanks


Comments (4)

  • 10 years ago

    where are you ... whats the soil .. have you ever had a soil test .. why do you think they needed magnesium and iron???


    were they dormant ... was it proper planting time ...


    and why are you surprised a transplanted plant is in stress??? .. and how long ago did you plant them ????


    did you bare root;.. is the native soil divergent from the potting media ... etc ...


    how about some pix ...


    ken



  • 10 years ago

    Ken makes some very valid points. To understand what is going on with your plants we need how and when and where you planted them. Transplanting from a container to the ground is far less stressful a transplant situation than moving a plant already planted in the ground and doing so this early in the season generally removes most transplant shock issues. But it can still occur, especially if good planting practices are not followed.

    Can you let us know more information and perhaps even supply photos?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Stop the Epsom salts and chelate because neither is of any value for your plants.

    A
    good guess is the plants are failing because their original rootballs
    are dry. Check by feeling the surface of the rootballs with your
    fingers.

    Whenever the original rootball is dry, watering the surrounding soil doesn't help.

    More than likely, your "pot prisoners" are also rootbound.

    Did you cut the circling roots and direct them outward before planting?

    If not, that's trouble for the plants.

    It
    may be time to start over with cuttings from the plants. Alternately,
    decide that these plants have served you well for many years and thus
    deserve a dignified disposal and then obtain healthy replacements.

    Also, did you
    pre-soak the rootballs before you planted them? (No, not water the
    plant, but pre-soak the submerged rootball until bubbles stop rising.)If
    not, the rootballs are definitely dry. Try to moisten them by dribbling
    water on their surface for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat as needed.

  • 10 years ago

    If you exposed them to more sun then they are used to they will naturally droop and have yellow leaves. If you have any more plants like these you need to gradually introduce them into a sunny location by putting them outside for a few hours a day and then bring them back inside. Gradually increasing their exposure time and then plant them outside.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert