Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeffanddanielle

Any tips, just don't love it when I come in the room.

13 years ago
I have tried different furniture arrangements, wall colors, and when I come in the room I just don't love it, and I'm not sure what it's lacking, will take any and all advice, I'm at a loss right now.

Comments (27)

  • 13 years ago
    Sorry, Im not a fan of the rug. I think if you change it and the sofa pillows it would help. I think changing the placement as suggested would also help. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    OMGosh, I wouldn't change a thing except for the tweaks michigam...suggested. I think this room is absolutely beautiful. And the dog really seems to like the rug. Maybe an area rug under dining room table, but that's it.
  • 13 years ago
    Like the suggestions for placing the furnitings and brightening with color. Would ask if the large chair in the corner is used? Would be a great spot for a collection of plants with all that awesome light. Or an easle with artwork. Also noticed the front of the fireplace and thought of refacing the brick, actually thought of hammered copper/brass but haven't thought that through, shiny tile would also brighten up wall.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I do like the area rug (almost bought one myself) but your furniture needs to be brought together in a more user-friendly conversation group - then your furniture legs would be on the area rug. Traffic flow can be behind the furniture. You've got a sofa and a loveseat - try placing them together like a sectional. I also agree that more colour would help - draw out some of the colour from the area rug for toss cushions, throws and think about valances or drapery! Good luck - it's a beautiful room - lots to work with.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the recommendations, here are the couches moved away from the wall, taking out the big chair. Better? This house has 2 very large living room spaces, and I'm struggling to strike the right balance. I appreciate the help, I love to love my home and just want to get there.
  • 13 years ago
    Although I like the rug, it is in a design style that is miles from what is going on in your room and furnishings. You could try it under the dining table if it is 4' wider and longer than the table, but it is the same issue. It has a very Craftsman or Frank Lloyd Wright vibe and geometrics that don't work with your curvy iron table legs. Would it work in the other living space? Would the TV do better in the other space? I don't quite get the three light fixtures in the dining room, but would certainly lower the chandy to 36" or less above the table. Consider the San Francisco piece in the dining room rather than the two large metal??? pieces . You appear to have three of these screen-style pieces, or maybe four, but we can't see the wall behind that sofa. I think 3-4 of them is overkill. Would they work for you if taken down and hinged to make a folding screen that could stand somewhere with plants in front of it? Then you could start over with art for the living room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with a few earlier comments. Don't see any needed major changes... Your home is beautiful! If you're looking for a big change, maybe veneer fireplace with stone, maybe even carrying your stone up the entire fireplace till it meets ceiling. Perhaps a smaller mantle.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- I think the rug is the problem - wrong style. You need a bigger one with a texture in a plain color like a cream or a light tan or rich gold, maybe a wool that looks like a sisal and same for dining room. Then the furniture is better not shoved against the walls like said before. Now the room is also lacking some accent colors . I like the touches of red that's there so get some more of that for accent pillows along with a cream or rich gold . Some nice off white or cream drapes would look nice . Your dining room chadelier is too small and should hang 5 feet from floor to bottom of fixture . The ornate wall panels would maybe look better backed by mirror , but I really think they are too tuscan for your room. Any paintings/pictures should be only 6 inch space above the back of the sofa. I am not a fan of the TV being so high on the fireplace ( I think the mantel is too high, also). Is there wall space across from the sofa for the TV ?
  • 13 years ago
    Looked at new photos and my eye was stalled at artificial plant arrangement on end table. Something lower and mounding, with color, would work well. Glad to see the corner chair gone. How is that working?
  • 13 years ago
    Not for the rug in this part of the room either... Maybe under your dining table? Looks like you need a larger ..and lighter rug or different color scheme. Doesn't go w the white and choc walls well.
  • 13 years ago
    OMG, jeffanddanielle, what are you doing with my dog?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the 2nd set of photos with the sofas moved into the room. Why not try a couple of buffet lamps on the console behind one of the sofas. You have a beautiful room, but I think there is to much brown going on. Try some lighter colored throw pillows. A large light area rug in the dining room would bring your table & chairs to life.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not in 'the rug is the problem'-camp :-) Your sofa's are very dark and so are the accent pillows. If you add a couple of lighter pillows, colours that are in your rug, it will lose a lot of the darkness.

    What bothers me the most about your room is the very dominant tv above the fireplace. Personal thing. I suppose you like it, otherwise you wouldn't have put it there. But I would put it somewhere else in the room and give the fireplace some 'breathing space'.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    It's a very nice room. I like bringing the furniture away from the walls, but also liked the comfy chair by the fireplace. I would bring it, or another one, back in. I think the room needs curtains in the background color of the rug to make it look "complete".
  • 13 years ago
    You need some color. Some great pillows that are fun with color and a print on the couch and chair would add a pop and liven up the room. It's all to muted and sort of sleepy. Choose 3 pop colors and accent with those as well. Little splashes will bring life to the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Lamps!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I definitely think it looks better with furniture floating. I would move the console table out from behind the sofa though. Maybe use something low, like a chest with a flat top or a plant stand, in front of the windows with plants on them and/or something decorative for a splash of color. I've seen some beautiful plates on stands that might work.

    For an alternate arrangement, you might try the love seat across from the fireplace with end tables on each side. Leave sofa where it is forming an L shaped seating arrangement. You could move the console table to the wall across from sofa. Not sure how to re-arrange the art work, haven't seen a pic of the wall across from the sofa. The mirror that you were using behind the console table may be enough for that wall. If not, maybe a smaller mirror and use the two metal works from the dining room on either side with maybe a small ottoman under each? I think the sofa wall is the only wall in the living area for the Golden Gate because of its size. You could use it in the dining room if you move the metal works to the living room. The large mirror could hang length wise behind the sofa and instead of using a smaller mirror over the console, use piece of art.

    I'm sure you will hit upon the right combination that makes you love to room. It is a great space to in which to work!
  • 13 years ago
    It's probably just me but what about bringing the couches closer to make space to walk behind it to the patio door? Seems like the column would cause zig zag right now.

    Love your home - it's glam and inviting!
  • 13 years ago
    All wonderful advice, I made some changes, and will shop for some more accent pillows, switching out the San Francisco picture,it's home, I love it, but yes, doesn't feel right in there. The rug I love, but eventually when I find something more neutral with more texture I will swap them out, I have looked at warm golds for accents and because of the abundance of light in the room they tend to look very yellow in the room, I will post another picture when I swap out some accents! Thanks all!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The pieces of art in the dining room hanging too high.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the changes you have made, just by moving this around have made a big improvement! Looks great!
  • 13 years ago
    Just curious..is it uncomfortable watching TV? The TV seems very high on the fireplace and watchers would have to tilt their head to see the screen. Your dining room is perfect! Love it.
  • 13 years ago
    I have the same rug (5x7) in our entryway. I love the colors, especially the blue-gray, in the border. That, and the fact that it IS very dog friendly!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm not sure about your accent wall with the fireplace. It seems too dark in relation to the rest of the room and overpowering. Maybe keep it the same color but a lighter shade. Perhaps have it the same color as the other walls, or if want to go warmer the base color of your rug, and add more interest to that wall with drapes on the windows, perhaps in a pattern and incorporating the gray in your rug. I really like your rug. Think you could use more of that grayish color in pillows, and other accents in the room. In the dining room, I think the art flanking the large window needs to be larger and with some color, the art there seems overwhelmed in scale by the window and the art on the other wall. Lovely rooms - think they need some lighter accents.
  • 13 years ago
    Are you near Atlanta? Houzzer near there could use your living room rug. Interested?
  • 13 years ago
    I first saw a tv, didn't even notice your room. Thinking the tv is too high so it draws attention away from your living area. a fireplace is supposed to be the focal point of the room which your room has but it is not truly the focal point, the tv is Just what I first saw, so i do not think placement of furniture is the problem with loving your room