Software
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_farmer

planting schedule in 5b

10 years ago

I'm in zone 5b.

Can anybody post a planting schedule of common garden vegetables for this zone ?

In particular seeds like radishes , lettuce, corn , string beans and such.

The back of the seed packets are too vague.

I would like to know which week and in which month to plant.

thanks

Comments (6)

  • 10 years ago

    Universities usually publish info like this. What state are you in ?

  • 10 years ago

    based on the concept of micro climates.. this is a near impossible thing to answer ...


    for seed to germinate.. you soil temps ... and it matters not a bit about air temps ... e.g near 70n in my MI yesterday ... 23 last night ... seed aint going to germinate .... you need the target germ temp.. near 24/7


    and after that.. you need no frost or freeze ... or they die ...


    i suggest you call your county extension office for good local estimates.. and ask them if there is a local master gardeners club.. that might help ...


    all you list.. except the corn.. can and should be planted in waves ... so take your best guess... and plant 1/4 of your seeds ... then a week later.. another row.. and a week later.. etc ... even if the first die ... sooner or later.. you will get them ... [who really needs a bushel basket of redishes.. all in one week .. so plant them sequentially]


    and dont forget to count germination time between planting.. and last frost ...


    wing it dude... lifes to short.. besides.. your a hippy .. lol


    the bottom line... wait until last predicted frost freeze date ... and you should be safe .. so what if you are drooling an extra week or two .. for harvest .. better than losing everything due to spring fever ... that date plus the 7 to 14 days germination times.. get you near bulletproof ....


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    I'm in a state that borders PA, & WV. I don't like to give exact information because of the television shows that say stalkers will find out who you are if you do.

    Anyway , my state has little information for my area as they concentrate on the bigger area of the state which includes a coastal area . I am in Appalachia were the ginseng grows.

    Anyhow , I would like exact dates, like for example, April 15th for string beans , May 2nd for corn, well you get the idea. That is what I am looking for.

  • 10 years ago

    sorry farmer.. for calling you a hippie ... lol ... that was for for one of our other posters ...


    good thinking on being overly lax on giving out location .. what you gave is good enough ... much better than what we knew before ...


    see link ... just took a guess at a state .... if not yours.. change it ... elevation ... can drastically change planting dates .... if you have any ...


    ken

    https://www.google.com/search?q=kentucky+annual+planting+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for everyone replies. Kimms link was great and what I was looking for.

    I do think its interesting that they say on the veg garden site to plant the radishes so early. I talked to one of the farm guru's around here and he said to wait until the late part of that time the veg site called for planting . I do have problems with my radishes so maybe their not as hardy as I have been lead to believe. I also find the later I plant veggies the less I have problem with insect's pest. Of course you can only hold off so long before you miss the boat.