0
rosaline88

Looking Glass begonia help

rosaline88
last modified: March 29, 2016

I purchased this Begonia from Accents for homing garden and it was healthy when I received it but it was a little dehydrated . After having it for a week it's lost almost all its leaves and it looks pretty naked . I watered it a couple times and just kind of sprinkled it when it first got here,but I have not transplanted it . Wanted to wait to transplant it until it was over the shock of being shipped . I sprayed it this morning with a little bit of Eleanor's vf 11.

• rosaline88

This is what it looked like before.

• hc mcdole

Unfortunately 'Looking Glass' is one of the most finicky canes I think there is. Beautiful when grown in perfect conditions but indoors in normal household light and air, it can quickly go downhill (as you obviously found out).

It would be nice to know exactly what the vendor/grower does to make it grow so well other than a clean warm bright greenhouse. I still haven't figured it out yet after at least 15 years. It does good in summer but indoors in winter it 1) gets beaucoup of mildew 2) defoliates and 3) usually dies. My last one is still with me but the winters in the warm moist basement makes it look like a sick puppy. So my suggestion is to 1) pick off any ugly leaves ESPECIALLY mildew infected ones 2) spray for mildew on a regular basis - maybe every two weeks with a fungicide/mildewcide made for plants 3) water very sparingly (mine seems to respond better than thoroughly watering it and 4) don't get upset if you lose it - you can always find another one and treat it as an annual if nothing else works.

It seems like a lot of silver type canes are very susceptible to mildew.

rosaline88 thanked hc mcdole
  • rosaline88

Thanks so much for your reply I guess you're right from what I've seen so far . I do have the new leaves trying to come out but I think I may cover to keep the humidity in and spray it .

• hc mcdole

Mine is eking out a miserable existence in the basement but it will soon be outdoors where I hope it recovers nicely in warm air and bright sunshine.

• hc mcdole

This is what it looked like a week after moving it into the basement. Not too bad but now I know I should've exposed it to more sun as it was hiding beneath bigger begonias and a gourd vine. You can see a few spots of mildew appearing on this picture of it.

• rosaline88

I put a liter bottle on it to keep in the humidity so we'll see what happens. At least yours has leaves on it .

• hc mcdole

That photo was in early November shortly after taking it indoors. It has some new leaves on that are half the size and still getting mildew - just trying to keep it living until I can move it outside.

If it looked like the ones I saw at Callaway Gardens (Pine Mountain, GA) two years ago, I'd be really happy.

• rosaline88

Those are beauties,I see why you are not happy with the progress you have made with your plant. But remember it is a learning experience, growing begonias.

I have managed to keep 3 Coralline de Lucernas happy for 2 years ( one is a cutting from the 1 st one).. That is a record. I hope to get more blooms this summer. And of course I had to buy more cane varieties, to celebrate my success!

• hc mcdole

Yes, it is a learning process. Also a humbling one at times...

I still have plants from our first "angel wing begonia" from over 40 years ago. Back then that is all it was called. Probably 15 years ago or longer I found the real name is 'Corallina de Lucerna". I have not put a lot of care into it but I should since it is our oldest one. As neglected as it has been, it is still a survivor, just not as pretty as it should be.

• rosaline88

Looks good . I have mine under plant light above my kitchen sink and they seem pretty happy. If third one I have is in the west window but not direct light until late evening . I think it would be happier with more light and certainly more humidity .

This was taken a few weeks ago and it has grown considerably since then.

• hc mcdole

Looks very good!

• rosaline88

Thank you my other two are under the plant light and have bigger canes and leaves , with burgundy undersides.

• hc mcdole

I remember when my original plant would often get to 3 feet tall (maybe a little taller) and then I'd cut it off and start a new plant. I was enthralled with it way back when. HA!

I got a few new canes last year (I try to add 3 to 6 new ones each year). This is really cool.

Dimitri

Purple Haze looks a lot like Lucerna but maybe bigger leaves

I got a new brevirimosa, again (this is probably my 3rd or 4th one to try out) - thought I lost it this winter but instead of tossing it, I let it be bottom watered and wouldn't you know it - it has sent up two new shoots from the ground. It sure has thin leaves so easily ripped asunder by falling debris.

One more cool one that I've had for a few years and should be in everyone's collection is aconitifolia. Easy to propagate, nice blooms, interesting leaves, and really cool swollen base (pseudo - bulb?)

• rosaline88

Those are really nice I posted and lost my post so I'm trying to do this again. I like theDimitri ,purple haze and brevirimosa. Where do you buy yours? I haven't seen those 3 for sale.

• rosaline88

I'm trying to post one of my new ones. Lady McElderry.,but my pics aren't coming through again.

• hc mcdole

Dimitri and Purple Haze were new to me. I also got Menhat (I think that was the name but I'm not as enamored with it). B. brevirimosa can be found but you have to do a search. Try Steve's Leaves, eBay, Taylor's, Kartuz to begin with.

I picked all those up last year when I go to Orlando to buy a truckload for our club's annual sale. It is wholesale only but they sell to ABS clubs so I can pick some up for myself as I don't get paid to do this - I do get one day's expenses though.

Here are little Silver Dollar plants ready to move up to the next size pot.

One of the mother plants at the nursery.

How to start cuttings.

My truck before unloading on sale day back in Atlanta. Around 200 plants ready for sale.

• hc mcdole

Okay I was close but the other cane I got was Mentat.

• rosaline88

Wow! That's a lot of begonias . I may have to try that purple haze thanks for the info

• Danielle N

hc mcdole Hi, Do you still have begonia looking glass? If so do you have any care tips? I have recently had powdery mildew problems and seem to have found a good treatment for that. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS. Slightly off topic but have you tried begonia Marmaduke? Is it similar care to Begonia Immense?

• hc mcdole

Trickle water twice a week or as needed. Seems like saturated soil becomes a problem for mildew (at least by my observations). But if you miss watering, then the leaves can take a huge hit. I came back from a week in Maui last week and most of the leaves were goners even after I gave it more water than usual before I left on vacation. So it is back to ground zero now.

No, Marmaduke is nothing like Immense. Marmaduke is a much smaller rhizome and when I have had it, it seems to be more of a clumper than a creeping rhizome. Immense can have some long rhizomes, thick like stems if it was prone to stand erect, and huge leaves given the right conditions.

• Danielle N

Thank you Hc Mcdole! I shall see how they do in my care. I have kept my immense alive and happy for some time so hopefully I can succeed with these new additions. My other new one is Amelia's Kaleidoscope. It is supposed to be a vigorous grower.

I had the great pleasure of visiting Maui with my family earlier this year. It is so beautiful! It is truly amazing seeing how well tropical plants do there. I hope you had a blast!

Cheers

• hc mcdole

Never heard of Amelia's Kaleidoscope. Will have to see that one - sounds interesting.

I had Immense in an 18 inch pot and it was huge. I cut it back to a pan for indoors as 18 inch pots take up a lot of floor space.

Yes, Maui was great. The Road to Hana was a long day but worth it, sunrise at Haleakala was neat but COLD, a snuba-snorkel trip off Molokini was extra cool (except my GoPro dive bubble didn't work - GRRR), too many beaches to remember, a hike down to the blowhole seemed impossible but we made it, and the luau was more notable for the performances than the food.

Immense in a lasagna pan.

Back in 2015 I had one in an 18 inch pot and it was truly immense. The dark one is Caribbean King.

• Danielle N

Caribbean king is beautifu!!