Most of the
construction on my project is coming to an end with the exception to the
temporary kitchen. I need help with selecting blinds for my windows that
reflect the modern motif of the house. I like roller shades, however I am
struggling with what color to go with against the black windows and the ben
moore decorators white wall color. Not sure of some of the other
alternatives out there. If I lived on a large lot with vast landscapes
and privacy, I would go without blinds. Unfortunately, I live in a
community with neighbors pretty close and I'm also on a corner lot.
Please help!

Window Treatments · More Info

Comments (4)

• Kelley Dockrey
    8 years ago
    I would go with a roller shade if you want a clean contemporary style.

it looks like you have enough space for am inside mount roller shade. I can't tell if there is enough room to use a roller shade on the door or not. there is probably enough room to do a silhouette type shade on it.

I would go with black shades personally or pick a neutral griege if that works better for your furnishings.
    Phil Burghardt thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • Xochitl
    8 years ago

Roller shades or honeycomb. I love my up/down shades for privacy from street.

Phil Burghardt thanked Xochitl
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Let me suggest some alternatives - try frost film for the front door and for the windows that will soon be in the kitchen / with counters below and cabinets or shelves above. Later you can decide what to do with those. Leave the high windows uncovered.

For the corner windows by the front door - consider using frost film for 2/3 of the window - lower 2/3 so you have privacy but light - frost film is inexpensive at home depot and as long as you make the top level on both windows - you'll be leaving a transom you can see out from up on the stair. It will give you a view of the sky from the space but also give privacy

For the front windows - I think you want a combination of two things. Start now with a simple roman shade hung at the ceiling line so when they are open they form a nice valance and just cover the top of the window - in a soft clay gray / green to echo your earthy fireplace wall tone. Do them right and you won't be sorry. I would use a fabric that gave me privacy but I wouldn't care if it was totally opaque. In the rear, use the same fabric in a grommet top that draws from the center .. you can draw wide of the door or all of the glass on a black rod. Smith and Noble or JC Penney can do these for you.

The only other alternative I think you would like would be woven wood blinds to pick up on the wood tone of the stair and the floor, hang them at the ceiling and drop them . They will be more informal and more inexpensive but you may be able to find them at the big box store - they will make a conflict with the sliding door but would warm up your room visually - you can leave the back open all day when you are home, but when down they work well.

Consider going to your property line out "back/side" and building a modern lined standing trellis screen that will give you instantly a nice view out the back glass wall. Plant columnar podocarpus (or something right for your zone) from 5' off the street to the trellis - they will fill in fast and turn them back to make a fence of green along the frontage of your side yard. In front of the trellis (to hide your neighbors door / side door), eventually site a contemporary recirculating fountain and plant on each side of it - it will help screen sound there too.

Phil Burghardt thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds
    8 years ago

You have beautiful, large windows! Dual panel shutters, 2 on 1 headrail blinds, or even large window blinds would be great options for you.