Software
Houzz Logo Print
bklibman

Looking for help with kitchen layout

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hi. I have been
reading the kitchen forum for sometime and I am so impressed by the
knowledge and creativity I find here. I
would love your input on my kitchen layout ideas. We are in the early planning stages right now. There are 2 adults and 2 teenagers living at
home. The college kid will be home for the summer. We have weeknight family
dinners. We entertain a lot. I love to cook and bake. I have a lot of small appliances that I’d
like access to. I hope to improve the flow into the house
from the garage, the main entryway for the family. I also want to improve the flow from the
kitchen to the dining room. Currently,
we must walk around a peninsula and down the hall to get to the dining
room. On the drawing of the existing
floor plan, the sink and dw are in a peninsula.

I’ll attach a drawings of the existing first floor, as well
as a few of my attempts at redesigning the kitchen floor plan in another post. I would love advice on where to place the
main appliances and sink and any other thoughts about flow, efficiency, storage strategy, etc.

Here are my ideas:

-move w/d out of mudroom to the upstairs

-remove peninsula and wall between kitchen and
hall, replace with island

-add built in banquet seating in the bay window

-maybe create a drink station along the wall of
the great room near the bay window.

-flip dining room and den

-remove wall between den and great room (wall between current den and hall
cannot be removed)

Appliances:

36” range top

30” wall ovens (French door oven, combi/steam oven)

48” or 54” refrigerator/freezer

27-30” sink (single bowl)

dish washer

Thank you so much for your input! Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Comments (7)

  • 10 years ago

    Here are the drawings.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm not a kitchen pro, but I can see a problem with traffic through the kitchen. Can you put a door from the garage into the hallway on the right?(circled in red) If not (and possibly in addition to), I'd omit the middle section of the island and make a wide aisle, to allow traffic to pass behind the prep area. That would also put the island closer to the cooktop, and keep the corner from jutting into the work path. I would put the DW on the right side of the sink, to get it out of the prep space, but that doesn't leave many options for storing dishes--maybe in the drawers on the left, or between the fridge and ovens. I put the fridge on the corner, too, so that anyone using it doesn't need to enter the prep area.

    click to enlarge

    New to Kitchens? Read me first.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you mamma goose. You've identified a major reason for the renovation: traffic flow problems! The problems currently are both into the house from garage and from kitchen to dining room. I'm going to ask the contractor about a door from the garage into the hall. I see what you mean about a wider aisle, but I'm reluctant to give up storage space on the island, as well as work and serving surface. My family is so trained to go straight through the kitchen when entering, I wonder if they would start turning right in the new layout! I appreciate your thoughts.

  • 10 years ago

    One more thing, I know what you mean about placement of the dw away from the work area. How do you balance that with dw proximity to cabinets for dishes, cutlery, etc?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My family is so trained to go straight through the kitchen when entering ... I would rather have them walk through the prep area than by the cooktop, although you have to weigh sharp knives against boiling water.

    ... dw proximity to cabinets for dishes, cutlery, etc? Ideally, with the DW on the right, if you have help, someone can load or unload the DW, or set the table, while you are prepping on the other end of the island. If you don't have help, but are in the habit of leaving the DW open as you prep, it will be in your prime prep space on the left. In the drawers on the left of the sink, or between the fridge and ovens, were my only ideas for dish storage convenient to the DW. With a wider aisle, the drawers and uppers by the fridge would work well--close to DW, and easily accessed to set the tables. If setting the table isn't done until you've moved on to cooking, those cabinets would work, even with the narrower aisle.

    GW discussions--dishes in drawers

    GW discussions--all drawer bases

    I'm hoping my bumping your thread will get you more advice (other than spammers ;).

  • 10 years ago

    change the mudroom door to oven position...build a small office over on fridge wall...... remove partition wall between den and great room......use that old den area for dinette zone....in more the middle of your kitchen/great room sq footage construct a double island or galley kitchen that straddles great room and area where your diagonal sink is....one of the islands or galley runs can have counter extended for seating.....Although nice looking, I find seating at tables in bay alcoves isn't so hot in reality. With a dinette table you can place up into that old den spot and ability to have stool or bar seating in more the "middle of things" you embrace more the open floor plan and social aspect..... I think the space could be more dynamic for you and young adults. Depends on whether den could be eliminated..and a small office would suffice. Do you really need either den or office now with laptops and hand held devices?? with good counter or island seating that's where people will congregate...you have the space. I'd think about maybe a pantry outside mudroom, once you shift the mudroom door, and NO office or den, as your great room will expand...., but it depends on what you want.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone. Once we've nailed down a single floor plan idea, I'll re-post for more specific advice. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about the dw and where to store all my stuff!