Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shira_anthony

Table/counter height adjustable chairs/stools

Shira Anthony
8 years ago

Our kitchen/dining room has a fixed counter-height eating area. I'm looking for chairs that would work at counter height (23-28") and table height (17-19") to do double duty in case we have guests. Heights are approximate, but that seems to be the range. There are tons of counter to bar height adjustable chairs and stools. I have found none that work for table/counter heights.

There are some adjustable height dining chairs, but they top out at about 21", which is too short for the counter height. Piano benches/stools are unbearably ugly.
I'm about to give up here and buy separate counter and dining chairs, but thought I'd toss it out if anyone has seen something I've missed. Thanks in advance!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Check out the Bombo stool

Shira Anthony thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Shira Anthony
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Patricia Colwell, the regular Bombo appears to adjust from 20-29" and standard table height chairs seem to be 17-19". My table is 27.5" high. Will that fit? Or is there another version of the Bombo that is adjustable and adjusts to the lower chair height? I'm ony finding the taller version: http://store.hermanmiller.com/store/servlet/dynamicKit__10151_-1_10051_2719?adpos=1o4&creative=40756402417&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3WdWqjG2mE22b_QQHRkqRqK0AYlPEpJcgLneVcWtUJxoCoj_w_wcB#BVQAWidgetID

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Your table is a strange height at 27.5 normally a table would be 30’ high I don’t think there would be enough room for legs with the low Bombo.I find the ones from C&B very heavy looking to put at any table but i don’t have any other suggestion other than a couple of stacking chairs put awy in a closet.

• Shira Anthony
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for your help, Patricia. It is a strange height. This is the table: http://organicmodernism.com/index.php?p=465  I used a converter and came up with a little over 28" high, although the website says 27.5". These chairs/stools would be in addition to regular table height chairs, in case we have more guests, so not normally placed at the table. I've found a few office task chairs that may work. Otherwise I'll just give up and by nice-looking counter chairs and keep extra folding chairs if I can find room. I'm surprised there's nothing truly viable for multi-use. Seems like a niche to be filled!

• Leslie and Jim Frank
    7 years ago

I have the same dilemma! Down sizing and need for every piece of furniture to be super useful and versatile. Any luck in your search?

• Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    I saw those c&b stools (in steel) in my mechanic's shop today. Sharp looking for certain environments.
  • Awesome Mom
    7 years ago
    I have this same dilemma. My home is very traditional and I need a back on the chair to counter height dining seating. I would like to use the counter height chair as a computer chair or as a dining chair in my kitchen. My kitchen table is 29" and my counter 36".
  • Shira Anthony
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ended up getting separate chairs with backs for each purpose. I decided we'd be sitting at these every day for at least breakfast, and stools without backs are just not comfortable enough. You'd think someone would come up with a better solution!

• Awesome Mom
    6 years ago
    I have the same issue. We have an arts and crafts decor so ultra modern does not work and who wants to have dinner on a backless stool? I’d really like a nice adjustable chair. I’d design it and gave it custom-built if I. Oils find someone to do it for a reasonable price.
  • HU-585260644
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This is the only decent, sturdy option that I've found that appears to be made to adjust from table to counter to bar height. It's expensive and doesn't appear to adjust easily.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/17-stories-yulin-adjustable-3-dining-chair-stss6760.html

I have the same dilemma... Our dining space is small (you might just call it a breakfast nook), but it needs to fit 6 diners. It's bordered on one side by the kitchen counter, and I can't have stools there all the time because you wouldn't be able to access the far end of the table, or the glass slider. It's not ideal, but I think dual-purpose chairs/stools would be the best option. I want my kids to be able to sit at the counter (most of the time) and re-purpose the stools as chairs when we have guests. Then, there is always space to walk through the area, no matter which way the chairs are facing. I really don't want to buy anything that I'd have to store away periodically.

The modway dining stool might be the way I decide to go, based on price, even though I'm not a huge fan of their industrial look.

• Lotus flower
    2 years ago

This is older post but I have same need!! The links aren't taking to in stock items today. Help!

• Elizabeth Hibel
    2 years ago

I hate to disappoint… Years later, I have not yet found a traditional looking dining chair with leather or quality fabric upholstery that adjusts from dining height to counter height. Every once in awhile I will find an office chair that would do the trick. Unfortunately the office chairs are usually about $1K each and I haven’t convinced the others in my family that spending $6K on kitchen chairs would make an impact on our home.

• Lotus flower
    2 years ago

You'd think designers would pick up on this need!

• HU-950831003
    2 years ago

Looking for a counter height chair than can adjust to be used at the doning table - havent found anything that’ll work.

• Lotus flower
    2 years ago

I did find a stool/ottoman that has hydraulic lift table to counter height at Pier One.

• lizmcb
    2 years ago

@Lotus flower: Do you have a link or product name for that stool/ottoman? I have just the same problem.

• Lotus flower
    2 years ago

Its no longer avaialble :(

• steph_lin
    last year

Sooo I’m between houses and I don’t have the space to try this idea, but I intend to try it once I move back into the house that needs this (in about 2 years)

Considering most adjustable chairs use standard stock gas lift cylinders, I wonder if it’s possible to buy a nice looking task chair and replace the cylinder to go a different height. If I aim for a typical task chairs/stools with standard lift of 5.5”, I can roughly back calculate that the base and chair cushion takes up ~4 to 4.4” (I’ll use 4.4)

A standard 8” gas lift (~$25 on Amazon) goes from 13.5-21.5”, so if I took a chair of choice and changed out the gas lift cylinder, I would now have a chair that goes from 17.9 to 25.7”

This meets the goal of 17-19” dining chair height and the 24-27” counter height, AND I get to pick the chair style with some consideration for chair base/seat height. AND it also would be around the right height as a sofa seat, so for an extra $25/chair, my dining chairs could work triple duty as counter/dining/living room usage.

• miriamtownsley
    3 months ago

Need a lower tech solution. Something like the seat of the kitchen bench stool folds down to become the back of the dining height stool. Or cracks in half and folds outwards to make the arms of a dining chair thus revealing a lower seat.

• claudiadengler
    3 months ago

I need this adjustable height dining chair option too. So far have not found one. Bar stools - plenty but none drop below 24’ - too high for dining.

• steph_lin
    3 months ago

I just found a chair that goes from 18 to 24in!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PU-Leather-Sponge-Adjustable-Drafting-Stool-with-Low-Backrest-Salon-Task-Chair-White/679634666?from=/search

Unfortunately it is backless, but it does meet the op’s specifications on height!

• christylein
    23 days ago

I have the same issue.... would like 18"-24" adjustable stools, but without wheels. That would make it dangerous to have my grandkids over for dinner! 😵‍💫