• charleee
    MP, I knew you'd know it! I was thinking Chico or even Coldwater Creek. I think I like the khaki idea the best :))
  • mpoulsom
    It is an absolutely beautiful sunny day for a great change! still cold, but i don't even care! i started thinking about something last night....the wind was blowing so hard last night and i started thinking, why does it not blow like this in the summer? Is it the humidity? It only seems to really blow on the coast in the summer, but rarely inland where I am. But let it get 32 degrees outside and whamo...the wind is crazy strong!

ASV...I like your little brit chart up there...pretty darn funny woman! Sounds like a lot of my american relationships.....and I AM american. Never had a problem getting on with the English!

OLLD 6/7

Mforr – After the luncheon I attended, I went back & worked at the legislative office a couple of hours, so I wound up going home via 34 rather than 71 south .. which usually floods in Manasquan/Sea Girt, with a lot less rain!

olld 6/27

Good morning olldbobbi, is there a 6/28 set up yet? Can't find it. BTW, nice schooling on the demanding bedroom poster. Second language or not, that came across as so demanding and imperious. Gee whiz, I couldn't help with it if I wanted to.

OLLD 7/6

Hope you get a really good sleep Angela. KD, this is the mother of Miss 7 and the Little Bloke which probably explains a lot. She was my swimmer and was always on the go and one of those people who really gets things done - still is. When she was about 4, end of day was a nightmare with the bath, dinner, bed routine, I was always adamant they had to clean their mess away and stick to the routine. #1 always had her head in the clouds, used to play with every toy she owned and #3 just followed her. Come 4.30 #2 would suddenly pack away whatever she was playing with, ask me to run the bath for her and would immediately bath and dress herself, put her dirty clothes in the laundry, tidy her room, then set the table for dinner and ask if I wanted anything else done. The rule was that when everything was done they could watch TV till dinner time so of course #2 was straight in front of the TV thoroughly enjoying herself while I was constantly nagging the other two to clean up, get in the bath, etc. As kids do, more time was spent arguing about it than actually doing and I was constantly dragging them back from the TV. I couldn't do a damn thing, I had set the rules and no matter how hard I tried to work it the other two would just never get it and co-operate. Anything I did would have penalised #2. She was one damned cunning kid AND knew it.

OLLD 8/6

Ms Roo -- sometimes there are strange North American sayings that I don't understand either, especially as I get older. Urban Dictionary has been my friend more times than I care to admit! Zenhome -- no worries, we figured it was on the wrong thread. Forgive us, we love to joke about 'that paint color..." lol
  • charleee
    MP, That's a really good question! Why doesn't the wind blow hard in the summer, when we need it? Same thing here! Let me know if you figure it out, ok?
    Hi Bobbi and STK - but if you are using real marble you wouldn't have grout lines would you? You can stick them right next to each other to have a seamless look?

Sorry if I am dim on this, but here tiles always have to have a grout line but marble doesn't...(Or am I not clear - perhaps a marble tile is a tile made to look LIKE marble rather than a tile made OUT of marble - eg cut like a subway tile?)
    mp - brilliant find for Bobbil - just love it!!!
  • charleee
    ASV, honestly what I know about marble tile wouldn't fill a thimble. I'll defer to STK here!
  • charleee
    Thank you STK! You're brilliant :))
  • mpoulsom
    Of course I do bob.....relaxed!!!! and comfy but clean and beachy looking!

ok..lesson learned from a beach wedding one time. My room-mate in california decided as his gift to his brother and his bride, he would cater the wedding for them. They wanted to get married in Carmel on the beach. Down a steep cliff of course was the only way to get there. He rented a motorhome and did all the food prep and cooking in there!! Of course I told him I would help along with 2 other friends. It was a nightmare! lol! There were gale force winds that day of course! Couldn't keep the tablecloths on the tables, the tent where the food was almost blew away several times and of course we had to make numerous trips up and down the cliff to carry the food and wine and stuff. I wore a rather short dress that day. Never again will I wear a short dress to the beach again unless there's a bathing suit on underneath. My dress blew all the way up on the backside. The hem of the dress actually hit the back of my head! Talk about a trip! So needless to say everyone got a show for free. The beach is my favorite place in the world, but if I ever get married again, i think I'll make sure it's going to be a calm day and it will just be me and my love and whoever is marrying us. Maybe a tropical island, but no cliffs!
  • mpoulsom
    ASV...usually marble is butted up against one another, but if you WANT to, you can use grout. I don't think most people do though. Tile and grout are the norm here in the US.
    I guess if you do want to use grout with marble, if would have to be unsanded grout, like you use with glass tiles, so as not to scratch the surface.
    As far as I know, there is no rule out there that says you HAVE to use grout with tile either, but it may help with imperfections. That's my 2 cents and take on it anyway. I'm a rule breaker when it comes to design and tiling though...so prob shouldn't listen to me at all! HA!
  • mpoulsom
    chico pants and 2 other tops....i know, you've decided already, but I promise I'll stop after this. :)
    the black top also comes in green.
    Hi MP no, I am with you, I was just checking to make sure I had understood the terminology. So in both places you would "butt" marble up against one another, but it it was tile (ie made of a ceramic base) then you have joints with grouting... Here in Switzerland we HAVE to use grout with tile because unlike marble, it apparently needs to be "sealed in" on all four sides... we have minimum widths.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    ASV normally you would butt marble tile together, but I have seen it spaced out and grouted. MP's right you would want to use an unsanded grout to keep from scratching the marble. Marble tile is actually marble cut in tile like shapes and thicknesses..........ceramic tile or porcelain (higher fired ceramic) is totally different than marble tile.

Bobbi......I'm brilliant? Dang someone must have changed out the battery and didn't tell me again...... don't worry the blinding light will soon fade back to normal.........
  • judianna20
    mp and bobbi, love the chico's white pants and the black top. Perfect…the black is the color of your mood, but the white is the light of better days to come. Definitely earrings and a killer bracelet.

I didn't realize what CA Casual was!

mp, snow is coming our way. CP is coming home from the Keys tomorrow afternoon. I hope he doesn't get stuck in Atlanta….horrors!
    That explains everything!!! ;-)
  • charleee
    OMG, funny!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    Well you know what they say about truth in advertising.........using your logic Judy, after a fully dose of conditioner for that soft and supple feeling.......I was anything but after my wife got in the shower...............I should sue for false advertising.
  • judianna20
    STK, you devil!
    Overland Remodeling & Builders
    Hey all! It's been a while..... Last couple days were kinda busy.

Astraea, I guess there is more Israelis involved in houzz then I thought.
  • charleee
    ez, use the juice from an orange and a soft nylon brush. You'll be amazed!
  • charleee
    So, Judy, Judey, Judee, what are your plans for CP when he gets home? Or is it time for YOUR vacation?
  • olldroo
    Morning all. A beautiful crisp sunny day in ole Sydney Town. Hitting 24 which is very comfortable.

Love that blue ombre top - that would be so me. I never wear dresses anymore, the legs that I could once flaunt have sadly aged waaaaay too much.

There has been a lot of argument here over the age a lot of girls start modelling, especially when we had 12 year olds emerging on the scene. There has also been a big and successful push for plus sized models and plus sized clothing is becoming more available. Of course though everything is geared for the under 40s or those who still look like they are. Seniors clothing is totally non existent, designers just don't seem to have the ability to design for all ages and body shapes and seem to prefer to take the easy way out of only designing for the young skinny people. That is not a mark of a truly talented designer to me. Sometimes I would love to be at these fashion shows where they are all kissy/kissy and telling each other how FABULOUS they are............ darlink. I would not hold back.

Car in for service today, so I am grounded. Must go and see if I can decide where to start, there is so much to be done.
  • Darzy
    Hello everyone! I need to catch up! Bobbi...BTW..I agree with roo to look beautiful and be charming at the wedding. I'm talking win an academy award for acting. You just KNOW she has told her family how "wicked" you are so I'd mingle, smiling, tell everyone (and her) what a beautiful bride she is and how much you enjoy your "new" grandaughter and looking forward to more. That will really frost her! Everyone in her family will say how wrong she is about you.:)

California casual? For a wedding, I wouldn't wear pants. Especially for mother of the groom. A pretty cotten blend dress (calf length?) with a pretty, lightweight 3/4 sleeve bolero type jacket and low, wedge heel sandal type. Oh..a spray tan. :) Great accessories for that extra punch (but not too much). Be sure your handbag coordinates. :)
  • charleee
    Top of the morning to you, Roo! You're so right about seniors' clothes. I love Gloria Vanderbilt's 'Amanda' jeans! They have the regular button/zip fly but the waistband stretches so they are ubu comfortable. And they do come in many colors, not just blue. And I cannot live without my Old Navy sweatshirts, I have every color. Super comfy. If you all haven't watched Project Runway, it's pretty good, try to catch it!

Darzy, Scout's honor I will do my best. The last time we attended a party with her family we were pretty much ignored, so I made the rounds and listened to what they said but didn't offer much of my own. I'm pretty sure they had no idea who we were. And R just keeps to himself or plays with the kids. R loves toys, not having had any of his own when he was young so he's a big kid at heart. I am in charge of making goody bags for the wee ones, it's kind of odd but at least they'll be entertained.

I'm pretty sure it will be pants, hon, but not sure about white, maybe a tan linen blend. My worst color is teal but I look ok in brown. And since I figured out it's a Sunday night we'll def get a room nearby. I was thinking I might have Macy's MAC do my eyes since I have no talent for makeup, and then just get a pedi. My hair is longish and blond and curly so it does its own thing!!!

Roo, since you're in today, what's on your agenda? And where's MP? She's usually got us in stitches by now! Wait! Maybe she's got a date!
  • olldroo
  • olldroo
    Like I said Bobbi, I have so much on the agenda, I just deciding where to start......... what do I feel like doing most. It is such a beautiful day, the garden calls and I can always do with some Vitamin D, but I must be practical and start to unravel this mess. Definitely, first up I must ring the owner of the carpet shop and give him an earful.
  • charleee
    An earful? Why? I thought they were good installers?
  • Darzy
    Bobbi...oh yeah! Those Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans are the best! Your hair sounds like what women PAY to have! Lucky you. Mine is blonde, medium length, thin, fine, and straight as a board. But, the "volumizer" hair conditioner is working fine on my hips. :)
  • charleee
    Darzy, you're so funny! Yep, I have what women pay for, in hair anyway. I've fought it all my life with a blowdryer but I got tired of it so now I just let it be. One time in a salon this woman says to me "I PAY for that hair" and I said, "not me you didn't". hehehe I have a feeling your hips are just fine, silly :))
  • mpoulsom
    I had a date with the police! :( please pray for me tonight. not a good day. he came back down and took more stuff. thank god the locks were in on the house at least. gotta go now. i'll talk to you tomorrow ladies and germs...
  • charleee
    WHAT? How could he get in if you changed the locks? What did the police say? How can you just hit and run like this?
  • charleee
    Oh, man....
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    Bobbi, what ever you wear, wear your best color. And, you know what makes you look good. And, don't worry about looking too good. Wear what makes YOU feel good, even if you have to spend a little extra this time, you are worth it.
  • charleee
    Thanks Mary Peggy! All I can do is the best I can do, right? Maybe navy....
  • astraea
    Sorry I “fell into a hole” today, and am just coming out to play!

Handymam – it STILL hasn’t started snowing yet at 7:30 PM Wednesday! It’s just been very, very windy all day & sprinkled. The police sent a robo-call warning residents of high winds & possible flooding in low lying areas. I think we got 12” of snow a few weeks ago; fortunately it was fairly warm & didn’t last long .. after being shoveled (LOL). My cousin used to live in Frederick, MD; moved to NC. My Mom lived in Lonaconing for a short time, when I was a toddler .. I don't remember it at all
  • judianna20
    bobbi, have you and R thought about not going to the wedding? We were in the same spot as you. We did go and it was a sad day. In hindsight, we wish we had not attended; it changed nothing; we were unhappy; they, I am sure, wished we had said no. It has been 12 years and we have not seen them since.

p s we were great parents and our daughter was a loving sister…who knows why...
    Bobbi, Judyg might be right. Perhaps you should write a loving letter, and state how difficult this is for you, feeling not wanted, and the sense of loss that you are suffering, without saying anything directly negative about her. But as this is all out of your hands, and given the circumstances, what should be a very happy day will be a very difficult day for you, and may prove to be a very difficult day for him. That you have prayed about it and at this time, perhaps it would be best for you not to be there, as the sadness miight be too difficult to contain, and that you do not wish to ruin his day.

Mind you, these are my thoughts and perhaps how I said this is not the best, and others here might have a better idea. So, please feel free to comment. But, Judy is right, you are going to feel very bad. My daughter in law never even spoke to me once, at their wedding, and let me KNOW she was purposely doing so.

However, my son, thankfully is no longer with her. I think your not being there will give your son pause to think, is this what I really want? For my mom and dad to feel unwelcome in my life? But given the situation, I think you will feel damned if you do and damned if you don't. :o(
    Roo has a point too. Sorry for what you are going through Bobbi. There are just so many ways to look at it.
  • astraea
    I'm so sorry for you Bobbi & Judy! I was one of 4 grandchildren in the family .. all girls, and we were all very dutiful to the family, married or single. Don't understand why children would marry anyone so unfriendly.
  • charleee
    Roo, I remember you talking about the bad carpet guys now, sorry I forgot. And I'm glad I'm not at the receiving end of your words! Go get 'em roo!

Yes, everyone, we have thought about not attending. And when I asked her what they needed (gift wise) she said money, so I asked R if he thought 10 bucks was too much.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I miss her 3 year old, I miss taking her to the flea market and she's a real charmer! So we will go. We do not have to stay long, but we will go. Besides, it isn't often I get away for the WHOLE NIGHT!!!

Judy, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you, that's awful. I think more and more families are becoming less functional and more dysfunctional. It's kind of sad, don't you think? The same parents can raise a felon and a priest, there's no telling sometimes. I raised a saint, a felon and this one.

Mary Peggy, my son can't think of anyone or anything but himself. I doubt he cares if I attend or not. I'm not expecting anything to come of this except I get to spend time with my favorite 3-year-old!

Anyway, my plan is to go, be very quiet while I'm there, and try to find some humor in the next 2 months. So buck up Bobbi, you're doomed :))
  • charleee
    Roo, R would NEVER be proactive in that discussion, not ever. No, if I did that my son would get up and go home, there would be no discussion.

It's really the kind of thing that will take time and patience, lot's of patience. I should say however that I am done volunteering to help them with everything, from 'stuff' to money to babysitting. From here forward, they will need to ask!

This is life, right? It's just the first 100 years that are hard, after that it's a breeze! hehehe
  • olldroo
    I can assure you Bobbi, you know you are in trouble when you get my super sweet approach. I firmly believe in catching more flies with honey and it rarely fails to work.

I wouldn't give them cash, I would give them a gift certificate - maybe ToysRUs so your grand gets the benefit - heehee.

You will bounce through this Bobbi, and I'll try to find all the jokes I can for you.

BTW - are your other two invited??
  • charleee
    Gift cert at Toys R Us!! I LOVE IT!! R is sitting here laughing his butt off!

If it's ok with everyone, I'd rather talk about something else? I don't know if I can keep from crying much longer and I refuse to cry :))

I love you all, and you have no idea how much comfort you've been to me and how very much I appreciate it but it's time to move on.

Anyone have a great joke?
  • olldroo
    A health message from Maxine

As I was lying in bed pondering the problems of the world, I rapidly realized that I don't really give a darn. It's the tortoise life for me!

1. If walking/cycling is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

2. A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, and is fat.

3. A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 15 years.

4. A tortoise doesn't run and does nothing, yet it lives for 450 years.

And you tell me to exercise?? I don't think so.

I'm napping.. Go around me!
  • olldroo
    Hmmm ................ Ez, where does that put Bobbi's flipflops and my Uggs
  • olldroo
    Subject: Stress Management Technique

Just in case you are having a rough day, here is a stress management technique recommended in all the latest psychological journals. The funny thing is that it really does work and will make you smile.

Picture yourself lying on your belly on a warm rock that hangs out over a crystal clear stream.

Picture yourself with both your hands dangling in the cool running water.

Birds are sweetly singing in the cool mountain air.

No one knows your secret place.

You are in total seclusion from that hectic place called the world.

The soothing sound of a gentle water fall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

The water is so clear that you can easily make out the face of the person you are holding underwater.
  • charleee
    EZ, honestly I don't know what to say about that shoes article! I never thought about it before. Maybe they're right!

Roo, that was the best psych article I've ever read, thanks for that laugh :))
  • GaryJ P
    Good news, Baby Boomer seniors--with assistive technology, there's now the capability to weave fibers into clothing and shoeware, which can remotely help track our elder loved ones who may have chronic health issues or, also, who are cognitively affected by conditions such as dementia or Alzheimer's and who wander--at night or away from the home--due to afternoon "sundowning," etc. There is even something called a "Silver Alert" to help protect and find such individuals. Imagine, interactive clothing! :o
    Yes, let's just hope we won't be all wearing it. Isn't that what the chip is for....and you don't have to wash or iron it.

y