Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_31460063

Feel stuck- have no inspiration- HELP please!

10 years ago

Hi!

I´m Tina from Sweden. I feel stuck when it comes to decorating our entrance/hallway in our house. We use the daybed for storage but it´s also a place to relax and read.

It´s a small space but the room have lots of light, 3 windows and view of our garden. Still, haven´t got a clue on how to to make it cozy and inviting.

The room measures about 2 x 4 meters and the door is placed on the opposite wall of where the daybed is.

I would like to keep the walls white and I love the wall lamp and art we have put up.

What colours to use on the matress cover, pillows, blanket?

What about the windows? Regular curtains won´t work because of the daybed.

Lamps or other tips for decorating?

Rug?

It´s really a blank canvas.
Should I put a piece under the artwork? A small table? It has to work as a hallway as well.

The matress is a bit short in lenght, any ideas on that?


My style is eclectic but I´m open for all ideas.

Products from companies with worldwide shipping would be great too(like Etsy, Target).

Thank you!

Comments (27)

  • 10 years ago

    If it were my room, I'd use greens so as to tie in with the garden outside. A green and cream floral for the mattress. Some mossy green velvet bolsters to fill the space around the mattress. Cream linen roman shades with 5cm green borders for the windows. A plaid wool throw for cuddles.

    Green And Ivory Floral Abstract Indoor Outdoor Upholstery Fabric By The Yard · More Info

    Tuscany Lambswool Plaid · More Info


    Villa Round Bolster, Fern · More Info

    User thanked Jennifer K
  • 10 years ago

    Here are lots of inspiration pics on Houzz. Save those you like to an ideabook on your homepage.


    http://www.houzz.com.au/photos/query/window-seats/nqrwns

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Pick a color or 2 or several, brighten up the space. Roman shades on windows in the color of your choice. Rug.. Replace picture with one with color. Side table for morning coffee, can be used for 1 or 2 people.

    User thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    I feel like a few white and yellow throw pillows could add a bright feel, or maybe even some deep red ones if you want to add a deeper comfy feeling.

    User thanked Trevor Jones
  • 10 years ago

    Green and navy

    User thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    Mine is a window seat, not a day bed, but you get the idea!
    User thanked altadavey
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A fluffy rug and a fluffy blanket. Some pillows. I wouldn't go overboard with colors there. You have a gorgeous setup that only needs a little bit more work.

    User thanked Shoa Gallery
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would duplicate the roman blinds you have on the adjoining windows and don't pull them as tight, so they soften the windows. You could add a wood stump as a table for your mug of coffee! (see last picture) placed under your art (size of art is fine) and a small fake fur rug on the floor. Creams, browns, soft blue or grey - keep it feeling natural and restful and let the view be the star with your décor complimenting. A long bolster pillow along the back section vs lots of pillows, so it has wider space for resting and concentrate the pillows at one end for your head rest and leave room for your feet - just place a lovely mohair throw on the end. I live in Canada and have similar weather and I would therefore make it cozy, warm and inviting. Adding handles to the drawers (see 2nd pic) may be a nice touch. Ikea may have some good choices and/or go to some small shops to find interesting textures and designs and add slowly when you find just the right item. You could also purchase fabrics and have a local seamstress cover the bench seat and pillows (some could have rope trim for example or a wooden button in the middle of a flap over).

    "green" remodel · More Info

    Cook · More Info
    Cow Hair Chevron Decorative Pillow, Gray · More Info

    Annette Taupe Faux Mohair Throw · More Info

    Lumbar Linen Rope Pillow Cover · More Info

    Malibu Home with a Scandinavian Flair · More Info

    User thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago

    Lovely ideas above. I'm going for preserving the simplicity. And I want you to keep that picture there. (I see a very pale blush background on it, hence my choice of cushion colour.) I couldn't find a suitable small chest to be your hall table, but I'd look for one in either black or white. Put some greenery on it.

    https://www.houzz.com/products/missoni-home-federico-throw-blanket-black-and-white-prvw-vr~2255829

    http://www.polyvore.com/10x20_pink_lumbar_pillow_cover/thing?id=61356519

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50277393/

    User thanked Rina
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A pale blue and white ticking stripe on the mattress cover would tie in with the pillow you have, or you could make it a bigger pillow in a soft floral. Make the large art I mentioned earlier in soft shades to blue and green.

    User thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 10 years ago

    Here's a mockup of what I was thinking, though I would probably not mix a floral pillow with a floral mattress.

    User thanked Jennifer K
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Tina, we've given you lots of ideas. Please tell us if you like any of them, or hate them all! It's hard for us to move ahead without hearing from you.

    User thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you so much everyone! There´s a lot of creativity out there and I have listened to all of your advice.

    This has really got me going and I feel inspired again. I have just started a new moodboard for the room and have come up with a couple of ideas out of your ideas. Would love to hear what you think:-)!

    Down below I have just switched out the colour of the sheepskin into a grey one.

    And here´s my second moodboard.

    Another alternative for the windows in this one down below.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So now I´m all over the place. I think what I need to start with is to decide if I should use the tree stump or the 'antique' table under the wall lamp?

    Would love to hear what you think.

    Having them both like in the moodboards did not work in this little area.

    Thank you!

  • 10 years ago

    I like the antique table better. Looks lighter, lifts the room. Your moodboards look great. The grey sheepskin feels more modern to me. Love the grey, white, black and pink colour scheme.

    User thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Love reading nooks. It's amazing how a little space is perfect for reading or knitting, daydreaming or scheming.

    www.jossandmain.com is my favorite site for pillows. PILLOWS FROM JOSS & MAIN: I could look at these pillows forever. I think I might have an obsession. The way to navigate what they have, is to click on a pic and then scroll down to "more for you". There are hundreds. They have great quality and most are available with down/feather inserts.

    www.allmodern.com has everything under the sun with a good selection of small tables and ottomans. Especially good when running a sale.

    I would install a bookcase at the wall end at the right- the same depth as the cushion with the lower shelves for a wall hung light, and a bowl of fruit and the upper shelves for books. See pic below.

    I happen to like simple curtains and not completely bare windows. It's not for privacy, it's to frame the view. Think of it as a frame for a special piece of art.

    Move down the existing reading light.

    Paint the base of the bench a color or dark brown so the focus is on the cushion and pillows.

    Since everyone will kick off their shoes, add a rug.

    Paint the area a soft color to enhance the pillows and cushion cover. This vignette should be a little set design.

    Add a little side table and add an ottoman also.

    I would have like to see a darker paint on the base.

    User thanked Denise Marchand
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I, too, prefer the antique table.

    User thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 10 years ago

    The antique table is better. But I think a demi-lune table might fit best. e.g.


    User thanked Jennifer K
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    While a demilune would be against the wall and therefore out of the way, the round antique table works very well as a small cocktail table, allowing you to move it to anywhere you want in front of the mattress so that you can place a cup of coffee or glass of wine on it.

    User thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago


    That table would work fine if about same height as bed. I like it.

    User thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    What a fantastic space to work with! I would go with a red and white or ivory geometric print to cover the base cushion. Darkening the base would be more expensive maybe but in the alternative also could help it pop. Maybe just a few bigger cushions, not too many. Good luck!
    User thanked Rachel S
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What is the height of the mattress and also of the demilune?

  • 10 years ago

    I loved the tree stump until I saw the delicate wood one. I adore it. Roman shades if you even need any window coverings. Less will be more. Just 2 or 3 more pillows I think.

    Riviera Stripe Cordless Roman Shade, 26 x 64", Sandalwood · More Info

    Capri Windowpane Pillow · More Info

    Teal Leaf Cushion · More Info

    Aegean Lustre Linen Pillow · More Info

    User thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Love the white/grey european linen pillow! Thanks for sharing.

    I'll probably work arond the antique table.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the out doors colors brought in there.

  • 10 years ago
    If you will truly use this space rather than just a decorated view, then I suggest large, supportive rectangular pillows (probably two) at the end where the picture is. This can support your back for reading and enjoying your garden view. Less is more. I think an evergreen covering for the seating so you don't have to be concerned with any marring. Some creams and whites in one or two other smaller throw pillows - perhaps something botanical.
    For the floor I would use either the faux fur rug or sisal. Select a pull up chair at the corner of the foot end. Use a garden stool for your coffee cup table or other moveable table as large as space allows.
    The curtains you already have in place work perfectly to soften the view.