Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosydreams

Question pls, regarding pruning up Mutabilis into a tree.

Hello everyone, I live in SoCal and have a 3 yr old Mutabilis that is finally starting to (awkwardly) take off. :) it's planted in a spot that is too shady and close to our community mailbox so should be moved.

I came across these pics on Pinterest of Mutabilis train into a tree shape, that seems so lovely and graceful. It really inspired me. Forgive me for not crediting the owner, they weren't labeled.

I was wondering how hard it would be to train Mutabilis like this and keep it in that shape? I have a location where something like this would look lovely but I'm wondering if it would be a battle to rein her in.

Also in the pics it's branches seem to weep, while mine presently seems to just shoot long limbs straight out and up. Is that weeping effect from careful pruning?

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts,

geetha

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    I can't tell what you have to do to get this shape but I can tell you that you will have to wait 30 odd years to get a plant like the ones in the pics.

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked nikthegreek
  • 10 years ago

    Nik took the words right out of my mouth. That is a very very very mature plant. I would not live long enough to accomplish that.

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked jerijen
  • 10 years ago

    Wow. I'd wait at least five years and then select three canes as trunks and prune away the rest. Then in a few more years narrow it down to one or two. Chinas are twiggy growers and it will take awhile for you to see which canes are straightest and strongest. I dont think the one in the picture is weeping so much as weighed down and also Chinas grow in every direction!

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked catsrose
  • 10 years ago

    Lol, yes, I should have realized it was very mature. Ah well, it's gorgeous! Thank you for your thoughts. I don't know anyone in real life who knows the names of any roses, other than Iceberg maybe, much less can advise on them.

  • 10 years ago

    rosydreams, I won't ask how old you are, but if you're under 40, and don't intend to ever move from where you live now, go for it! I love tree-form teas, but where I garden I'm lucky to get teas and chinas to survive at all, and I'm envious of all the old specimens I see in CA. A tree-form mutabilis would be a worthwhile lifetime accomplishment as far as I'm concerned!

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • 10 years ago

    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.
    There's a huge difference. EYE wouldn't do it -- because I am 73 years old. Lacking a medical miracle, I could not bring it to fruition.

    But if my next door neighbor probably could. I should suggest it to her. :-)


    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked jerijen
  • 10 years ago

    A tree Mutabilis - that is awesome!

  • 10 years ago

    You can grow a Polar Joy rose tree to that size in 5 years. :-)

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    In Florida,Mutabilis is a very fast grower. I'd say 5 years max.

  • 9 years ago

    Personally I AM planning to live that long. But not planning to take on that particular project!

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked Rosefolly z5
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I don't know how long it would take to obtain a tree-form self-sustaining shrub. A large Tea or China trained up a support I'm guessing would be much less than thirty years. I've seen 'Mutabilis' grown up trees as a climber on Lago di Garda, and a plant in a local garden, seen years ago, that I remember as being roughly the size of our living room. Probably memory exaggerates, but it was impressively large. My 15'x10'x10' 'Archduke Joseph' (I know I can't stop talking about it) comes from a minute cutting started in 2002 or 2003, so as a rooted plant is twelve or thirteen years old. It has favorable growing conditions but has never been pampered.

    I mention support because my experience confirms what I read somewhere: many large shrubby roses will climb if they have something to hang on to; may will also climb if they need to do so to reach the light. Of course none of this is to the point if you want a self-supporting treelike rose. About that I have nothing to contribute.

    rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8) thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Rosydreams, do you think you'd be so gracious to attach a photo of what your Mutabilis looks like now? I planted one here in an effort do the same thing. But, being 2 yrs old, it's a long way off. But, time passes.