FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

mlissca

Tomatoville down?

mlissca

Has anyone been able to get into tomatoville today?

• Micky Tkac

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that I was able to join Tomatoville. It only took about 2 weeks to get approved.

• ken

You are lucky. I have been trying for months to join and still no luck.

• carolyn137

Micky,I just saw you at Tville and welcomed you.

Carolyn

Carolyn

• carolyn137

Ken, did you see my comment above about Mischka deleting all those waiting in line and the reasons why?

I highly suggest that you reregister and hope that it takes less time.I know you can't see the Town Hall Forum there but there were many who just got in.

Carolyn

• Rachel Campbell

I find this thread fascinating. I own an active forum with over 100,000 members and I have never, ever had this kind of drama. If the admin has reasons for not accepting new registration, that's completely his prerogative; however, not advising guests that no registrations are accepted and wasting their time while they jump through hoops IS just lazy. That software's admin panel isn't difficult to navigate. Secretive reasons? Forum wars for gardening discussion boards? That's over the top. I read and followed all of the instructions to apply for membership and courtesy dictates that my application be accepted or denied according to the terms of the site, free or not. If an admin can't do that, then they shouldn't run a forum. It has been over 30 days since I applied. It's like I'm on a Tomato Terrorist Watch List or something. "Tomatoville has a lot of enemies." Like who? Zucchini World? Even if approved at this point, I doubt I would even participate based on how guests are treated. It's a shame because I bet there are a lot of knowledgeable people there I could learn from.

• carolyn137

(I doubt I would even participate based on how guests are treated. It's a shame because I bet there are a lot of knowledgeable people there I could learn from).I seldom come back to Houzz anymore, But the above comment from Rachel is,for me, beyond belief, showing me that she'd read little/none of the posts above hers.

Carolyn

• Rachel Campbell

I read most of them. Didn't need to waste 30 more minutes on it though. I was searching the net after checking on my membership for about the 30th time and came across this thread. Like I said, as an admin in the same position as this Mischka person with three times as many members to deal with, there is no reason to mislead your potential new members by claiming you'll do one thing and then simply not doing it. If you can't do it, find help. Or say you can't. It's just rude to make guests waste their time after claiming in writing that approval takes 48 hours. It's a bad first impression no matter how you try to justify it. I followed all the steps, responded to activation email, emailed the webmaster with questions as instructed (it bounced back) and heard nothing. My comment echoed several others above, so after 30 days I finally have my answer that "it isn't me, it's you." I will go elsewhere and participate. Case closed.

• daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX, Sunset z30)

I've applied a few times. Never got in. But let's face it. It's a free service. No one is paying anything to join. This Mischka guy doesn't really owe anyone anything. It's a crappily run forum, but that's just the facts. Welcome to the real world.

• ncrealestateguy

It may be the real world, but it is still unprofessional and rude. You are welcome here, Rachel.

I suspect the forum was started with good intentions by the organizer, but things just got out of hand. I suppose he could just shut the whole thing down. Would that be less rude? I suspect professionalism doesn't apply here. This isn't his job. It would be nice of him to hand it off to someone with more time, who could do it justice, however.

• carolyn137

Rest assured that I will NEVER again come to Houzz.

Carolyn, who can also assure you that Tville is running just fine, I was there not 10 minutes ago. If only this site had Global Mods to keep things in check, that would be just wonderful. Yes,you can ask for one to come here at the bottom of the page,BUT....

• mlissca

Well, interesting to come back two years later to see what a thread has morphed into. And who has done the morphing. I will say this: kindness, patience and good manners online, as in real life, should always be practiced. Common courtesy is lacking greatly these days and is needed badly. No one should get a pass for lack of civility, no matter who they think they are.

Tomatoville is not running "just fine" for me, because it is next to impossible to subscribe. Glad it's running "just fine" for you. But since you're not coming back here anymore, I guess it doesn't matter much.

• ncrealestateguy

I believe Carolyn has threatened us with that before...

I don't understand why she is so upset when people only explain that they are disappointed that they can not get into Tomatoville.

• Earl LG

Hmmm. I actually came here because I was having trouble getting registered at Tomatoville, and saw that Carolyn was posting to this forum. I thought I might get some assistance with that. Unfortunately this thread makes it seem unlikely.

My experience mirrors others, registered ok, got the "you'll need to be approved" email. Followed up with email days later when nothing seemed to be happening, but that bounced. Tried the contact form on the forum, no response.

• carolyn137

I said back on June 17 th that I would never come back to Houzz again and yet here I am now and why .

I have never seen so much misinformation posted here lately, NEVER.

Those of you who are doing so much complaining do you know that you can go to Tville as a GUEST and read all but a few Forums. Do you know that Mischka had to delete several hundreds of those waiting to be approved and those also included 3 long time friends of mine.

Currently I think there are about 20 waiting in line,and the one person who first PMed about a a very unique problem I told him to select a new user name and go thru the application process again and that he may have to wait for several weeks,yea months, before anything happens.

So those of you who have complained so much lately, go over to Tville as a guest, no registration needed and look for yourself. No, you can't read several Forums such as the Off Topic Forum or the two seed subforums or use the private message feature or see pictures..

But I'd rather you see for yourself that Tville is thriving and for that I'm not the only one who is pleased.

Carolyn, who was 79 last month,is now permanently home bound, gets meals on wheels,some are edible, has two local ladies who help her, one is a true caregiver, the other one does the outside stuff, and yes, in the side yard here there are only 10 tomato plants and F brings in fruits for M to pack for my evening meal. Thanks in advance for better understanding what a situation is ,or is not, by directly experiencing it rather than by word of mouth/posting here.I was sent here as a Global Moderator as I am at Tville as well, and before Houzz became the owners.Finally,it won't be too long before I'll be disappearing but while I don't read here as I used to, pre Houzz, as far as I can remember there are registered Tville members who are still here, so look to them for help if you need it.After many decades participating at MANY message sites I need time off to color in my coloring books, listen to all the music U Tubes I have in my faves, and most of all read the many hundreds of books I have here which I haven't read, which doesn't stop me from ordering more,and read all the magazines I sub to which mostly deal with ancient history, archaeology , etc.

• Earl LG

I appreciate you supporting your forum, but I don't think you're reasonable. Most of us don't just want to read the messages. We'd like to participate. In particular, we have questions we'd like to get help on.

I haven't seen a clear explanation of why the owner isn't approving people. And if that's the policy, then change to registration page to say that new members aren't being accepted. This wastes people's for no reason.

• mlissca

Well it looks like TVille has been shut down indefinitely.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Until further notice whatever than means. It's been pretty quiet over there recently with not much participation. Not unusual in the off season.

It was up and running this morning.

• Labradors

It was supposed to go dark on 31/12/19, but seems to have closed down earlier :(

• ddsack

Well, I can only hope it went down early so that Mischka can perhaps work on or consider transferring the old files to some archival spot elsewhere. Shame to lose all the historical material if he no longer wants to be the custodian. But don't blame him for feeling like it's time to hang it up.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'm not sure he has intentions to archive any files. It is down. Even the end of year shutdown announcement forever time-frame became a scramble last night/this morning to make e-mail connections quickly...thought I had a few weeks.

I have collaborations going on in the dwarf project and 6 micros with a member reaching stable...two are stable now and was just sent another two seed varieties to start F2 hunting.

If bickering and off-topic eye-rolling was an issue, delete '2 cents' and any off topic discussions. Yes, it was an issue.

Forums should evolve and change. Tomatoville has never been silent. A year round information forum like no other. Stick to tomatoes and gardening it would have thrived but some members took over using it for personal daily life struggles insulting others. Personal world view insults that had good members tip-toeing out of the sandbox.

I'm not surprised it is ending. A shame all the good is lost. So many chances to get rid of the bad seeds, but not mine or anyones choice. It just never happened. Moderators non-existent, moved on. Tired of it I suppose.

I never knew the owner. He never once posted in my time there. (5-6 years?) Just a couple random announcements or a few scoldings for bad behavior.

• Mokinu

Labradors, You mean for maintenance or some other purpose?

• Mokinu

I never saw any announcement (and I have looked at the new posts regularly for a while now). What did it say?

• Jamie

I’m not a member of Tomatoville, however I am on Craig LeHoullier‘s email list. This was in the message he sent out today:

Breaking news - one more significant change - it appears as though the Tomatoville website will close down on December 31.

that seems official.

• Labradors

Shule: sad, but true. TV was going to close down on Dec 31, but it now looks as if it is happening sooner than that :(.

Slevendog said it very well. Someone should have got rid of the "bad seeds" ages ago.

• roper2008

Just yesterday Mishka announced in a thread, where there was a squabble, that he was closing Tomatoville 12/31/19. I was surprised to see it shutdown this afternoon.

• Barb Miller

I'm feeling sad like I'm losing old friends. First it was Garden Web and now Tomatoville.

• rileyblue7a

I'm crazy, and screen-shot things I deem notable, yesterday's announcement was one of those things.

• ddsack

Well it could very well be closed for good, as Mischka has never felt he owed anyone any explanations, but the website just says Closed until Further Notice, so I'm still hoping he is trying to figure out placing the archival stuff, if only as tribute to honor Carolyn's postings that he claims to hold in high regard, as well as so many other important contributors, including the intensive Dwarf Project developments over the years. He did recognize the value of iDig info when he bought that site when it first went under, but it didn't survive due to too much of his time with maintenance from hacker interference. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• hl260

I for one am surprised and saddened. All that great info just gone? I am hopeful something will save it. Not sure who, how or what...maybe a Christmas miracle. While some did cluck around and quibble, for the most part it was a great place with many caring people and certainly very knowledgeable people who were willing to help others regarding our mutual passion. A sad day.... Thank you rileyblue for posting the final communication. I wasn't online so missed it.

• Mokinu

Thanks for the information. Sunday is the one day I don't use TV. So, that explains it.

• rileyblue7a

It's back up, and this was posted (13 hours ago, but the site has been down all day, so not many saw it) :

• Labradors

I just joined the new forum, started by Rajan Gardener: Tomatovillians.com.

• Barb Miller

I did too. I hope the old forums survives but just in case it doesn't.

• ddsack

Thanks for that, Labradors! Not sure yet if I want to join, but at least now I know where to find the link.

• Labradors

I know what you mean ddsack. Still feeling stunned and sad at the loss of Tomatoville :(. Nothing can ever replace it.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Thanks for the link! I never joined TV but plan to join this new forum. I hope most of the old members do to.

• Labradors

Sounds good LoneJack :). We need forums with knowledgeable and keen tomato growers!

• thedante

I just joined them too! Thanks for the link! Finally able to join a forum. GardenWeb is a wee bit tricky to navigate honestly. I am excited!

• thedante

Thanks Shule for the tip. I still check this forum everynow and then =)

Karen

• Mokinu

I decided to register, too. Things are looking great. (It's down atm, though.)

• Mokinu

It's back up.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I just joined this morning and posted in the introduction thread.

• thedante

Thanks Labradors for the headsup =)

• DEF DEF

Being able to see the photos is a huge part of the enjoyment and education of the participants. As is asking questions or ability to make comments If you truly want to be an active member. A member need only never sign in to understand how the sites value is diminished.

The new forum , formed when TV announced it was closing down, had to change its name

tomatojunction.com

(I appreciate that houzz allows it members to refer to other sites in the same genre.)

• gorbelly

Just FYI, Mischka decided to keep it up, but he'll be moving to a subscription model. No information on the timeline for this. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49873

• stevie

I registered to join roughly 3 times over the past couple years and my account was never activated. if they couldn't maintain a website, not even something simple by approving new-users, what makes them think people are interested in a subscription based site? sounds like another disaster.. if they were having financial trouble keeping the site running, then they should of just had a donation page where their small group of approved forum users could submit a contribution.

they could of also passed down the some of the responsibility to approve new users to someone else, including help maintaining the site. surely they could of picked a few regulars to maintain that and i'm sure some wouldn't mind.

it's unfortunate as the site has potential to grow. And again, could of likely been self-sustained with donations. as a former web dev/admin, i can think of a bunch of things. perhaps donators could receive special perks and forum features, etc. there is a lot that can be done. it's also much easier to have a site financially maintain itself when you have a growing website of new members, rather than turning them away by not allowing them to participate..

• ddsack

Well, there is no "they", there is only "he" as in Mishka the admin. His website, his money, his choice! One man band. The information and users there were top notch as far as any tomato related website, which is why it gets praise from those who were able to join. But many of the active users have also now migrated over to the Tomato Junction, where the admin atmosphere is more of a group effort, so I expect it will eventually be very similar to Tville, and much easier to join. Still, there is ten years of very valuable growing information at Tville from old time experts that are no longer posting.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I very seldom come back here as there is not a lot of activity any more (:>( ) I remember when this was a busy informative forum. I never tried to get into TV as it sounded not very welcoming but I do enjoy the new TJ.