Software
Houzz Logo Print
kunjalss

Need help for living room!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago


I want to make the layout of the living room better.Its a small living room that has 2 sides open for movement. One side is a window and one side faces the stairs and the corner has a huge fireplace.here are some pics to give an idea, please help me out here.

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    Hi, I just uploaded the pic. Its the dining room leading to the backyard and next to it is the kitchen with a big open window facing the stairs

  • 10 years ago

    Looks like you like bright, primary colors. Is that right?

  • 10 years ago

    Although I'm not usually a fan, I think your mantel is low enough that you could mount that tv above the fireplace and solve most of your furniture arranging problems. It's huge, but it's going to be huge wherever it is in that small room and then you could arrange your furniture facing the tv, fireplace and looking out the window.


    Maybe add some trim to make it look more built in, like this:


  • 10 years ago

    Try angling the sofas so that they turn into the fireplace more, if that makes sense. One reason this might be a little more challenging is that your furniture is modern and your home more traditional. (I like your house, by the way, with the corner fireplace and stairs coming into the room. Has the potential to be very cozy. Also love your big window! Heavy drapes hanging from the ceiling to the sides would really bring it out and enhance your room more than you would believe.) If you don't mount your TV over the fireplace, hang the largest mirror you can over it to fill up the above wall space. With the sofas, you want to make a sitting area sort of enfolding the fireplace.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the help.
    I am typing this again since houzz hates me.
    The house was dark reddish brown, almost brick like for two years until I finally convinced everyone to change it. So after it being depressing, I just went bright white and plan to add some wall decor in colours to cheer it up. Also I am a minimalist so I prefer simple decor.
    The TV is 55 inches, hence it doesn't fit on the fireplace. So I was thinking a dark mantle to match the floor and plants on it, to bring some green and life.
    I have tried angling the sofas, but they again are too big for the space to allow movement.
    I thought maybe the one wall could have the TV, but it definitely become too close to view it and if I leave it as it is, it blocks the staircase. I am not sure which is the better option.
    dilemma!!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Smaller tv above the fireplace? What is the width of the fireplace wall?


  • 10 years ago
    Wall to wall at the edge, the fireplace is 54 inches and the TV length is 50 inches.
    the fireplace is 47 inches high.
    so except for the wall painting and countertop I have done the work myself, keeping the costs low. Honestly I feel I'd rather buy a new sofa set in a couple of years than build a wall. I want to save up for the unfinished basement and the backyard that has no furniture for now.